PhD/PsyD I have no research experience. Should I build lab experience before apply for Ph.D programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hannahj0515

Reaction score
Polite hello to everyone. I did psychology and social behavior major for my undergrad and have master degree in social work (mental health certificate). I have been working as a MSW social worker for about 4 years (counseling and case management for low income elders). As I spend more time in social work, I find myself having stronger passion for psychology and that I want to study and research more psychology. However, I heard that research experience in very crucial for psychology Ph.D programs, but I do not have any. Is it wise for me to build at least some research experience for few years from either university lab or business setting even though the position is research assistant and the research is irrelevant to psychology? Or should I go ahead apply to Ph.D programs without such experience? I have endless thought about which path I should go for. I would appreciate if you experts can help me out. I bet many people are in a similar situation with me. Thank you so much for your time and efforts.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

The best thing you can do to maximize competitiveness across programs with the best funding (e.g., reduced risk of debt, regardless of region of the country) will be to engage in research labs. The most competitive candidates are those with research products, such as a poster with their name on it. The clinical experience will be seen as valuable by some (especially as you have been licensed) and may provide a context for fit depending on what you want to work on as your major course of study. The degree to which that is valued will depend on the advisor, the program, the year/applicant pool, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Your best bet is to get the research experience if you want a reputable, fully funded program. Hands down. That year or two will be much better then six figure debt and limited job opportunities should you decide the diploma mill route.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Polite hello to everyone. I did psychology and social behavior major for my undergrad and have master degree in social work (mental health certificate). I have been working as a MSW social worker for about 4 years (counseling and case management for low income elders). As I spend more time in social work, I find myself having stronger passion for psychology and that I want to study and research more psychology. However, I heard that research experience in very crucial for psychology Ph.D programs, but I do not have any. Is it wise for me to build at least some research experience for few years from either university lab or business setting even though the position is research assistant and the research is irrelevant to psychology? Or should I go ahead apply to Ph.D programs without such experience? I have endless thought about which path I should go for. I would appreciate if you experts can help me out. I bet many people are in a similar situation with me. Thank you so much for your time and efforts.

Research experience will certainly help your application but I see no harm in applying this year for the PhDs, while at the same time you try to secure some research experience (apply to conferences, volunteer in a lab, work as an RA in a lab etc.).

Research experience will certainly help your application but I see no harm in applying this year for the PhDs, while at the same time you try to secure some research experience (apply to conferences, volunteer in a lab, work as an RA in a lab etc.).
From when I was admitted to my program just a couple of years ago, per program, it was ~$60 for applications, $27 to send your GRE scores, and $10 to send transcripts from undergrad. That's approximately $100 to apply to each program (though some undergraduate institutions don't charge for transcripts). If OP applies to, say, 10 programs, that's about $1000, a not insignificant amount of money, esepcially as they'll have to spend as much, if not more, to reapply at some point in the future. Thus, I'd disagree with you that there's no harm in applying to programs for someone without any research experience, as they have zero chance of being admitted. You're basically advising them to throw away money.

Reactions: 1 users
From when I was admitted to my program just a couple of years ago, per program, it was ~$60 for applications, $27 to send your GRE scores, and $10 to send transcripts from undergrad. That's approximately $100 to apply to each program (though some undergraduate institutions don't charge for transcripts). If OP applies to, say, 10 programs, that's about $1000, a not insignificant amount of money, esepcially as they'll have to spend as much, if not more, to reapply at some point in the future. Thus, I'd disagree with you that there's no harm in applying to programs for someone without any research experience, as they have zero chance of being admitted. You're basically advising them to throw away money.
I appreciate for your response! Thank you again!

Your best bet is to get the research experience if you want a reputable, fully funded program. Hands down. That year or two will be much better then six figure debt and limited job opportunities should you decide the diploma mill route.
Thank you for eye opening response!

Hi

The best thing you can do to maximize competitiveness across programs with the best funding (e.g., reduced risk of debt, regardless of region of the country) will be to engage in research labs. The most competitive candidates are those with research products, such as a poster with their name on it. The clinical experience will be seen as valuable by some (especially as you have been licensed) and may provide a context for fit depending on what you want to work on as your major course of study. The degree to which that is valued will depend on the advisor, the program, the year/applicant pool, etc.
Thank you for your useful and thoughtful help!