I just took my 1st full-length practice test and got DESTROYED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so i signed up for TPR and our 1st meeting was a practice test today (saturday) from 9AM to 5PM and it was pretty bad... ya, i know, its supposed to be bad...

my question is this: was everything on there supposed to look familiar at least? because i saw stuff on there that I HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE IN MY LIFE. it makes me wonder if i had the proper preparation in my prereqs for this stuff. i mean, i did pretty well in my science classes, what gives? am i just freaking out over nothing, and will the mcat class teach me everything i need to know?

Members don't see this ad.

Diagnostics from prep companies are usually harder than they should be for various reasons. 1. it saves their higher score promise

Don't try to freak out too bad. You've got 4 months! You'll be fine. :luck:

Anastasis said:
Diagnostics from prep companies are usually harder than they should be for various reasons. 1. it saves their higher score promise

Don't try to freak out too bad. You've got 4 months! You'll be fine. :luck:

ya but is everything supposed to look familiar at least? it's like someone was testing me on a subject that i had never seen seen before

It's a tough test. Did you get a score? Maybe you didn't do as bad as you thought. A really good score for the diag would be in the 20s.

Members don't see this ad :)
MoosePilot said:
It's a tough test. Did you get a score? Maybe you didn't do as bad as you thought. A really good score for the diag would be in the 20s.

i dont get my score till tuesday-- i think i got a 5 on it, to be quite honest.. and only because 5 is my favorite number :idea: :(

chuckcamp said:
i dont get my score till tuesday-- i think i got a 5 on it, to be quite honest.. and only because 5 is my favorite number :idea: :(

I doubt you got a 5 on it.

You might have gotten a low score. You wouldn't be the only one in the class. Don't worry about it. Just study as hard as you possibly can for the next 3 months. Trust me, it's worth it!

I just took the Princeton Test today too! I thought the Verbal was TERRIBLE. If you go to the website and sign-in you can get the answers (no score conversion chart). I thought I did pretty well: 53/77 phys, 37/60 (sorry for the typo) verbal (yikes!), 60/77 bio. However, when I did the score conversion as copmared to the A-D Tests I got an 8/8/10 (9/8/10 compared to AAMC 6R, which somebody suggested for this test, for whatever reason). Is this scoring accurate?

A little dissapointed with a 26 because I studied a lot over winter break (but just started physics II). Any thoughts, please?

arob34 said:
I just took the Princeton Test today too! I thought the Verbal was TERRIBLE. If you go to the website and sign-in you can get the answers (no score conversion chart). I thought I did pretty well: 53/77 phys, 37/40 verbal (yikes!), 60/77 bio. However, when I did the score conversion as copmared to the A-D Tests I got an 8/8/10 (9/8/10 compared to AAMC 6R, which somebody suggested for this test, for whatever reason). Is this scoring accurate?

A little dissapointed with a 26 because I studied a lot over winter break (but just started physics II). Any thoughts, please?

26 on the first diag is excellent.

arob34 said:
I thought I did pretty well: 53/77 phys, 37/40 verbal (yikes!), 60/77 bio.

Do you mean 37/60 in VR? Because a 37/40 is kick-butt.

listen to me!! don't get discouraged by this score--you can do this!! you have plenty of time to prepare and you are going to be fine. there were a few times I felt like giving up (b/c of bad practice test scores) but I am so glad I stuck with it.

Teerawit said:
Do you mean 37/60 in VR? Because a 37/40 is kick-butt.

Oh no, sorry. 37/60. A 37/40 only in my wildest dreams. I thought that was the worst verbal I have ever seen. I had been getting 9-10s on examkrackers. Yikes!

I don't intend to sound arrogant about a 26, I am just saying that is not an "acceptable" (pardon the pun) score. Especially since I have been studying. I don't mean to offend or step on any toes.

Just to let you know: TPR's 1st diagnostic is was written with testing your memory in mind. So a lot of ppl don't do as well as they hope because you haven't reviewed the material. Take in stride.

No need to get discouraged--in my TPR class, people got 12's on that first diagnostic. It pushes you to work hard so you see those scores going up for yourself.

I thought I was the only one who felt like the test just killed them. I took a kaplan practice exam before and I did very well on the verbal section. However, this time the verbal section was my lowest score. I'm kind of freaking out. Hey chuck, do you live in tampa?

tomorrowgirl99 said:
I thought I was the only one who felt like the test just killed them. I took a kaplan practice exam before and I did very well on the verbal section. However, this time the verbal section was my lowest score. I'm kind of freaking out. Hey chuck, do you live in tampa?

well, i got my score back and it was pretty goddamn ugly.. its in the double-digits, to say the least.. yea, i'm in tampa but i'm taking TPR

chuckcamp said:
well, i got my score back and it was pretty goddamn ugly.. its in the double-digits, to say the least.. yea, i'm in tampa but i'm taking TPR

It would just about have to be in the double digits. As long as it's between 10-45...

chuckcamp said:
OK, so i signed up for TPR and our 1st meeting was a practice test today (saturday) from 9AM to 5PM and it was pretty bad... ya, i know, its supposed to be bad...

my question is this: was everything on there supposed to look familiar at least? because i saw stuff on there that I HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE IN MY LIFE. it makes me wonder if i had the proper preparation in my prereqs for this stuff. i mean, i did pretty well in my science classes, what gives? am i just freaking out over nothing, and will the mcat class teach me everything i need to know?

1) the reason everything looks unfamiliar to you is because THE MCAT IS NOT A BIOLOGY/PHYSICS/ORGO/CHEM TEST. IT IS A TEST OF YOUR ABILITY TO APPLY YOUR KNOWLEDGE IN THESE SUBJECTS IN NEW, CHALLENGING SITUATIONS. That's the challenge of the MCAT. They mix it all up in ways you've never seen before.

2) TPR's diagnostic has to be hard. That's the only way they can semi-honestly say that "your score will increase by 10 points." Too bad going from a 10 to a 20 won't get you into med school. It's the final results that matter, not how much you go up.