I have the attention span of...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voyeurofthemind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A GNAT. Unfortunately, this requires me to extend my work out throughout the whole week in multiple sessions to get it all done. I can typically go 30-45 minutes at most then I have to get up and switch work or do something else.

Actual writing or projects I have to be actively engaged in keeps me from drifting so quickly. Just wondering how long everyone else can typically sit down and study / read a text for before they've checked out.

Members don't see this ad.

So...are you planning on doing clinical work?

Members don't see this ad :)
A GNAT. Unfortunately, this requires me to extend my work out throughout the whole week in multiple sessions to get it all done. I can typically go 30-45 minutes at most then I have to get up and switch work or do something else.

Actual writing or projects I have to be actively engaged in keeps me from drifting so quickly. Just wondering how long everyone else can typically sit down and study / read a text for before they've checked out.

I think that all sounds about right. You seem perfectly human to me.

Agreed. I've never seen a gnat (or an undergrad!) work for 45 minutes straight on something they don't find engaging. :D This is typical.

Taking a 2-5 minute break is a good idea every hour, anyway. :) I hear it does good things for your circulation, and looking at things further than a computer screen for a couple minutes is also better for your eyes. I like to get water, check the mailroom, or spend a couple minutes outside.

When did gnats become the scapegoats for a low attention span?

Personally, I think gnats are really good at focusing on bothering me for extended periods of time...

Hey 30 to 45 minutes should get you through therapy sessions!

There is a free program called FocusBooster (google it) that I found helpful... basically, it's a timer. It has two sessions, a 25 minute "work" time and then a 5 minute "break." I've found that making myself work for those 25 minutes and then MAKING myself take that break (even if I'm mid-sentence!) helped me be able to work for longer periods of time.

. I can typically go 30-45 minutes at most then I have to get up and switch work or do something else.

That is actually pretty solid honestly. I think most people drift after about 10-15 minutes of SOLID concentration. But I doubt that anyone is even 100% focused in that entire time period. I think the only concern would be if you are unable to repeat that 30-45 minute attention marathon after taking a break. If you are able to take a break, recharge yourself, and do it again...your capable of putting in countless hours throughout the day.

Trick I learned in my highschool study class.....when you are feeling tired and want to take a break, put in 2 more minutes of full concentration and call it quits. Usually those 2 minutes are extremely efficient. I think it's because when you know you have a break coming, you are less pressured, and thus perform at a higher level.

on a side note...this thread is highly offensive to gnats :(

When studying/reading, I'd say probably 45-60 minutes is about right. When working on a writing project, I'll sometimes go for four or five hours between breaks, but that's more out of necessity than consistent ability. Although this does include fairly frequent "breaks" during which I'm looking for a particular article, or how to format something, etc.

When studying/reading, I'd say probably 45-60 minutes is about right. When working on a writing project, I'll sometimes go for four or five hours between breaks, but that's more out of necessity than consistent ability. Although this does include fairly frequent "breaks" during which I'm looking for a particular article, or how to format something, etc.

What about posting on SDN? :)

Whatever, I had a gnat RA for me and he hardly did anything, he just kept buzzing about without any real purpose. If anything, this thread is being too kind to gnats!