I just got my MCAT score....need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chintu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I am new to this forum. I just got my mcat score by mail: 11B 12P 6V L; I know, 6V is pretty rough, however english is not my first language. I am a biochem major at UNC and have a 3.8 overall and 3.85 sci. GPA. Done research for 2 yrs, and volunteered at few hospitals and elementary school. Do you guys think I have a shot at any med school cus from many sources i've heard that verbal is the most imp. section on mcat. I don't think taking mcat again will improve my verbal score by much. Should I apply with my current score? What are my chances? Any suggestions appreciated! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hey chintu, although that verbal might cause some problems for top 10 schools, there are plenty of schools (personally I know USC, UCLA-DREW) that will love to take qualified students like yourself, who definitely show that they can handle the science curriculum, but for whatever reason (in your case, English as a second language, is a damn good reason!) get a low verbal. Good luck and just apply to a wide range of schools and you should be fine.

hey man totall ydont owrry abou tyour score, english is my first and ONLY language and i got a 6 the first time!! with same science scores as you, so for someone who is not first english .. your totaly fine, a 6 for u is like an 11 for a 1st lang. speaker.. your fine and in somewhere dont sweat it! congrats on the solid score

Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
hey man totall ydont owrry abou tyour score, english is my first and ONLY language and i got a 6 the first time!! with same science scores as you, so for someone who is not first english .. your totaly fine, a 6 for u is like an 11 for a 1st lang. speaker.. your fine and in somewhere dont sweat it! congrats on the solid score

no way DW, i'ze got a six too also. DW is so rite on wit hes advise to. listin to dw abut this, hee noes a lot of thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Mudd
no way DW, i'ze got a six too also. DW is so rite on wit hes advise to. listin to dw abut this, hee noes a lot of thing.

AHEM!!!!! I am the ONLY "DW" around here!!!! :mad:

anyway, chintu, i think you'll be able to get in somwhere if you right good essays and present yourself well. once again, make sure you apply to a good number of schools (15ish) and a wide range of higher and lower ranked schools. you'll most likely have good luck at the "low mcat friendly" schools (GW, Drexel, etc), but you never know: a kid in my p chem class from the dominican rep who had difficulty with english until college got a 8 on verbal (with really high scores in the sciences of course) and goes to Baylor med right now. I know, sample size=1, but hope that anecdote gives you some hope

Originally posted by DW
if you right good essays

I'm sorry DW, I don't normally 'pick' but this just cracked me up.... :laugh:

last april I got 7V, 11P, 12B, and M WS, and didn't get accepted anywhere except D.O. school, but my gpa sucked, so you might have better chance then me.

So it is possible to have a low mcat and still get into medical school.

Originally posted by the boy wonder
I'm sorry DW, I don't normally 'pick' but this just cracked me up.... :laugh:

ahh, damn you boy wonder!! now i'm going to have to start picking through all your prior posts for silly typos!! GRAMMAR MAVEN!!!!! :)

Make sure to stress that enlish is not your first language and you should be ok.