I just don't know what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TactFR44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm having a pretty difficult time figuring out what it is that is right for me. I know this is subjective to everyone but I'm coming to grips with realizing that I will be able to perform decently on the MCAT. Not saying my score will be incredible but I feel as though I will be able to get into a DO program (GPA 3.97, no post bac or anything just undergrad credits with a BS degree). Now, this past year I have swayed back and forth between PA and DO. I have worked in healthcare directly with patients since graduating, and have a significant amount of hours working full time to enhance my PA school application. I LOVE working with patients. I really enjoy my tech job. Hearing their stories and just getting to interact with a plethora of individuals during their most critical periods in their lives. There is nothing else besides being a healthcare professional that I want to do. Period. At least this decision was made! Now...

The deciding factor is I really don't know which path to take. I'm sitting here trying to continue studying MCAT but I don't really feel like this is the most logical path with what I want in life. I'm really basing it on the title aspect/autonomy.The money is great in both professions as I grew up poor and am the first person in my family to get a college degree. Anything close to six figures is huge money for me.

Regardless, sure it's great to be called Doctor and have greater scope of autonomy...but is it really that great? I mean this is all these people seem to do/want to do. I have other parts of my life that I want to live rather than be cooped up in a hospital all day long. I initially wanted to be a clinical pharmacist, but that sure went out the window with how Pharmacy is these days. I did my undergrad with pre-meds (pre-pharm/pre-med have same prereqs) and they really were gunning for it. I just never really felt that way. For some reason, I always feared the MCAT but after studying for about a month and a half I realized that this is just not what many people make it out to be. Sure, it's really difficult but if you put in the hours and time it can be done. I'm pretty pleased with my performance so far and I thoroughly enjoy being challenged.

In the end, life is short. And ultimately, I just want to be happy and I don't know if the extra efforts to pursue Medical school vs PA school will be worth it for me in the end. The two fields are great but I just don't know if mid level practitioner will satisfy my career aspirations either. I've shadowed PAs and Doctors. Almost every Doc I have shadowed has informed me to steer clear of the headache that is modern medicine (and all the BS that comes with it) and that PA is a great field which enables you to maintain an incredible work/life balance. The PAs that I have spoken to love their job and the collaboration they have with their boss. One of the PAs that works in the ER with me said "I saw what my dad went through as a surgeon, and realized I never wanted that life". My dad's friends (surgeons, FM and Peds) have all told me that it's so much sacrifice and they would do something different if given the opportunity. I have yet to speak with a doctor who has told me "yeah this field is great and is a good idea". I guess, I haven't heard any convincing evidence of why pursuing medicine as a MD/DO is worth it..But for some reason, I keep digressing back to the same fork in the road. Any help/suggestions are welcome. I appreciate the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was in doubt just like you and I ultimately chose MD/DO because of scope of practice... Also, as a nontrad, I could not afford to do PA and later on realizing that I made a mistake because there is no do over for me at my age... I also worked with a PA that said if he had to do it again, he would have gone to med school. To be honest, that PA was mostly unhappy about his financial situation compared to his brother because they both had a BS at the same time, he decided PA because he wanted to make quick money, and his brother decided to go MD. His brother became an anesthesiologist... According to him, his brother financial situation is a lot better than his by a mile... I think @emedpa is a PA who works closely with physicians, he probably can tell the pro and cons of both... @primadonna22274 who is a PA doing residency right now as a DO can give you an idea as well.

Another anecdote I have is one of my classmates from nursing school who became a NP is also unhappy about her career after working with (or for) a couple of physicians... She told me they made her do all the scut work they don't want to do. She was a salaried employee ie. she was working physician hours (55+ hours)... She finally quit working for physicians and take a job at non profit clinic...

Med school is hard and draining and If you think you can go thru that grind for 7+ years, go MD/DO because it will give you more scope and probably more flexibility...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I honestly think you need to talk to and/or shadow both professions. They are not the same, and people who want to be doctors should be doctors, and people who want to be PAs should be PAs. The jobs aren't the same or interchangeable. Unless you're 45, timing one to the other isn't that significant.

I personally thought about being a PA, and when I talked with several friends, I decided against it. I want to be a doctor, not a PA. Only you can decide, but clearly you need more information in order to make a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you see yourself not in five but, say, 20 years?

I never considered PA school. I would probably really enjoy being a PA for a couple of years ("omg, I get to do actual clinical work!"), but then I would want to move up higher. I'm sure you can always grow as a PA but the opportunities are just greater for a physician. I can't really imagine myself as a PA at 50 or 60 years old. But then, it's a very individual choice!

Where do you see yourself not in five but, say, 20 years?

I never considered PA school. I would probably really enjoy being a PA for a couple of years ("omg, I get to do actual clinical work!"), but then I would want to move up higher. I'm sure you can always grow as a PA but the opportunities are just greater for a physician. I can't really imagine myself as a PA at 50 or 60 years old. But then, it's a very individual choice!

I guess what I can learn from this is anecdotal evidence varies...which is obvious. But still. I have another shadowing opportunity lined up next week with a new physician. You bring up a great point. Thats one of the main disadvantages that the critical care PA brought up. Hitting that INEVITABLE glass ceiling...which scares me. I get bored. VERY easily. I always want a new challenge. I guess the whole commitment of medical school really stresses me out because it's a long, arduous process.

Look, I don't know much. But I do know how much trying to be a doc is **** on. It worries me, matter fact I'm having a drink as i type this out. You have to realize that our generation is kind of spoiled. Like folks in the past would dream to have this opportunity and the ability like you have to hack what it takes to get into med school.

Props for that OP!

Now: Today, yes the hours can be long, but once you finish your residency, you can potentially have autonomy depending on your speciality enough to where you can live like you 'want to live'. My family prac doc NEVER goes to the hospital. He has his own practice. So its not like you'll be 'cooped up in a hospital forever'. You have to be you and do you and the kind of doc that would best serve those that at a tough time in their lives and get them back on their feet....

So much Nay saying on the medical profession these days, Look, sorry for my profanity, but **** you have to look past that like a boss and realize so much nay-saying with debt accumulation, insurance system, obama care, 21st century society, culture of un-gratefulness, etc WHATEVER all these negative things, my goodness, FK those things!

Be strong! being a health care taker may seem like you're taking care of petty things, na, I know a pulmonolgist that literally brings ppl back from the dead! with great 'i care' values....

It's not for every body, but hang in there.... you know? I feel the way you do to sometimes, but you have to be a boss in this situation, look past the status quo, yes, the career will take so much sacrifice, but in the end, if you offer your heart into it, and have a passion for what many folks take for granted, you will enjoy it / love it. Just stay positive ok?

Sorry for the bit of emotional baggage.... Stay strong, stay true to yourself, make / keep close friends for support and help support others. Boom!

Sounds like you want to go pa, but don't want to throw away the possibility of more...
That's really OK, and you are probably young enough to afford yourself some time to figure it out. Med school is a huge commitment in many many ways. Take it easy on yourself and don't rush into med school until you find yourself really sure.

I agree with the post above, sounds like you're leaning towards PA. You also mentioned getting bored quickly and always looking for a change.
The PA route would definitely allow you that because you can work in many different specialities. With medical school, you'd be stuck with one specialty. Sure, you can always do a fellowship, research, teaching, etc. but it's not quite the same as switching between, say, surgery and primary care

Sounds like you want to go pa, but don't want to throw away the possibility of more...
That's really OK, and you are probably young enough to afford yourself some time to figure it out. Med school is a huge commitment in many many ways. Take it easy on yourself and don't rush into med school until you find yourself really sure.
I agree with the post above, sounds like you're leaning towards PA. You also mentioned getting bored quickly and always looking for a change.
The PA route would definitely allow you that because you can work in many different specialities. With medical school, you'd be stuck with one specialty. Sure, you can always do a fellowship, research, teaching, etc. but it's not quite the same as switching between, say, surgery and primary care
Agree with both of these.

OP, based on what you've said, becoming a PA is the clear right choice for you. Go for it full throttle, and don't feel a need to apologize for choosing the career that fits your needs best. It's infinitely preferable to be a happy PA than it is to be a miserable physician, and as you already have seen, there are plenty of them out there.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. I have decided on PA! I appreciate all the opinions. I couldn't lie to myself any longer and think medical school was the right path for me. Thank you all and good luck!

Reactions: 2 users