I just signed up to take Physics I & II over the summer (with labs!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HippocratesX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I really learned alot from the organic chem thread that someone started and was wondering if anyone has any advice for taking Physics I & II with labs over the summer? Is it as bad as taking O'chem, or much easier? I'm pretty good at math, though I guess I'm just assuming physics is more math, than anything? Has anyone had this experience before...taking physics in the summer? Oh, and I also work 30hrs a week, but I don't really have a life other than that, cause I'm a postbacc right now in the middle of nowheresville KY. Any insight/tips/cautions would be much appreciated! Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Just an insight, most people who do take pre med classes during the summer take general chemistry or physics. I can tell you it all just depends on your level in math and being able to read abstract paragraphs and gather what you need out of it.

Good luck! You'll do great! :)

And most of them do not work FT on top of that so beware! I am assuming you are a non-trad do not try to rush and then end up falling on your arse.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll do fine if you really want to. Before I applied to medical school, I took both organic chems, an MCAT course, and worked full time. Yeah, it really sucked!!! But if you want to go the non-traditional route, you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm now a pediatric resident at Baylor (not too shabby!).

Good luck to you....remember, this will all be over soon!

Yeah, working FT will be a challenge but if you want something bad enough you'll find a way to make it happen. I can't speak for us all but I think that post-bacs have a 'unique' outlook on their academic careers because at this point it's almost like 'do it or die!'... we're investing money and time (knowing that we're not getting any younger). Under these circumstances, I think you'll be surprised about what you can accomplish! I'm the one who posted the O-Chem thread so I'm hoping to really work hard and come out of the summer a stressed out on the brink of breaking down ;)... person who just received two consecutive A's :clap:

Just keep working hard! You can do it!!!

I am thinking of taking physics this summer as well...any advice..

Labs for intro Physics courses are generally a lot less time and work than for chemistry courses - especially organic.

I'm a non-trad and I actually took Physics I & II and Orgo I & II over spring/summer courses. I also took an MCAT prep course that summer. I saved the the physics and orgo labs for the fall. That was the summer of '02. I managed to pull 3.4 - 3.8 in all four courses and ended up with a 27R on the MCAT. Oh yeah, I also was diagnosed with thyroid cancer that summer. I guess my point is...the classes are definately doable.

Advice: Try to get ahold of any old exams from the professor, or students who have have had the prof before. Many profs don't take the time to write all new tests for shortened classes and many of my questions were the same concepts..even the same wording...but just with different numbers in the problems.