I have embarrassing problem, I need help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cough cough troll cough
:laugh:

I have to agree with you...soem things about this story dont add up. Medical schools requiring pelvic exams? What for? Most I've heard for is confirmation of serostatus for Hep B, Hep A, HIV, TB...Immunization history and titers to confirm protection...I am racking my brains (and google's) really hard to come up with anything more intense.

No, it wont come to me.

Members don't see this ad.

supereagles said:
As a fellow Nigerian, this story appears highly suspicious but in the event that it is true, i don't think you would have that much of a problem. As a Nigerian born Citizen, you have always been classified as a female. Ignorance could certainly work to your advantage and in regards to confidentiality, I doubt if any doctor would go against your wishes and make your case public. Anyway, Congrats on your acceptances and keep that flame alive. You are certainly an inspiration to us all. :thumbup:

u can say that again!
TROLL TROLL TROLL
Be gone, and choose another country next time, cause I sure as heck didnt find that funny :mad: :rolleyes:

I am grateful for the feedback. I don't know what I am going to do though. I would like to be forthright in my health services exam and history. If I can find a doctor that is willing to work with me and not charge very much I will.

I find it typical that when I lie about my condition nobody seems to care and nobody gets hurt, but when I tell the truth and ask for help people (especcially from my home country) say I am lying. Obviously I have been through a lot and I shouldn't let it bother me, but still.

XXXXX

Members don't see this ad :)
Bintu.

There are a people who post deliberately inflammatory threads on this forum just to get a reaction. Any post with "unusual" subject matter is apt to result in doubts about the sincerity of your question. Don't take it personally. You do have an unusual problem, and most of us don't have any experience with it. This makes it easy to doubt you.

For those who question the validity of the story on the basis of the physical exam requirements: I had to have a detailed physical exam before starting school in the states, and the form asked the doc to certify that all parts of my body were "normal", just as the OP's does.

But anyway.

You've received plenty of good advice here, especially from Beriberi. Please do find a doctor in whom you're willing to place your trust. It's important, and should in no way affect your admission to medical school or the scholarship you received.

Bintu, please don't be embarassed; people are very openminded these days! I know a male doctor who has been married for 30 years and decided he didn't want to be a man anymore and had transgender operations done. And you know what? The same patients still go to see him. If this little town can accept it, then any place can accept it!

Regarding thoses who doubted the OP's story:

I think it is common for many schools in the USA to require international students to undergo a complete physical exam before starting school. When all of you in the Pre-Med Forum actually start medical school, you will learn about hundreds of diseases that are not at all common in the US, but are rampant in other countries, such as Nigeria. Many of these same diseases are sexually-transmitted, making it very plausible that a pelvic exam would be required before entering a US medical school.

Congratulations to all of you who were accepted, and good luck to all who are waiting for space to open up or who are applying next year!

Scott, MS2
UT-Houston Medical School
:thumbup:

This is all based on the assumption that she is an international student. I was born and raised in Nigeria for a part of my childhood. Yet, I am a US citizen. All of my friends who are international students are required to take an extra set of immunizations but no one has ever informed me of a pelvic exam as part of the rerquirements. Plus, as the AMA has established, I don't think a med school can require a person discloses their STD status anyway.

stw2361 said:

I think it is common for many schools in the USA to require international students to undergo a complete physical exam before starting school. When all of you in the Pre-Med Forum actually start medical school, you will learn about hundreds of diseases that are not at all common in the US, but are rampant in other countries, such as Nigeria. Many of these same diseases are sexually-transmitted, making it very plausible that a pelvic exam would be required before entering a US medical school.

Congratulations to all of you who were accepted, and good luck to all who are waiting for space to open up or who are applying next year!

Scott, MS2

I don't know whether the school needs the physical exam, or whether the examination must include a pelvic exam (seems to me that one could refuse this on religious grounds anyway). I have no reason to think the OP is making this up.

But, as somebody has alludes to earlier, the OP mentions that she has "ambiguous genitalia", and states that she had no breasts, no female internal genatalia, is XY, but does not mention whether she has a penis and testes.

IF the OP does have a penis and testes, then this is not so much a case of "ambiguous genitalia" (because it would appear her genitalia is unambiguously male) but rather a case of transgenderism (or something). If this is true, I suspect the OP's real concern is that she has been admitted as an African female, when in fact she may very well be viewed by the school as an African male. Her concern is that the physical exam would reveal her physiological maleness.

On the other hand, IF the OP has truly ambiguous genitalia, I don't think the examining physician would contradict the OP's own characterization of her gender, do you? I doubt it very much.

This is an interesting issue, and I would be interesting in knowing how it turns out.

Judd

stw2361 said:

Scott, MS2

I have to disagree. I lived in Nigeria till i was 18 and none of the Schools I have been accepted to have required anything more than the standard set of immunizations. This story appears highly suspect but it also happens to be a good subject for discussion. By the way why the recent Nigerian bashing :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

As an actual medical student (for 5 more weeks, at least), I will say that my school required a comprehensive physical exam before matriculation (including a CBC, pelvic and breast exam). As I was in the summer after graduation from college and before medical school, I had no insurance and had to fork over $250 for the honor.

What many people on this board are missing is that many medical schools also serve as medical providers for their students. Therefore, they require physical exams. (By the way, I am U.S. born).

Sorry, I didn't intend to be a "Nigerian basher" as one poster put it. I should point out that there are many diseases we have here in the USA that are not so common elsewhere. Just don't ask me to name them, that would involve me actually studying for the Step 1!!

:confused:

Wow! I didn't know there were lotta Nigerians( :thumbup: ) on this board.

where is Bushbaby at? she hasn't posted anything yet on this topic.

Proph...

It seems to me like if this would be some kind of HIPPA violation if the doctor released personal information like that to the school. My school only required immunization records and titers. I can't imagine why on earth a school would required a pelvic exam. I guess it happens but I don't know why that is important. Seriously though, I don't think your doctor can legally release any information to the school that you don't approve first.

prophecy2 said:
Wow! I didn't know there were lotta Nigerians( :thumbup: ) on this board.

where is Bushbaby at? she hasn't posted anything yet on this topic.

Proph...

hey whats up! I dont think she's seen it yet :D
But honestly still smells like a troll to me, and I REFUSE to take this post seriously. :rolleyes: Like i said pick another country next time lady! :mad:

But honestly still smells like a troll to me, and I REFUSE to take this post seriously. Like i said pick another country next time lady

A part of me really wants to be supportive and all else, but in truth, I couldnt agree with you more