1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I just got my MCAT score....need advice!

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by chintu, Oct 19, 2002.

1. chintu

chintu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys
    I am new to this forum. I just got my mcat score by mail: 11B 12P 6V L; I know, 6V is pretty rough, however english is not my first language. I am a biochem major at UNC and have a 3.8 overall and 3.85 sci. GPA. Done research for 2 yrs, and volunteered at few hospitals and elementary school. Do you guys think I have a shot at any med school cus from many sources i've heard that verbal is the most imp. section on mcat. I don't think taking mcat again will improve my verbal score by much. Should I apply with my current score? What are my chances? Any suggestions appreciated! thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey chintu, although that verbal might cause some problems for top 10 schools, there are plenty of schools (personally I know USC, UCLA-DREW) that will love to take qualified students like yourself, who definitely show that they can handle the science curriculum, but for whatever reason (in your case, English as a second language, is a damn good reason!) get a low verbal. Good luck and just apply to a wide range of schools and you should be fine.

4. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

hey man totall ydont owrry abou tyour score, english is my first and ONLY language and i got a 6 the first time!! with same science scores as you, so for someone who is not first english .. your totaly fine, a 6 for u is like an 11 for a 1st lang. speaker.. your fine and in somewhere dont sweat it! congrats on the solid score

5. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker
    7+ Year Member

no way DW, i'ze got a six too also. DW is so rite on wit hes advise to. listin to dw abut this, hee noes a lot of thing.

6. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    AHEM!!!!! I am the ONLY "DW" around here!!!! :mad:

anyway, chintu, i think you'll be able to get in somwhere if you right good essays and present yourself well. once again, make sure you apply to a good number of schools (15ish) and a wide range of higher and lower ranked schools. you'll most likely have good luck at the "low mcat friendly" schools (GW, Drexel, etc), but you never know: a kid in my p chem class from the dominican rep who had difficulty with english until college got a 8 on verbal (with really high scores in the sciences of course) and goes to Baylor med right now. I know, sample size=1, but hope that anecdote gives you some hope

7. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

I'm sorry DW, I don't normally 'pick' but this just cracked me up.... :laugh:

8. loserman

loserman Membership Revoked
    Removed

last april I got 7V, 11P, 12B, and M WS, and didn't get accepted anywhere except D.O. school, but my gpa sucked, so you might have better chance then me.

9. Raptor

Raptor Found one
    7+ Year Member

So it is possible to have a low mcat and still get into medical school.

10. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ahh, damn you boy wonder!! now i'm going to have to start picking through all your prior posts for silly typos!! GRAMMAR MAVEN!!!!! :)

11. i actually didnt see that until u brought it up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: geez :rolleyes: english lessons on SDN!

12. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Make sure to stress that enlish is not your first language and you should be ok.