I keep getting post-interview rejections... :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear that :(. Did they send you a letter? When was this, if you dont mind me asking?

No we havent met after that interview.

Email. Sigh. Fiancé tells me it's ok, he didnt want to go back to his hometown anyway, etc.
he's probably lying to make me feel better though.

Members don't see this ad.

Email. Sigh. Fiancé tells me it's ok, he didnt want to go back to his hometown anyway, etc.
he's probably lying to make me feel better though.

Nah. Don't think so. Your romantic story is heartwarming ;)

Anyhow, best of luck physiologist! I hope you'll get in this cycle! Your participation in the Panic Thread and here makes it seem that you're determined to get in :xf:. While depressing, it's a pretty unique adventure, and here's to hoping you'll be accepted soon. :luck:

Nah. Don't think so. Your romantic story is heartwarming ;)

Anyhow, best of luck physiologist! I hope you'll get in this cycle! Your participation in the Panic Thread and here makes it seem that you're determined to get in :xf:. While depressing, it's a pretty unique adventure, and here's to hoping you'll be accepted soon. :luck:

Thanks for the encouragement. I never thought I'd get so much love and support on SDN. It's nice to know that the future of the medical profession is not all status-obsessed gunners.

I'm never giving up my dream of being a physician. I'll do a grad program if I have to. In fact, I found a really neat one that seems to fit all my interests that I just applied to (but it's kinda hard to get into). Hopefully that would give me the extra "oomph" I need, and since it's a 2-year program, I'll hopefully be married and US PR by the time I apply again. At the same time, I'm getting a bit impatient and want to be a doctor NOW. Every time I shadow, I have this feeling of belonging, of needing to be a part of it... it's a yearning that is difficult to explain. I want to devote my life to serving others and indulging in my love and curiosity for the human body... I just hope I get the chance. Whenever I see people applying for the money or parental pride part of me dies inside, when I realize I don't care about money, I just want to do what I love to do for the rest of my life - and yet these people are getting in over me for silly reasons.

Regardless, I'm lucky I have such a wonderful, supportive fiancé who said he would move with me if I get into medical school so he could be there for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement. I never thought I'd get so much love and support on SDN. It's nice to know that the future of the medical profession is not all status-obsessed gunners.

I'm never giving up my dream of being a physician. I'll do a grad program if I have to. In fact, I found a really neat one that seems to fit all my interests that I just applied to (but it's kinda hard to get into). Hopefully that would give me the extra "oomph" I need, and since it's a 2-year program, I'll hopefully be married and US PR by the time I apply again. At the same time, I'm getting a bit impatient and want to be a doctor NOW. Every time I shadow, I have this feeling of belonging, of needing to be a part of it... it's a yearning that is difficult to explain. I want to devote my life to serving others and indulging in my love and curiosity for the human body... I just hope I get the chance. Whenever I see people applying for the money or parental pride part of me dies inside, when I realize I don't care about money, I just want to do what I love to do for the rest of my life - and yet these people are getting in over me for silly reasons.

Regardless, I'm lucky I have such a wonderful, supportive fiancé who said he would move with me if I get into medical school so he could be there for me.

That was beautiful! That is the kind of stuff you need to share in a LOI...pour your heart out in the love of medicine!

I want to devote my life to serving others and indulging in my love and curiosity for the human body...

Honestly, that part about indulging in your curiosity for the human body sounds creepy, I would avoid using that wording.

Whenever I see people applying for the money or parental pride part of me dies inside, when I realize I don't care about money, I just want to do what I love to do for the rest of my life - and yet these people are getting in over me for silly reasons.

And this statement is just going too far. You don't want to come off a sounding entitled and insulting pretty much anybody else who got accepted.

Last edited:
Honestly, that part about indulging in your curiosity for the human body sounds creepy, I would avoid using that wording.

And this statement is just going too far. You don't want to come off a sounding entitled and insulting pretty much anybody else who got accepted. You aren't even a resident of this country, so those aren't silly reasons. Americans can't get accepted to Canadian schools, is that silly?

I mean, I don't see why private schools should discriminate. All the Canadian schools are public.

Also, I'm referring to Canadian schools, too, which are ten times worse than US schools in terms of utterly unfair admissions policies. They care about grades and that's literally it. Once you reach a baseline for grades, like a 3.8 or something for most, THEN they discriminate based on other things. Otherwise they toss you out with little thought unless you are aboriginal (this kind of AA is something I totally support though). It's kind of sad how many of my friends with like 3.78 GPAs who are rejected for their grades for not meeting the 3.8 cutoffs.

Also I wouldn't send that in an LOI. It's a tad bit unprofessional. But it's how I feel.

Last edited:
I mean, I don't see why private schools should discriminate. All the Canadian schools are public.

Also, I'm referring to Canadian schools, too, which are ten times worse than US schools in terms of utterly unfair admissions policies. They care about grades and that's literally it. Once you reach a baseline for grades, like a 3.8 or something for most, THEN they discriminate based on other things. Otherwise they toss you out with little thought unless you are aboriginal (this kind of AA is something I totally support though). It's kind of sad how many of my friends with like 3.78 GPAs who are rejected for their grades for not meeting the 3.8 cutoffs.

Also I wouldn't send that in an LOI. It's a tad bit unprofessional. But it's how I feel.

ah, I see. Honestly, your 3.5ish GPA isn't even that low by American standards. I mean it would be good enough for an acceptance somewhere if you have a solid MCAT and ECs. You said you would be getting married? I'd expect the U.S. citizenship to help you out a lot. Schools will understand if there was a reason for low undergraduate grades, but since then you've proved your worth by crushing a heavy graduate workload.

ah, I see. Honestly, your 3.5ish GPA isn't even that low by American standards. I mean it would be good enough for an acceptance somewhere if you have a solid MCAT and ECs. You said you would be getting married? I'd expect the U.S. citizenship to help you out a lot. Schools will understand if there was a reason for low undergraduate grades, but since then you've proved your worth by crushing a heavy graduate workload.

I will be starting grad school in the fall if Schools #3 or #4 don't miraculously accept me. I doubt I'd be given citizenship immediately after marriage - I'd probably get PR within the year. But I fully intend to live in the US, especially because my fiancé is American. My father is also a dual citizen (although he's never lived in the US) and 2/4 of my grandparents are Americans born and raised in NY. My parents tried to apply for US citizenship for me when I was born but were denied because my dad never lived there.

I'm thinking to apply in June and send an email update when I get married that I should be getting PR by the time I matriculate. Thoughts?

I will be starting grad school in the fall if Schools #3 or #4 don't miraculously accept me. I doubt I'd be given citizenship immediately after marriage - I'd probably get PR within the year. But I fully intend to live in the US, especially because my fiancé is American. My father is also a dual citizen (although he's never lived in the US) and 2/4 of my grandparents are Americans born and raised in NY. My parents tried to apply for US citizenship for me when I was born but were denied because my dad never lived there.

I'm thinking to apply in June and send an email update when I get married that I should be getting PR by the time I matriculate. Thoughts?

Do you mean apply to med school again in June?

Do you mean apply to med school again in June?

Yes, this time I hope I'll benefit from applying way early. I wonder if it would make a difference if I send an update letter to schools in October when I get married that I'll have PR by the time I matriculate?

Yes, this time I hope I'll benefit from applying way early. I wonder if it would make a difference if I send an update letter to schools in October when I get married that I'll have PR by the time I matriculate?

Well, considering how late you applied it should help you get more interviews. You need to apply to alot of schools and especially ones that take high numbers of OOS applicants. Still though, it sounds like something about your interviews is causing the rejections. You shouldn't be getting rejected without at least waitlists from all those schools. You could definitely improve your stats if you end up taking time off.

Well, considering how late you applied it should help you get more interviews. You need to apply to alot of schools and especially ones that take high numbers of OOS applicants. Still though, it sounds like something about your interviews is causing the rejections. You shouldn't be getting rejected without at least waitlists from all those schools. You could definitely improve your stats if you end up taking time off.

I mean, I could always apply a 3rd time, right?

Also, I'm going to work on my interview skills. My current UG doesn't have a premed advisory at all, whatsoever. I'm hoping I can go see a premed advisor at my grad school and get better help. US schools are apparently a lot better at premed advising in Canada. Premed advising in Canada is practically nonexistent.

So I have no idea how this works but once I had canadian neighbors.. could you get your green card, then get married and instantly (more or less) become a U.S. citizen?

Also - did you decide on nixing that last paragraph? Are you sending the LOI asap? Good luck to you!

So I have no idea how this works but once I had canadian neighbors.. could you get your green card, then get married and instantly (more or less) become a U.S. citizen?

Also - did you decide on nixing that last paragraph? Are you sending the LOI asap? Good luck to you!

Yeah, I nixed it and sent it.

Also it's difficult to get a green card. There's a 7-14 year wait for those without US spouses!

No, I was only INTERVIEWED at 4 schools. I'm referring to the schools I was interviewed at.

Stats: GPA: 3.52, MCAT: 31R. OOS. ORM.
FWIW, I was interviewed twice during my first year with an inordinately low MCAT and was rejected at one school and WL at the other. The thought that "once you interview your stats don't matter" doesn't always hold true. The school that rejected me specifically cited my MCAT as the (only) determining factor.

Good luck!

FWIW, I was interviewed twice during my first year with an inordinately low MCAT and was rejected at one school and WL at the other. The thought that "once you interview your stats don't matter" doesn't always hold true. The school that rejected me specifically cited my MCAT as the (only) determining factor.

Good luck!

See, that's what I don't get. Why would a school make you spend so much time and money and energy to travel and interview when they are just going to reject you for your stats? It boggles my mind.

I feel like that's why so many people on SDN get waitlists instead of rejections post-interview. If an interview goes "meh" or badly and someone has high stats, they usually waitlist them. If they have low-stats and the interview wasn't fantastic, it's off to the rejection pile. I think I'm starting to understand why I'm getting post-interview rejections - because I'm an underdog to begin with, and don't have my GPA to rescue me at all (unlike most of SDN).

See, that's what I don't get. Why would a school make you spend so much time and money and energy to travel and interview when they are just going to reject you for your stats? It boggles my mind.

I feel like that's why so many people on SDN get waitlists instead of rejections post-interview. If an interview goes "meh" or badly and someone has high stats, they usually waitlist them. If they have low-stats and the interview wasn't fantastic, it's off to the rejection pile. I think I'm starting to understand why I'm getting post-interview rejections - because I'm an underdog to begin with, and don't have my GPA to rescue me at all (unlike most of SDN).
Trust me I know. I threw down their rejection letter and stomped on it like a 4 year old for that reason: Why? If you rejected me on something you already knew was an issue, why did we both spend the money and effort?

Others have commented that perhaps they're interviewing you to see if there's anything else extraordinary about you before making a decision. :shrug:

Trust me guys, good grades don't save you from a bad interview. I guess you have the opposite problem though