I have a surgery on wednesday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iownhonda

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a surgery on next wednesday (to remove swollen lymph nodes in my neck), and I am very afraid that something might go wrong. The surgeon made it clear to me the surgery is monor and that I should not be afraid, but for some reason, I am very skeptical of that statement.

Also I am a bit terrified of being put to sleep manually (using anesthetic gas). It seems so unnatural to me.

Anyways, is it normal to be a little bit afraid at this point? He is not lying to me so that he can proceed with the surgery is he?

Also, a receptionist at the hospital in which the surgery will probably take place, told me that the surgical room that I'll be in is generally used for surgeries that are not high risk-taking.

Even with these assurances, I still have a doubt primarily because I've never underwent a surgery before.

Anyways I am asking this because, I know some of you guys are doctors and med students, and have many experiences in either performing or observing surgeries. I guess I just wanted emotional support, after all, it's my neck he is fixing.

Members don't see this ad.

first off, there's real risk involved in any surgery, even the simplest ones. btw, lymphadenectomy isn't usually a huge surgery. nonetheless, please ask your surgeon about specifics re: your concerns.

next, you won't be put to sleep with an anesthetic gas. That technique is only used in children. Most likely you'll be "put to sleep" with an IV medication, after which your airway will be secured and gas will be given during the surgery. Be sure to speak with your anesthesiologist before the operation if you have any questions/concerns about this.

best of luck.

I'm a pre-med, but I have had three surgeries myself which have involved general anesthesia. We all have our apprehensions and fears before having surgery, even if it is not the first time. Don't feel like you are worrying too much, because that is natural.

For the surgeries I've had, I've had more contact with the anesthesiology staff on the day of surgery than anyone else, which is a good thing because they are so friendly and nice and eager to help you get through it all. I didn't see my surgeon before the surgeries began, but only after them when I was coming out of anesthesia just for a minute.

The anesthesiologist really made the experiences (i've had the same one for all three) fairly pleasant. He met with me before the surgery, and was there when I was being taken to the OR after being in pre-op for several hours. When you get to the OR, he is there talking to you and making you feel relaxed. They usually will give you a sedative in pre-op to calm you down, or you can ask for one as well. My anesthesiologist was there when I was waking up, and the surgical nurses were nice as well.

There are a few unpleasantries associated with having general anesthesia, such as the sore throat that comes from being intubated, being groggy for a few days, and the nausea and vomiting. (I haven't eaten potato soup since the day I threw it up 1 day post-op), as well as being required to void in the presence of others before being released from a day-surgery unit. :laugh: But you will get through it, and be much less fearful if you ever require surgery again in the future. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I had abdominal surgeries, but some aspects will be similar to a neck procedure. And good luck with it, anticipation is the worst part, you'll feel so much better once it's over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
mustangsally65 said:
I'm a pre-med, but I have had three surgeries myself which have involved general anesthesia. We all have our apprehensions and fears before having surgery, even if it is not the first time. Don't feel like you are worrying too much, because that is natural.

For the surgeries I've had, I've had more contact with the anesthesiology staff on the day of surgery than anyone else, which is a good thing because they are so friendly and nice and eager to help you get through it all. I didn't see my surgeon before the surgeries began, but only after them when I was coming out of anesthesia just for a minute.

The anesthesiologist really made the experiences (i've had the same one for all three) fairly pleasant. He met with me before the surgery, and was there when I was being taken to the OR after being in pre-op for several hours. When you get to the OR, he is there talking to you and making you feel relaxed. They usually will give you a sedative in pre-op to calm you down, or you can ask for one as well. My anesthesiologist was there when I was waking up, and the surgical nurses were nice as well.

There are a few unpleasantries associated with having general anesthesia, such as the sore throat that comes from being intubated, being groggy for a few days, and the nausea and vomiting. (I haven't eaten potato soup since the day I threw it up 1 day post-op), as well as being required to void in the presence of others before being released from a day-surgery unit. :laugh: But you will get through it, and be much less fearful if you ever require surgery again in the future. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I had abdominal surgeries, but some aspects will be similar to a neck procedure. And good luck with it, anticipation is the worst part, you'll feel so much better once it's over with.

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. My surgeon told me that I would be able to go home in the afternoon of the same day of the surgery, which is an indication that the surgery isn't one of the more serious ones that requires a careful subsequent supervision in the hospital.

I appreciate you for replying. I know that it's a good experience to be actually involved in a surgery yourself if you are planning on becoming a physician one day, so that you have a better idea of what patients go through (both emotionally and physically) during the preparation and actual surgical procedure itself.

Iownhonda said:
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. My surgeon told me that I would be able to go home in the afternoon of the same day of the surgery, which is an indication that the surgery isn't one of the more serious ones that requires a careful subsequent supervision in the hospital.

I appreciate you for replying. I know that it's a good experience to be actually involved in a surgery yourself if you are planning on becoming a physician one day, so that you have a better idea of what patients go through (both emotionally and physically) during the preparation and actual surgical procedure itself.

I just had my neck operated on and they snatched out a lymphnode for good measure as well. Once the versed (think xanax on steroids) hits you in the preop area you won't care anymore.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Personally, it was a little weird having the residents I work with intubate me. However we were all joking around before the surgery and it was actually more calming than versed. Not saying you have to joke around with your anesthesiologist, but you may. At least you know someone else on SDN went through a similar experience.

Just enjoy the vicodin afterwards and the couple of days of R&R you'll get. Worry about what movie you are going to rent.

Vent

Iownhonda,
I've had two surgeries identical to the one you are about to have. Once in high school and the other a few years ago both to remove a swollen lymph node in my neck. You will go home the same day and sleep off the anesthesia. I had virtually no pain afterwards.

The first surgery was to remove an anterior cervical chain lymph node high up on my neck. Recently I noticed decreased muscle strength in my patisma (sp) on the same side. After taking anatomy I realized that the location of the scar I have is very close to where the facial nerve comes out of the parotid to innervate this muscle. I have probably had this weakness since the surgery, but had not even notice it untill 10yrs later. BTW I really have to flex my patisma to notice a difference which is why I never really noticed it.

My only problem with my second surgery was with the guy that put in my IV. He violently stabbed my hand. I was feeling the pain of that assault for months afterward. This time I had an occipital lymph node removed.

You say "next Wednesday," but in case you mean tomorrow, good luck with your surgery in the morning. I'm sure everything will be fine. :thumbup: