I keep getting 8s on EK Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did the first 2 EK Verbal tests in 1001 passages and got 8s on them. I just started studying for the MCAT. Got exactly 20 questions wrong out of 60 on both of them. AHHH! Why are these tests designed in such a way that you get the SAME score each time.

However, I took AAMC CBT 1 (the free one) and got a 10 on Verbal. Except that probably means nothing since its the easiest one lol.

I've got 3 months until the MCAT (August 20th).. possible to bring those 8s up to maybe 12s?

Members don't see this ad.

Not to be a downer, but my EK scores were 9's and 10's. My scores on the AAMC exams seemed to slowly go downhill and I think its because I didnt do it every single day. If I have to take the MCAT again, I am doing at least 5 VR passages a day EVERY day for 3 weeks. So my advice is to not slack off at all, keep hammering away and your score will stay consistant at the very least.

The first passage, I did in december just for fun.

The second one, I did again just yesterday for fun. Got the same score... hoping it goes up somehow

well, on the first try, you just scored the national average of the scores of people who actually studied for the MCAT...
Dont worry, you'll get better...much better...

Members don't see this ad :)
EK verbal really annoys me..there are certain signs of wrong answers that arent preserved in EK verbal.

For example, AAMC rarely uses extreme or absolute wording yet EK does it left and right.

Also, EK seems to expect you to really make assumptions about the author that would be OOS for aamc verbal.

EK verbal makes me mad.

i agree. i've been noticing a huge disconect btw AAMC and EK, and my scores are suffering as a result. keep making the SAME mistakes time after time w/ EK, and i've scored 9s on the seven i've taken (mind you i'm an MCAT retaker, so this 9 is far less than desired). what's a girl to do with 9 days remaining?

vomit.

i agree. i've been noticing a huge disconect btw AAMC and EK, and my scores are suffering as a result. keep making the SAME mistakes time after time w/ EK, and i've scored 9s on the seven i've taken (mind you i'm an MCAT retaker, so this 9 is far less than desired). what's a girl to do with 9 days remaining?

vomit.

I hope the disconnect isn't too great, I've finally cracked double digits on the EK101 passages! Perhaps someone who did a lot of EK101 can comment on the correlation to AAMC verbal scores.

I think it's really good practice for reading comprehension and being able to pound through dense passages. Nevertheless, EK 1001 has some really ambiguous answers and doesn't follow the same answer trends seen by aamc tests....

that's my deal. AAMC verbal may have harder or more obscure passages but the right answer choices are more clear than in EK 1001...in EK, you can usually narrow down to two and come up with strong reason to pick either..then it becomes a guessing game.

I had the same scores on the 3 EK and 2 AAMC verbals that I took - all 10.

If my scores are actually ever going to be put up today :)rolleyes: ) I'll let you know how I did on the real thing. ETA: also a 10.

I've had these VR scores:

AAMC CBT3 - 12
AAMC CBT4 - 12
EK VR TEST 1 - 9
Princeton Review Free CBT VR - 9
Kaplan Free Paper Test 1- 12

I haven't done any VR preparation outside of those tests, and I just finished EK VR 40 minutes ago.

Here's to hoping EK has their score conversion wrong.

I've had these VR scores:

AAMC CBT3 - 12
AAMC CBT4 - 12
EK VR TEST 1 - 9
Princeton Review Free CBT VR - 9
Kaplan Free Paper Test 1- 12

I haven't done any VR preparation outside of those tests, and I just finished EK VR 40 minutes ago.

Here's to hoping EK has their score conversion wrong.

yay you give me hope

I got an 8 on my first practice test and eventually scored in the 10-11 range after taking all of the tests in the EK 101 book. I scored a 10 in verbal on the real thing. It helped me improve but it took a rather long time.

I consistently got 7's or 8's on my EK Verbal - But got a 10 on the real thing. I thought the EK Verbal was pretty decent prep.

EK verbal's i got consistent 8-9's with the occasional 10
AAMC i got mainly 8-9's but AAMC 7 and AAMC 10 i got 6's.

took the hardest verbal i'd ever seen on the april 12 exam and ended out with a 11. I thought i got a 6 on the verbal when i left. There is a lot of chance involved in verbal. whether it be the passage info or the types of questions. I would try and work on what kind of passages you have trouble on, that what i did for the last 2 weeks or so, when i realized that taking full length verbals weren't helping me at all....those damn social science passages always are very enjoyable, but usually harder questions.

EK verbal has some good reading comprehension questions, but then again their passages are too easy to read. On top of that, sometimes they ask really absurd questions that require you to assume things that you normally do not assume on an AAMC test.

I would try verbal passages from another company also to get some practice with those really abstract, artsy passages. TPR has some, but I'm sure other people do also.