I have absolutely nothing to put on a CV and I'm in my third year. How can I get started?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm in my third year now and I've done absolutely nothing other than pass my classes. I'm interested in doing Psych and want to be able to put anything on my CV as I realize it's going to be awful to have absolutely nothing to put on there. I haven't been part of any clubs, haven't done any research....nothing. I know I'm playing from behind at this point, so any advice as to where I could get started would be good. I have a decent step (231) and bad comlex (495) if that makes a difference regarding anything. Let me know if more information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Join some clubs, and do some research? :shrug: Seriously, these things don't magically appear. The hardest part is just overcoming the momentum of doing nothing and putting yourself out there.

If your school has an interest group, join--a lot of the activities are kind of bogus, but it gives you something to talk about in your interviews and gives you access to mentorship through your department.

Research isn't necessary for psych, so if you don't want to do it you don't have to. But it's another avenue to get mentorship, and if you can see a project through to publication that's a really nice feather in your cap.

Reactions: 2 users
Join some clubs, and do some research? :shrug: Seriously, these things don't magically appear. The hardest part is just overcoming the momentum of doing nothing and putting yourself out there.

If your school has an interest group, join--a lot of the activities are kind of bogus, but it gives you something to talk about in your interviews and gives you access to mentorship through your department.

Research isn't necessary for psych, so if you don't want to do it you don't have to. But it's another avenue to get mentorship, and if you can see a project through to publication that's a really nice feather in your cap.

Thank you for the reply. So my school is kind of weird in that it sends most of its students away to different cities for their clinical years rather than keeping them near campus, so I'm not sure if I can even join anything at this point. Also I've never done research before and have no connections in this new town I'm in, so I'm struggling to figure out how I would get started in this respect too. Kind of a mess of a situation. I should probably contact someone from my school I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should probably contact someone from my school I guess.
Agreed--it's never straightforward figuring how to get started on these kinds of things, though it does sound like you have some extra roadblocks. Sending the initial messages and continuing to be persistent until you get a response is key.

So my school is kind of weird in that it sends most of its students away to different cities for their clinical years rather than keeping them near campus
Your school isn't alone. Most DO schools do this.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure how useful your career services department is, but they might have some info, or any upperclassmen / alumni who are applying psych or have matched psych.

If you aren't into research then at least try and do a case report. I would even say it's easier to write a cool case report in psych than it is in other branches of medicine.

Not sure how much it helps, but you can try Online courses and certifications. I remeber doing some in Suicide Prevention.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply. So my school is kind of weird in that it sends most of its students away to different cities for their clinical years rather than keeping them near campus, so I'm not sure if I can even join anything at this point. Also I've never done research before and have no connections in this new town I'm in, so I'm struggling to figure out how I would get started in this respect too. Kind of a mess of a situation. I should probably contact someone from my school I guess.

If you want to get involved in research there are several ways I can think of. If you're in a program with residents, try reaching out to them. They have to do research projects usually to graduate, so they need a scut monkey. Sell your soul for an author position.

If not, ask your Attendings if they're involved in research and if you can help out. Or keep an eye out for a cool case you think can be written up and approach an attending you think would be open to it.