I have yet to experience this "pharmacy is a small world" feeling.

Started by crazybob
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crazybob

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For others, it's a small world, apparently. But I have yet to experience it for myself. Even when I bring up names of people that the pharmacist might know, they usually don't know each other very well. That's not much of a small world feeling. Excluding being in the same class and working together, pharmacists don't know each other as well as I thought when I try to ask for help.

Maybe if I were Facebook friends with everyone I met, then I'd see it, but I have my personal reasons for not keeping in touch with everyone through Facebook.

Is this one of those things that I'll notice once I start working?
 
Our entire state only has one pharmacy school so here it's incredibly small. Outside the state seems like a pretty big world though.
 
Maybe it used to be a small world back in the day. Doesn't seem so true anymore, lol. Move one state over and it's a whole new world.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe it used to be a small world back in the day. Doesn't seem so true anymore, lol. Move one state over and it's a whole new world.

Yeah. No one knows anyone in other states, and you're pretty much on your own. Connections you form in other states don't know people there as well as you'd want them to. It's starting to make me think that networking isn't as helpful as we once thought.
 
For others, it's a small world, apparently. But I have yet to experience it for myself. Even when I bring up names of people that the pharmacist might know, they usually don't know each other very well. That's not much of a small world feeling. Excluding being in the same class and working together, pharmacists don't know each other as well as I thought when I try to ask for help.

Maybe if I were Facebook friends with everyone I met, then I'd see it, but I have my personal reasons for not keeping in touch with everyone through Facebook.

Is this one of those things that I'll notice once I start working?

It's one of the bigger lies told in school. Pharmacy is a huge world. Hell, I was educated in WV, worked in Western PA, and nobody in Eastern PA knows anybody I knew even remotely. An entirely different UNIVERSE.
 
It's one of the bigger lies told in school. Pharmacy is a huge world. Hell, I was educated in WV, worked in Western PA, and nobody in Eastern PA knows anybody I knew even remotely. An entirely different UNIVERSE.

So that we'll be nice to those in the profession, but I know too many students who just don't care about what their peers think. Like I said in the "Professionalism" thread I started, they act like they're all appropriate in front of preceptors and bosses, while being so immature around each other.

"Oh, my boss doesn't say anything if I'm late? Ok, I'll come in late everyday! Lolz"
"The pharmacists at my rotation site don't care if I just sit around doing nothing? I'll go for a walk around the building! That sounds fun! Haha"
 
I don't think preceptors are THAT oblivious, bob. Some are. I give most the benefit of the doubt that they can discern between "good" and "bad" students. When you are a hard worker, it shows. Maybe they let the kid walk around the building or see they do nothing.... but do you think they'll hire that kid over someone who demonstrated interest and initiative on the rotation? Let those peers do what they will because when it comes to graduation, I have a feeling a good chunk of em are going to receive a wake up call.... At least that's my perspective and what I have seen at my institution.
 
If you live anywhere for an extended period of time, and are involved in organizations and so forth, you probably will, whether that's good or bad.

About 15 years ago, I had a job experience that was so bad, I briefly considered surrendering my license. On the second day, the PD, whom I had never heard of until he interviewed me, called me into his office to tell me (and not for the last time) that he had heard from multiple sources that I was basically an incompetent troublemaker. Thing was, he would never tell me who had told him these stories, or what they were. In addition, NOBODY I knew, with one exception, had ever heard of him, and he'd been in this area for more than 20 years and even had his own business for most of that time!

I worked there for 4 months, and several years later, I was interviewing for another job and was asked, "Why did you leave Hospital X after 4 months?" I hemmed and hawed and he said, "You call tell me the truth. I've been told many times that Hospital X is a very difficult place to work at." On top of him, there was a tech who was chronically insubordinate, referred to black people using the N word, and I also distrusted her to the point where I carried my keys and money in my pocket and locked my purse in my car. I never figured out why she was allowed to keep working there.

So, I later met someone else who DID know him; she had done relief work at his business, and all 3 paychecks she got from him bounced. She also said, "He told you that the small-town store he had previously owned closed because he was undercut by the competition, didn't he?" I agreed, and she said, "It was actually because everyone in town knew that he beat his wife up, and they wouldn't go there." 😱 Do I believe this? Oh, yeah. I was telling this story to yet another person, and she said, "Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Nobody else has ever heard of him, but he knows all about you." And the woman who worked there after me simply walked out in the middle of her shift even though she has a child with a lifelong disability and her husband was (and still is) a SAHD.
 
If you live anywhere for an extended period of time, and are involved in organizations and so forth, you probably will, whether that's good or bad.

All they know is names, faces, and stories. Not much more. People also believe all kinds of rumors without knowing something for sure. I usually don't believe the stories I hear until I can verify what really occurred.

It's too bad I know too many people who will believe anything that goes around. This is why I never share anything with people unless I feel comfortable with others possibly knowing what I said. Because of that, they say I never talk and that I'm very quiet. :laugh:
 
I should add that this place was the ONLY job I've ever had where my personal references were contacted. That should have been a red flag in itself.

An aside: My neighbor asked me if I would be a reference for her; she applied for a job at an MR/DD group home, and they called me on Friday to inquire about her. First time I was contacted for this reason, too.
 
I think pharmacy is kind of a small world. If you work at a big institution, it's pretty likely that someone at the place you're interviewing for after graduation knows someone who works there - and they will likely give them a call. I actually see that happen a lot. Dr. Smith in admin will mention that Dr. Cooper from Other Hospital called him and wanted to know what he thought about Suzie the Student, because she applied there for residency.


If you are affiliated with a small hospital, though, I doubt you'd see this.
 
I think pharmacy is kind of a small world. If you work at a big institution, it's pretty likely that someone at the place you're interviewing for after graduation knows someone who works there - and they will likely give them a call. I actually see that happen a lot. Dr. Smith in admin will mention that Dr. Cooper from Other Hospital called him and wanted to know what he thought about Suzie the Student, because she applied there for residency.

Whenever I looked for jobs, having connections did not help at all. Even if they know about openings, they're not helpful. I don't see the point of networking sometimes if those people are just going to play favorites and not be very helpful. If you know them, there's a good chance they know others at your school, and they might like someone else a lot more.

Only after asking about 30 people (more than half of which I had never met), I was able to find one position, which lead to my first job in a pharmacy.
 
Whenever I looked for jobs, having connections did not help at all. Even if they know about openings, they're not helpful. I don't see the point of networking sometimes if those people are just going to play favorites and not be very helpful. If you know them, there's a good chance they know others at your school, and they might like someone else a lot more.

Only after asking about 30 people (more than half of which I had never met), I was able to find one position, which lead to my first job in a pharmacy.

Honestly, I get the impression from your other posts that you are maybe a little awkward? I have been able to use my connections for a LOT of stuff already.
 
I think that pharmacy is definitely a small place if you're around people who are active in it as a profession rather than just a job. I've ran into lots of connections both in and out of my state. The residency I matched at has a current resident that rotated through my retail gig back in '10 several states away from the residency site. Doubt it had much positive affect on me matching, but if I had been a jerk, I'm guessing it could have hurt my chances.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've found that most of my APPE preceptors know each other, or at least have a vague idea about them. It's probably more likely when you have people who have been in the profession for a while, because they've worked in several locations, been to multiple CEs, local pharmacy meeting, etc, so they've met more people. Or maybe it's just because my school hosts preceptor events where they get to hang out. Either way, you do something for long enough, you'll know more pharmacists. Even if it's just meeting the competition across the street since you've called each other for transfers dozens of times.
 
I've found that most of my APPE preceptors know each other, or at least have a vague idea about them. It's probably more likely when you have people who have been in the profession for a while, because they've worked in several locations, been to multiple CEs, local pharmacy meeting, etc, so they've met more people. Or maybe it's just because my school hosts preceptor events where they get to hang out. Either way, you do something for long enough, you'll know more pharmacists. Even if it's just meeting the competition across the street since you've called each other for transfers dozens of times.

I would go a step further and say that district managers of the big chains know them too. I've known several people who were turned down for jobs because of what their APPE preceptors had to say about them. Then again, that's hiring practice anyway. Usually people don't give references that will say bad things about them so you'll have to seek those out. Can't find them? Get hired.
 
Maybe the whole pharmacy world isn't as small as it used to be, but you can definitely see the "small world" effect throughout some of the specialties. I haven't even been working a year since finishing residency and I've seen it. I can only imagine what it's like for people who have been in the profession for a while (and did more than keep their head down and get through the day).

Outside of oncology, I've also seen unexpected connections hurt students and residents applying for residency. Your preceptor may have trained far away or have former coresidents or friends working in places you never would expect to have connections to your area. You might not see the effects with all pharmacists you meet, but pharmacy can be a small world. Just maybe not everywhere you look.
 
Entirely location dependent.

Go to Buffalo, NY. Everyone knows everyone in pharmacy. Very small world indeed.

So how small of a location are we talking generally? The entire suburb in a metro area?

Do you think they ever hold back on the number of people they actually know? Like they just don't say anything about certain people even if they know?
 
I've been in the Cincy area since 2000. Applied for pharmacy school in Fall 09, graduate on April 27th. It is a very small world here, and not because of everyone going to UC. Worked retail, hospital (2) and mail order. First question asked: Do you know XYZ? Currently a classmate is the daughter of a pharmacist I worked with for 8 years. A manager at mail order knew many of my former RPh coworkers. It's crazy how connections are quickly made here. Out of my 9 APPE preceptors I knew 7: 1 was a former resident when I was a tech. It's really crazy how quickly word gets out. If someone is on the Board's "Sunshine Notice" word gets out very quickly.

This is a small example, but I can vouch for the reality of it.
 
I see the same people over and over again. There are groups of people I also know who are disconnected professionally, but if you are at all involved, you'll just run into multiple people all the time...
 
I see the same people over and over again. There are groups of people I also know who are disconnected professionally, but if you are at all involved, you'll just run into multiple people all the time...

But isn't that if you still like each other and want to talk?
 
Its a small world for me. I know a lot of people in pharmacy and no matter which district, market I work at, I always know the majority of the people there.

For example, I have the pleasure of meeting Sparda... while working at one of his stores.
 
Only in the company I work with... I know 3/4 of pharmacists in San Diego and everyone knows me because I "float" from store to store whenever I can to pick up OTs, and always blows their number.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Only in the company I work with... I know 3/4 of pharmacists in San Diego and everyone knows me because I "float" from store to store whenever I can to pick up OTs, and always blows their number.

Exactly. I know a good percentage of the pharmacists in my market. That means if I do a bad job while floating, word will get around.
 
I went to school in the southwest. Did my PGY-2 at a large hospital in the Midwest, with 2 people who did their PGY-1 at the same place as Praziquantel in New England.

I took a job in California, where one of my colleagues did her PGY-2 at the hospital where praziquantel was an intern.

I'd consider that pretty small considering we trained thousands of miles apart and have continued to do so, but have only one degree of separation. Never mind the person who did PGY-1 where I interned and did a PGY-2 where praziquantel did his fellowship...

That's one small example.

Zpack worked closely with the former clinical coordinator of where I did my PGY-1. Also on opposite parts of te country.