I have developed a fear of aggressive cats!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElvisMarie6

CSU PVM C/O 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
That's right... every time a doctor asks me to help them with an unfriendly feline, the anxiety sets in. I have always been a little scared of mean cats but after getting bit a few weeks ago it has gotten much worse! :eek: I guess I'm wondering if any of you share my fear and how you deal with it. It has gotten so bad that I stress about it on my way to and from work! A couple of the techs at my work just tell me I need to toughen up and I'm trying to be brave but I need some tips! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

what you are feeling is very normal. a mean cat is 100 times worse than a mean 100 # dog. practice practice practice. i know it sounds weird, but you just have to do it enough to become comfortable with it. what really helped me is watching other experienced techs and docs restrain and i learned from them (both good and bad techniques). also, get used to handling not so mean cats. it'll help build your confidence. lastly, try to be as calm and relaxed as you can be. i've seen way too many people be TOO mean and tense... they just scruff and slam on the table and hold as tight as they can. that is noooottt good...most of the time anyways.

i hope this helped a little. try to change your mental status before you have to deal with one... calm...relax :D good luck!!!

ps- i like using towels and making kitty burritos

Last edited:
Scruff securely and don't miss. If you miss the first time, the cat will definitely be expecting you the second time you go for him.

Members don't see this ad :)
what really helped me is watching other experienced techs and docs restrain and i learned from them (both good and bad techniques).

This is what helps me most. Watch someone do it confidently, then feign confidence and try to imitate their technique on the next mean kitty.

I'm sorry you were bitten :(...I think it's pretty normal to have some increased fear after such an event.

Feral cats can definitely be intimidating and seem impossible to handle at times. I remember being a little uneasy when I first started restraining them. My advice: Practice proper restraining techniques, know your limitations (if you are not confident in your approach....don't do it), use other assistance when necessary (cat gloves, traps, muzzle, cat bag, towels, etc...), and just keep your wits about you (move slowly and pay attention to the cat's reactions/eyes/ears/hair...). The more experienced you get, the more you will become comfortable and confident in handling them. You are making yourself stress more about it than is necessary though.....just relax and take it one step at a time. Even if you never feel completely comfortable around them, you will eventually get the hang of how to properly handle them!

See, I'm more scared of dogs than cats. But I havent had a lot of experience with either, excpet my own p/oed cats. Mayble I'll change my mind... I'll let you know!

If there's one thing that will help you learn to deal with cats all over the spectrum, it's working at a research cat colony. My arms and hands look like I'm a routine cutter, but I'll be damned if I can't wrangle any cat of any disposition into any position at all. ;)

Really, it just takes learning feline body language. Some cats are very "less is more" as far as restraint goes, and some need to be held very tight. Same goes for dogs, but dogs are less....slippery, and easier to restrain in my opinion.

Some helpful tips:

1) Confidence is key, as mentioned before. Don't stand there staring at the cat before you pick it up, that only elicits more of a fear response from the animals.

2) Get a good feel for what kind of restraint the cat will do best with. Hold the cat very securely, because if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

3) Ask for help if you don't feel comfortable. Cats are wily and can tell your weaknesses if you aren't confident.

4) Be calm. You being freaked out and tense will only cause more tension for the cat.

A girl I work with used to have this problem too, and her 2 biggest mistakes when handling aggressive cats were going too slowly and not being confident. She would go in to scruff, moving her hand in slowly, and chicken out at the last minute. Very bad idea. Anyway, when I'm dealing with bad kitties, I always drain any fear or anxiety out of my system before I approach it, sneak up from behind, and grab him in one fluid motion. Like a ninja! I know that it's easier said than done and it takes practice, but I hope that helps. Good luck!

what you are feeling is very normal. a mean cat is 100 times worse than a mean 100 # dog. practice practice practice. i know it sounds weird, but you just have to do it enough to become comfortable with it. what really helped me is watching other experienced techs and docs restrain and i learned from them (both good and bad techniques). also, get used to handling not so mean cats. it'll help build your confidence. lastly, try to be as calm and relaxed as you can be. i've seen way too many people be TOO mean and tense... they just scruff and slam on the table and hold as tight as they can. that is noooottt good...most of the time anyways.

i hope this helped a little. try to change your mental status before you have to deal with one... calm...relax :D good luck!!!

ps- i like using towels and making kitty burritos

Kitty burritos rock! That's what we call them too :laugh: Only they aren't always very convenient depending on what part of the body you want access to.

I feel your pain! I am terrified of cats, the last place I worked had this incredible tech who was great with really fractious cats and couldn't understand why feral cats freaked me out. First, ignore any comments from the peanut gallery that are not intended as good advice (ie. 'toughen up') Second, take the advice already given here, it's all great stuff, particularly the less is more and the use of towels. A fishing net is terrific for escapee's or angry cats in a kennel that you need to knock out. Slip the net over them and then get a twist in it and you can give IM injections much easier. But note, the net is only for severly fractious cats that *must* have treatment- it can be really stressful on them!

Don't worry, bites always give you the heebie jeebies for a bit, you'll get some confidence back for sure!!

I'm scared of mean cats too!

What gives me confidence is knowing that the majority of the cats are not that bad. A lot of the times the cats are all talk and no bite. That puts a little ease on my fears as well. Sometimes you just have to try things out and see how things go. And don't let them smell your fear.... :)

Agree with all the posters' answers--especially "kitty burritos". Here's my 2 cents.

1. Remember that the cat is frightened/stressed and their primitive brain is actively involved.

2. The growling/screeching is just that---noise. It's a good distraction technique designed to keep you away from them. Don't be distracted by it.

3. Bring a towel (preferably thick) and the "faceless" mask (as backup) with you in the exam room/treatment area, etc. My experience is that if the cat can't see what's coming, they have less time to react and the reaction may be less intense.

4. Always speak in low, even, hushed tones and try not to look the cat in the eye. When approaching said cat, move in a relaxed, controlled way.

5. Distract cat using your non-dominant hand to your non-dominant side so that you can quickly snag 'em with your dominant hand or cover with towel. (Of course, it helps if you are ambidextrous)

6. Give them a tiny little "escape route" when cornering them so that they "feel" they can escape and not go into full-blown attack mode. You have to make sure you can cover said "escape route".

Good luck and it will get easier the more you practice!

Don't worry, you are plenty tough and brave! Build your confidence with the nice cats and over time you'll be able to do more and more. I started off knowing nothing since I've never had a cat -my mom was allergic. Even the nice cats were challenging for me because I'd never really handled them before. I'd say that I'm decent now after all the practice. Not a pro, but decent.

One thing I've noticed the pro-handlers do is get the cat mask on fast. The sooner the mask is on, the less freaking out. Also, they use a scruffer (like a clip on the scruff) if needed. The scruff/mask combo usually works great. Then a towel, if it's still batting at us.

I'm not sure if it's just because my hands are small, or maybe just because I'm not as experienced, but I find cats and flat faced dogs (pugs, etc) a little harder to restrain for blood draws. I don't feel I have as good as a hold on them. Eh, maybe I'm just odd.

I'm not sure if you use back legs for blood draws on cats (we do it only infrequently here), but I find it very easy to hold for those. And if you're scruffing them well, seems like a much smaller bite chance.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Like many others, a nice thick towel and a quick scruff seemed to do the trick. Sometimes, I would just throw the towel over top of them so they couldn't see me coming. For most cats, once you get that scruff they are much more docile (just watch out for the pee :eek:).

Yes yes- towel and scruffing TIGHTLY will help a lot! On your end, don't show any fear! Show them YOU are in command.

Lots of good tips here.

It takes a while to get your confidence back after a bite, but it will come back eventually.

Some cats become frightened or flail when they *see* a lot of activity, so a small hand towel draped over their head can help if you're working more with their rear end (temping and so on).
If you're working with the front end, sometimes a rolled up towel wound under their head like a scarf can help. Scruff with one hand, hold the towel with the other so that it sort of looks like those neck braces people with whiplash wear (but don't make it so tight that the cat chokes!) This keeps the cat's head up and away from the person working on, say, the front catheter leg.

Oh, and stay away from blocked cats until you feel really confident handling cats. 99 out of 100 are REALLY angry kitties ;)

Thanks guys! You all are amazing and already making me feel better! :) I think I need to build up my confidence or at least fake it for sure!

1. assess the situation-- if the kitty is fairly nice but has a short fuse, spend a couple minutes loving on him/her before getting your scruff. i have found that some fractious cats are less so if you are calm and go slow, but slow with a purpose, not slow-nervous if that makes sense.

2. if the kitty is at the back of the cage making faces at you, and you have to reach way in, sometimes a tossing towel over their head before you dive in there gives you the extra second you need to get a good grip. with these kitties, try to get a good handful of scruff!

3. learn how to "stretch" a kitty so that it has less wiggle room -- this is great for drawing blood from a back leg!

4. learn how to roll a good kitty burrito!

5. sometimes tapping a kitty lightly on the head and chatting to it will distract it enough that the other person can get their procedure done. if this fails, a towel draped over the head sometimes works, too.

6. watch their body language and Pay Attention! to the kitty the whole time you are working with it

7. if it really goes @!)#$*#@ing mental on you, or starts to go down that path, assess the situation and determine whether you should keep stressing that particular kitty. there are definitely times in my emergency hospital where we are told that if the kitty wiggs out too badly just to stop what we're doing. if it's going to get the tech or the cat hurt, is it really that important to take that temp? sometimes it's not! there may even be a time when the best thing you can do is let go of the cat!!! if it's a choice between you getting badly injured or the cat getting away for a couple minutes, well.... assess the situation, and talk to the other techs/supervisors about your concerns.

8. it's not the end of the world if you ask someone else to restrain for you. some people have a real "way" with fractious cats. i am pretty confident with them but every once in a while one seems to take a real dislike of me, or i just can't get ahold of it the way i want, and in those cases i have no problem asking to switch with someone. ideally we try to do what we can to restrain the cat in a way that keeps the techs safe and minimizes drama.

I know how you feel! I used to have an insane fear of handling mean cats because it seemed like every single time i would get punctured. :scared: I finally realized that I had to just be quick and confident (stating the obvious I know) - I have found that for exam room appointments, owners are generally good about letting you know if their cat isn't peachy. my favorite and most trusted move in that case (esp. with carriers that open at the top) is to get the kitty gloves and then stand over the top of the carrier behind the cat's scruff, open the top and then swiftly pin fluffy by holding my gloved hand around their neck and touching my fingers to the table. not much strength involved and they know who is in control then and i have never met a cat who seemed uncomfortable using this method (no choking involved).

Unless I have to scruff, I don't like to do it because as your hands become numb from a tight grip, the fears come back that you may just get a nice rake job from a pissed cat!

Ahh... cats. They try not to schedule them when I'm going to be the only tech there. It's great fun. The vet has to restrain them, and then I slip in.

You see, once the vet gets the scruff for me, I can do it. Then we put a towel over the head and front claws on mean cats, and she'll draw the blood or whatever.

Can anyone tell me anything about actually finding the scruff. I never get a "good scruff" so to speak. Like I never feel there's enough skin. Is there a way to judge where the scruff is going to work the best... or do you just sort of know? ... Or maybe I'm just stupid... =)

I'm good with the birds. Okay with the dogs. Completely NOT use to surgery. I can open the packs, and I know a few basics (IE, recording blood pressure, taking heart rate, Respiratory rate, temps, recording times, use of most equipment), but I get nervous when I'm the only one with the vet to get the animal down. I can't hold the mouth open to put the tube in right... like ever. And when she sedates that cats and it gets on the outside of their skin, I have a delayed reaction in letting go.

HAHA... latest stupid screw up. We're waiting to put the cat under. So I'm staying with the cat while the vet went to get something. Well, the cat goes to jump off the table and run, and I put my hand in front :laugh: and out come the claws. The vet comes back, I'm bleeding a lot, and I leave for a minute, and tell her how stupid I am. :)

Kara -- the scruff is located on the back of the neck. Place your hand there on a nice kitty with the tip of your fully extended thumb just below the very base of the cat's ear on that side. The flat of your hand should be resting on the back of the neck with the base of your thumb almost in between the shoulders of the cat (if your hand is a medium-sized for a female hand like mine). You grab there and should be able to pull straight up and get a fair amount of skin from both sides of the neck and some of the shoulder area as well. Generally speaking only really tubby kitties don't have a scruff, though you may get an oddball thinner cat without one here and there as well. Most cats do have a good covering of skin back there that's easily gathered up into a secure scruff.

Do you have any friends with cats that you can practice on? Does your clinic do boarding and you could practice on friendly, less-stressed boarding cats? It's a hugely important skill and you should let your vet know in down-time that you'd like some practice with it.

As to the holding for intubation, with small animals you can use one hand, wrapped over the top of their head, to hold up the upper jaw. Big dogs you'll need an arm workout when holding up the dog by the upper gums/teeth. Try to angle the animal's neck at a diagonal, with their neck fully extended like a giraffe's. That gives the vet a straight shot for the tube (mouth and trachea lined up), as opposed to holding them up at a 90 angle. At least that's how it's worked better for me.

Generally speaking only really tubby kitties don't have a scruff, though you may get an oddball thinner cat without one here and there as well. Most cats do have a good covering of skin back there that's easily gathered up into a secure scruff.

Yeah but sometimes it seems like the nastier the cat the less the scruff :p

Yeah but sometimes it seems like the nastier the cat the less the scruff :p

110% in agreement. There were numerous discussions at my old clinic regarding why that might be...couldn't be karma right? we're good people! :D

110% in agreement. There were numerous discussions at my old clinic regarding why that might be...couldn't be karma right? we're good people! :D

No not at all...must be genetic or something!

Kitty burritos work best..and the more you do it and watch experienced people who do it correctly the better and more confident you will get at it.
Hard to explain through typing, best to see it first hand
Many people automatically go for the scruffing technique but not always the best to do in many situations..some cats will become more angry
Practice practice practice.. confidence will follow
Work on nice kitties first to get the technique down and work yourself up to the angry ones :)

Great advice from everyone, and I totally agree. The only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned, as much as it sucks, you have to know when to LET GO.

I have seen some inexperienced techs gets their arms/hands shredded because they were afraid to let go of a psyco kitty at it was flipping out. It may be harder to catch the second time, but it's not worth injuring yourself or the cat. Let him jump to the floor, in his carrier, etc. give him a sec to calm down before a second go. Unless it truely is an emergency, giving the kitty a 10 minute time out won't hurt (at least that's our hospital's policy).

The only thing I can add to what's already been said---and it might be obvious but in case it's not it's so helpful I'm saying it anyway---is that removing kitty's collar is a helpful precursor to a successful scruffing :D

Great advice here.

My first approach with ANY cat, ever, is to pretend that its my cat, and approach it that way..."Hiii kiittty...what-a-pretty-kitty...hows mama's lil angel doin'..." and then try to approach it just like I am its owner, which makes sense because that is how the domestic cat is used to being approached and feels comfortable. After a 1-2 pettings/ear scratchings I hold him gently but properly in a restrained position, and my confidence is now boosted. This method works 100% of the time with cats that have no prior convictions on their record. The owners seem to love it too.

Getting a nervous cat out of the cage: Ask the owners if they'd mind taking him out for you while you ask them what he's here for today.

I am allllllll about throwing a towel on fractious cats for temporarily obscuring their vision and having a stun effect, then expertly grabbing a scruff either through the towel/under the towel/or creating a kitty burrito. Once you have him restrained in a safe position you should be pretty well protected, but be prepared to be flexible in your planning.

True feral cats are the most fun because they have the most unexpected behavior: They JUMP. And I mean kangaroo-scale jump for the walls, the door, your shirt, anything. Jump as high as possible and sink the claws in deep. Although quite scary and frustrating during the moment, during mental replay it becomes hilarious and impressive!

The other thing that happens with a hissed off cat is that they can spray poop. Its like they're saying "Man, I'm so worked up right now that I just gotta &*#$!!" The kitty burrito is contraindicated in this last situation.

The other thing that happens with a hissed off cat is that they can spray poop. Its like they're saying "Man, I'm so worked up right now that I just gotta &*#$!!" The kitty burrito is contraindicated in this last situation.

Ummmmmm.....HAHAHAHAHA :lol: Wow, very nice. Haven`t seen that one yet. Should set up security cameras in every exam room to replay all shenanigans later :) From pets and owners alike :smuggrin:

Oh, and stay away from blocked cats until you feel really confident handling cats. 99 out of 100 are REALLY angry kitties ;)

I think I've only seen one cat who was blocked and calm as could be, a few mild hisses and a little swearing but no biting, scratching or trying to escape across the room. On the other hand, literally, I was bit a few months ago by a blocked cat and he got me right in the joint of my middle finger. It's still stiff and occassionally sore.

Oh and where I worked last we called them "bunny rolls" as most bunnies became burritos before cats did.

Oh and where I worked last we called them "bunny rolls" as most bunnies became burritos before cats did.

I've never heard them called that before, interesting.
The towel is definately a friend. I also love using them to muzzle a Cujo-wanna be dogs (wrap it scarf-style aroung the neck) while someone else slips the muzzle on, it prevents the alligator thrashing thing while trying to muzzle. Anyone else do this to?

I work at a cats-only hospital, where the vet accepts cats that no other vet will work with--in other words, LOTS of mean kitty practice! Sedation is only used for Sx, I should add. We use a combo of mean kitty gloves (big, thick, leather, elbow-length), towel burritos (but those are useless on the truly angry), and usually work as a team, with at least two techs restraining while a vet examines or a 3rd tech takes blood, etc.

Humor is also useful. For instance, last Saturday, the tech with whom I was working suggested that I go in and give a big hug to Dart (actual name not used), who spit, hissed and growled at me from his cage the second I entered the room. Another tech will don the mean kitty gloves and say, "Bring it. BRING. IT!!"

You'll learn what works for you. Always try to sucker another tech into handling the fractious feline before you subject yourself to unsightly scratches &/or bite wounds. ;)

Always try to sucker another tech into handling the fractious feline before you subject yourself to unsightly scratches &/or bite wounds. ;)

Haha, I've done that. "Can you bring so and so here for me, you're close to the cage. Oh, and watch it!"

Haha, I've done that. "Can you bring so and so here for me, you're close to the cage. Oh, and watch it!"

Ah yes, the ol' you're closest trick, one of my favorites. Ranks right up there with the "well clearly I can't hold the cat, I'm already holding the syringe, nail trimmers, etc (pick tool of your choice).

Also, while on mean kitty subject. I have found most hospitals has one Super-evil, walks with satan himself cat that all others are judged by. It might be fun to hear their names (evil sounding or misleading?)

"John Wayne" was our most feared, he died this year and "Led Zeplin" has taken his throne.

Haha good idea! Our most evil feline is named KiKi but a fat cat named Arty is a close second!

Our most evil cat is named Sano. Owned by a very sweet Japanese girl, he tries to take your face off through the carrier (and thrashes inside of it even when it's just sitting on the floor) and requires gassing for the simplest of procedures. According to ancestry.com, Sano means

• Japanese: variously written, it means ‘small field' and is found throughout Japan. Some bearers have samurai connections.

Well, I guess he could be a samurai... an evil samurai... but the only way he'd be a small field is if he was a small field of, say, napalm.

Heh. His exact name has been forgotten, unfortunately---he wasn't a regular patient---but at my hospital, it's (forgive the language) "that cat who shat on the ceiling that time."

It's an exaggeration, but only very... VERY... slightly.

Heh. His exact name has been forgotten, unfortunately---he wasn't a regular patient---but at my hospital, it's (forgive the language) "that cat who shat on the ceiling that time."

Haha, pardon the derail but we had, at my old clinic, "the dog who peed in the doctor's eye the day she came back from LASIK surgery." Classic! She had to call her surgeon and explain this to him while asking what she should do about it. I giggled in the background the whole time.

Haha, pardon the derail but we had, at my old clinic, "the dog who peed in the doctor's eye the day she came back from LASIK surgery." Classic! She had to call her surgeon and explain this to him while asking what she should do about it. I giggled in the background the whole time.

Oh wow! Yes, this field of med keep us on our toes and this is a perfect example of how very very much we love animals (most of the time:D).

:hijacked:
While we were doing rectal palp, a cow got me in the eye (with poo). She shot right over my goggles. Talk about a long time in the eye wash station.:rolleyes:

As for really fractious kitties, we have this basket contraption that restrains them long enough to get a little medication in. Its like one of those camp stools, but with mesh. If it's a known evil kitty, we don't even give it the option to decide to comply. If we move fast enough, the cat doesn't have any time to get worked up. It'll just gripe for a bit then go mellow.

Oooo, Truth, I'm sorry! There's a fellow who works at the farm sanctuary where I've been volunteering who told us last week that one of the pigs projectile-diarrhea-ed all over his face while he was trying to get a temp. Yummy!:D

My eye lid felt like sandpaper when I blinked for a few days after that. I didn't need any antibiotics, though. Just regular liquid tears. Aaaahhhh! Good times.

I work with cats with hyperthyroidism that get injected with radioactive iodine, making their urine very radioactive. So if the cats get crazy mad and pee/poop during a struggle, I have to keep them under control AND their waste contained and then clean it all up with special materials, double gloves, double booties, apron, lead plates, etc etc. If the cat starts peeing, its like "Noooooo! stop peeing please, keep it on the the paper! Keep it on the paper! Don't let the urine go anywhere!"