I have an interview on Wednesday!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so it isn't a REAL interview, but it is my Pre-Med committee interview.

Any pointers? (The search function ins't working for me right now)

What are some important current events?

Is it ok to be funny during the interview? (yes, i know, BE YOURSELF, but do they accept sarcasm?)

What kind of advice would you give to a first timer?

Thanks to all.

Members don't see this ad.

I would stay away from the sarcasm, if you want to do humor only do it if it comes naturally to you. Personally I stayed away from it during interviews, but some people are ok using humor.

humor can be tricky. i personally use humor, and sarcasm especially, in everything, and i've found that it can work for you in interviews, but only if the interviewer is the right kind of person. you should be able to get a feeling for whether they'd be receptive to sarcasm (ie, do they have a sense of humor at all) pretty early on. if you think they'd be ok with it, humor can be something that sets you apart from other interviewees and also makes you memorable to an interviewer, so they're more likely to remember you and really advocate you during committee reviews. but if you get the feeling that your interviewer isn't gonna crack a smile no matter what, try going for the more serious approach.

most important, though, is to be yourself. even if your interviewer is very laid back, if you don't normally use humor in conversations, don't try to start during med school interviews. there are better times to experiment with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can be witty and charming (in fact, you probably should be), but no Curb Your Enthusiasm type sarcasm.

jarrod_dale said:
What are some important current events?

Umm. I think there is a war going on and I also believe the Roe vs Wade decision is under fire. Also, America spends a sum of money on health care that is larger than most countries' GNP.