I have both TPR and TBR books...what should I use to be efficient?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NN88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have only so much time to study each day fully.

Should I focus on using the TBR and then complementing that with the TPR content or should I work the other way around by using mainly the TPR content over the TBR content?

I just want to make sure that I'm not spending too much time reading and more time doing problems.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I focus on using the TBR and then complementing that with the TPR content or should I work the other way around by using mainly the TPR content over the TBR content?

I just want to make sure that I'm not spending too much time reading and more time doing problems.

Use TBR for PS (passages and content). Use TPR for everything else. If you have TPRH-SW, make sure you do all the questions in it...

Thats it?

So physics chem TBR, orgo/bio TPRH?

That's exactly what I'm doing.

TBR follows the AAMC content outline to the tee.

TPR was very lacking in physics and chem (ex. TPR barely has two pages over solubility, whereas TBR has eight pages with several examples presented).

TPR has been good for me in biology and orgo, though.

However, once I'm done with reviewing orgo, I'm going to supplement the topics I'm weak in with TBR organic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would actually recommend for you to try out both TPR and TBR on Physics and find out which style suits you better.

I started out with TBR but ended up switching over to TPR (around electrostatic and magnetism chapter), and I sort of wish now I just started the whole thing with TPR. It just feel much easier to follow through, and TPR actually explains background knowledges step by step whereas TBR rushes quite a bit.

As for gchem, I prefer a combo of EK and TBR. EK for the general ideas and TBR for more in depth review on topics that are confusing.

For biological science, I would just stick to TPR. No reason to touch anything else IMO (maybe except EK for quick overview).

I would use TPRH just for bio and then do TBR for bio supplement. After taking a practice FL, I can see now why someone advised me to use TPRH for bio over TBR. The length of the passages in TBR are way out of proportion with the length of AAMC, they are also much more difficult in TBR and require you to be done with content review to answer. I would do TBR for orgo still.

Not exactly what you are asking but..

It's been recommended before that people do every 3rd passage of TBR if concerned about getting bogged down. You can then read the sections you wish to score better on, followed by every 3rd problem again (starting with a different number: 1, 4, 7... then 2, 5, 8...). Can't compare TPR and TBR since I don't have TPR yet.

The general consensus is that BR is the best for physics, general chemistry, and organic chemistry. Pretty much every survey reaches this conclusion (along with the replies in this thread so far), so I feel confident saying that should be the basis of your plan. The main reason for the opinions are the passages with questions that make you think complemented by detailed answer explanations that review concepts and address test strategy. No books present test tricks quite like the latest BR books do.

I want to add a few suggestions. You should keep a running list of terminology (as you do passages) and an error log (as you review answer explanations). The main purpose is to learn to think. You should also periodically try a couple passages from a second source. When you find that BR strategies and tricks work not only the BR materials, but also the questions from every other source, then you'll see just how useful they are.

If you decide to use something besides BR for orgo, I think you should definitely look at BR orgo chapters for Stereochemistry, for Carbonyls and for Lab Techniques. Those three sections are exceptional and they address some biochemistry and biology as well.

As for biology it comes down to style preference. If you read around SDN the last few years, you'll see that people have tried (and succeeded with) all sorts of different combinations. It generally comes down to how well you know the material going in as to which will work the best for you. There are three very solid books out there for content review, so you can feel confident that if you choose the one that matches your style, then you'll cover what you need. Some books have a few more typos than others, so it's a good idea to keep a second book around to double check something that doesn't sound quite right. In terms of passages, considering you already have two different books, why not try passages from both? As ktanner pointed out, there are some BR biology passages that are beyond the difficulty of the MCAT practice materials. Don't get discouraged by these. The author's goal is to have people stress over these and in doing so really learn a few concepts he feels are essential. This is an example where your learning style may or may not fit with the book's teaching style. Some people love learning this way and other's don't. The important thing for you is to decide if you learn well by reviewing mistakes and then pick the book that best suits you.

No matter what you choose to do, success stems from doing and reviewing passages. Try not to do too many free-standing questions, because the actual MCAT is nearly all passage-based questions (about 120/144). That's a mistake some people make in their preparation, where they know the material well, but they didn't take enough passages to be ready for the test itself (and not just the material).

Best of luck as you work your way through the review material.