I keep getting post-interview rejections... :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Getting an interview means somebody on the adcom thought, at least, you might maybe be an ok addition to their school.

It doesn't mean your interviewer thought that. They may not be the person who wanted you to come interview. The person (or people) who first saw the file and hit the invite button may be the only people on a 20+ person committee who wanted to give you a chance, and if your interviewer didn't agree with their decision to invite you...

Compound this with schools often interviewing 10x as many candidates as they have spots, your status as Canadian, stats problems, some schools not considering the whole file before inviting you, and perhaps not being the best candidate your interviewer has ever seen walk through the door...

I know it sucks, but you can see how the puzzle fits together, right?

^ Correct

Post interview, they're looking for any reason to narrow down a whole bunch of qualified individuals.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I guess if there was a bad LOR you wouldn't get an interview in the first place. How did you feel about the interviews? Was it like a comfortable, casual conversation or were you super nervous?

First one was a bit awkward, second was great! Like a dream!

BTW I bet your fourth decision will come back as an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ Correct

Post interview, they're looking for any reason to narrow down a whole bunch of qualified individuals.

But don't they just reject all the people who red flag and wait list everyone else? Like what LizzyM herself said.

BTW I bet your fourth decision will come back as an acceptance.

If it did I would be the happiest person in the world. I love that city, that school, and it's where my in-laws live. It would be perfect...

I just hope it works out. I have a lousy track record-not even a waitlist!! The chances of me getting an acceptance after that are like negative infinity!!!

The school i got the rejection for today was 60% off the bat acceptance.
Also the rejection was for their dual MD/Masters program. I just got passed over to the MD admissions committee. Not hopeful though, although they say its less competitive.

It's understandable - and certainly justifiable - to be angry about it. Statistics are incredibly misleading, and that 60% most likely is not for the MD/MS program.

I just provided you with the answer to your main question. The whole committee doesn't usually decide to interview you - only a few members do, and they may not form the majority opinion. There are numerous people invited to schools every year that, no matter how well their interview will go, will never get accepted simply due to this part of the process. Many schools are better at filtering than others, but there you go.

The process is what it is, and you're overall at one of the shorter ends of the proverbial stick. That sucks, but it's not quite over. Given the time in the cycle, if you're planning to go to medical school, set the anger aside for a moment and consider writing an outright LOI to this school and really sell them on why you're a great fit for their program. Given that it's March, if they haven't made the decision already an LOI could go a long way toward improving your chances of admission. No guarantees, but your cycle isn't over yet.

It's understandable - and certainly justifiable - to be angry about it. Statistics are incredibly misleading, and that 60% most likely is not for the MD/MS program.

I just provided you with the answer to your main question. The whole committee doesn't usually decide to interview you - only a few members do, and they may not form the majority opinion. There are numerous people invited to schools every year that, no matter how well their interview will go, will never get accepted simply due to this part of the process. Many schools are better at filtering than others, but there you go.

The process is what it is, and you're overall at one of the shorter ends of the proverbial stick. That sucks, but it's not quite over. Given the time in the cycle, if you're planning to go to medical school, set the anger aside for a moment and consider writing an outright LOI to this school and really sell them on why you're a great fit for their program. Given that it's March, if they haven't made the decision already an LOI could go a long way toward improving your chances of admission. No guarantees, but your cycle isn't over yet.

School doesn't accept LOIs.

And this is why only applying to 4 schools really hurt you, OP. I know it's hard financially, but you really need to apply broadly. You need to do everything in your power to statistically increase your chances.

For the umpteenth time, I didn't apply to four schools, I applied to 25. Interviewed at 4, with 3 post-interview rejections.

That Su the one that doesn't accept LOIs. And I sent an update letter a couple weeks ago. Should I send another?

Sorry I might be annoying here. Did you try to call them ask why they reject you?

Sorry I might be annoying here. Did you try to call them ask why they reject you?

I did. They said they don't know but I can ask the dean if I get rejected from the actual med school directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the umpteenth time, I didn't apply to four schools, I applied to 25. Interviewed at 4, with 3 post-interview rejections.

oh sorry, I just read 4 schools at the beginning of the thread. The post interview rejections are strange since you'd think you'd at least get wait list. Maybe try emailing one of your interviewers asking for feedback?

oh sorry, I just read 4 schools at the beginning of the thread. The post interview rejections are strange since you'd think you'd at least get wait list. Maybe try emailing one of your interviewers asking for feedback?

I don't know why other people don't do this. I knew profoundly more about my cycle earlier than others from the rhetoric my interviewers used when (if) they responded to me. Not many will give true feedback, and may not remember you weeks later, but the day after? One wrote me nearly 3 pages of analysis (another wrote 2) that went a very long way toward improving how I represent myself as a person.

Thats the one that doesn't accept LOIs. And I sent an update letter a couple weeks ago. Should I send another?

If you have something to update them with, sure. If they don't accept LOIs, though, it probably won't help. I've heard some schools give extra consideration to candidates who report they haven't been accepted anywhere else, but I don't know if that would matter until you're on a waitlist.

I don't know why other people don't do this. I knew profoundly more about my cycle earlier than others from the rhetoric my interviewers used when (if) they responded to me. Not many will give true feedback, and may not remember you weeks later, but the day after? One wrote me nearly 3 pages of analysis (another wrote 2) that went a very long way toward improving how I represent myself as a person.

You asked for interview feedback a day after your interview? That's brave, I'd be too worried about rocking the boat before a decision has been made. :oops:

I did today . She refused to disclose anything as she is not allowed to discuss these things with individual applicants. My hope is the dean - he seems more candid than the others. I think I'll send him an epic LOI about how I know my gpa isn't the greatest but I'm up for the challenge... And then maybe I could ask for feedback? I'll say that I can't learn from my mistakes if I don't know what my mistakes are... Idk.

+1

I think many people don't realize this, and take the mantra "if you are offered an interview it means the school is interested in you" too much to heart. The more accurate statement is "if you are offered an interview it means that at least someone at the school is interested in you", which, frankly, simply isn't enough in certain situations.

OP,

I met you at one of the schools you applied to. I am perplexed, did they already reject you? :(
You seem like such a nice person and someone I can talk to easily. All the best to you dear. :biglove:

OP,

I met you at one of the schools you applied to. I am perplexed, did they already reject you? :(
You seem like such a nice person and someone I can talk to easily. All the best to you dear. :biglove:

Really? So I didn't stick out in the wrong way? Whew! Thanks!

No, haven't heard back from them yet. It was another school I thought I'd get at least a waitlist for. Sigh.

Best of luck to you!

Really? So I didn't stick out in the wrong way? Whew! Thanks!

No, haven't heard back from them yet. It was another school I thought I'd get at least a waitlist for. Sigh.

Best of luck to you!

I definitely didnt get that impression. Haha. :p

Since I don't think my chances at the school I just interviewed at are very high, I'm going to write an LOI for the school where I just got put in the MD pile. Does anyone want to be awesome and look over my LOI? Remember I sent an update letter after I got a publication. Since then I got "hired" by a prof to do research with him over the summer.

I did. They said they don't know but I can ask the dean if I get rejected from the actual med school directly.

OP, TECHNICALLY then you got rejected from 2 and you are waiting to hear back from 2.

You can automatically scratch that first interview off because you 1. wore an inappropriate outfit and 2. you said the interview was awkward.

So you got rejected from the 2nd one for reasons unknown / chance / whatever everyone stated above.

3rd school you got deferred to their MD program only - just wait you might get accepted here.

I think if you get post-interview rejected from the last 3, then there is a discussion to be had, but honestly based off what you said about the first interview, I'd throw it off the table in your statistics. Really you are looking at 1 out of 3 post-interview rejections so far, 2 decisions pending.

Since I don't think my chances at the school I just interviewed at are very high, I'm going to write an LOI for the school where I just got put in the MD pile. Does anyone want to be awesome and look over my LOI? Remember I sent an update letter after I got a publication. Since then I got "hired" by a prof to do research with him over the summer.

sure PM it in the body of the msg and I'll read it

OP, TECHNICALLY then you got rejected from 2 and you are waiting to hear back from 2.

You can automatically scratch that first interview off because you 1. wore an inappropriate outfit and 2. you said the interview was awkward.

So you got rejected from the 2nd one for reasons unknown / chance / whatever everyone stated above.

3rd school you got deferred to their MD program only - just wait you might get accepted here.

I think if you get post-interview rejected from the last 3, then there is a discussion to be had, but honestly based off what you said about the first interview, I'd throw it off the table in your statistics. Really you are looking at 1 out of 3 post-interview rejections so far, 2 decisions pending.

PMed you. Thanks so much!

Also, I could use a second opinion, so if anyone else is game, bring it on.

So you really think I can get straight-out ACCEPTED to the MD program while getting flat-out REJECTED to the MD/Master's program? I don't think that makes all that much sense. Even though the MD program accepts 60% of all interviewees outright and gives out waitlists to nearly everyone else.

Also, pepperthelaunch - given how I feel that my 3rd interview went better than my 4th, I am simply not confident I will get in, as much as I love the 4th school (the one we both interviewed at). I want to have this LOI as assurance that I did absolutely everything I can, especially since I can't send LOI to the 4th school.

So you really think I can get straight-out ACCEPTED to the MD program while getting flat-out REJECTED to the MD/Master's program? I don't think that makes all that much sense. Even though the MD program accepts 60% of all interviewees outright and gives out waitlists to nearly everyone else.

Also, pepperthelaunch - given how I feel that my 3rd interview went better than my 4th, I am simply not confident I will get in, as much as I love the 4th school (the one we both interviewed at). I want to have this LOI as assurance that I did absolutely everything I can, especially since I can't send LOI to the 4th school.

I read it and PM'd you back... send me the different one when you can, then I think you should have someone else on hear read BOTH in case what I said doesn't make sense / or you don't agree. And just so you can see the difference in the two and how someone would respond.

I think you can get into the MD program instead of MD/Master's. The latter is more competitive usually.

The process seems thick in subjectivity and whims, so yea, I think it's possible. Count yourself out only when all decisions are made. Oh, and I'm sure you already thought of this, be prepared for a second round just in case.

Still wishing you a ton of luck!

The process seems thick in subjectivity and whims, so yea, I think it's possible. Count yourself out only when all decisions are made. Oh, and I'm sure you already thought of this, be prepared for a second round just in case.

Still wishing you a ton of luck!

Thank you!! I love all your optimism and I hope it is warranted. Then again, one can always count on SDN to kick us off our high horse, so I'm definitely heartened by all this positivity!

Cinamin - To be fair, that first interview really SHOULDN'T count. I had no idea what I was doing really despite mock interviews with some friends, and prepared for my 3rd and 4th using an awesome coach.

"I just received my third post-interview rejection out of four schools I applied to."

You should really fix that sentence. It's giving a lot of people the impression that you only applied to four schools.

"I just received my third post-interview rejection out of four schools I applied to."

You should really fix that sentence. It's giving a lot of people the impression that you only applied to four schools.

I wrote that sentence? Gah!!! Will fix!!! Sorry guys

Cinamin, sent you draft 2. Thanks so much for your help!

Looking for someone to look over the second draft of my LOI.

So here are my thoughts on School 3 vs. School 4

Without question, I was a much better fit for school 4. The people there were all made of awesome, and my fellow interviewees were the neatest bunch I've ever had the pleasure of getting to know. I fit into the social atmosphere for sure. I also have stronger ties to the state as my fiancé is from there and his entire family still lives there save for his parents (3 siblings and tons of nephews and nieces, all alumni of the undergrad). That being said, they're less OOS-friendly than School 3.

I also feel I was able to make a better case as to why I'm a better fit for School 4.

School 3 and 4 are both public state schools.

For School 3, I had 2 faculty interviews. One went great and the other, meh. School 4 had a faculty and MS4. Faculty went great, MS4 interview was kinda weird and I was nervous. Faculty have more say though.

Overall, I'm not sure if my better fit and strongish ties will offset my OOS status hurting me more. Also, for School 3, my GPA falls below their 10th percentile, whereas School 4, I fall between the 10th percentile and the average.

Here's to hoping!!!

If you really think the interview was the problem, the best piece of advice I can give you is to record yourself with a camera while doing a mock interview.

It might be really painful to look at, but it's the best way to notice any red flags.

Also, ask your close friends or family to give you some feedback on the recording.

If you really think the interview was the problem, the best piece of advice I can give you is to record yourself with a camera while doing a mock interview.

It might be really painful to look at, but it's the best way to notice any red flags.

Also, ask your close friends or family to give you some feedback on the recording.

I did exactly that 2 days before Interview 4. Hope it helped!!!

At least you didn't get rejected!!! I'd kill to know what my red flag was.

Also, if they hate low-stat Canadians so much, why would they interview me?

I could be wrong, but I don't think you're competing against domestic applicants. You may be competing against other int'ls when a school has a goal/limit of accepting only X. So, instead of a 30-50% likelihood of getting accepted post-interview like some schools for domestics, the likelihood of an int'l getting accepted post-interview may be 10-20%. JMO...I don't know for sure, but I don't think you're really competing against domestics.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you're competing against domestic applicants. You may be competing against other int'ls when a school has a goal/limit of accepting only X. So, instead of a 30-50% likelihood of getting accepted post-interview like some schools for domestics, the likelihood of an int'l getting accepted post-interview may be 10-20%. JMO...I don't know for sure, but I don't think you're really competing against domestics.

Yeah, com to think of it, it could just be that you are international. There would be very few spots reserved for internationals, which would give you a low probability of success after interview.

Yeah, com to think of it, it could just be that you are international. There would be very few spots reserved for internationals, which would give you a low probability of success after interview.

Not sure about School #3, but I know for a fact School #4 sees me as domestic OOS (they said so in the talk).

I'm crossing my fingers for you! I really hope you hear good news soon. Don't be discouraged and keep your head up!

I'm crossing my fingers for you! I really hope you hear good news soon. Don't be discouraged and keep your head up!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I could really use some at a time like this.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I could really use some at a time like this.

Really hope you get through. I'm rooting for you and I think you still have a good chance for success this cycle. Don't give up!

Best of luck to you, hope that LOI for the 3rd school works its charm. Hehe.

I am also still waiting on that school that you call school 4 lol. It has been awful quiet and I am just as stressed as you are. I ONLY have 1 interview. :eek:

So do letters of intent make a difference? Can it make up for a not-so-good interview if you had good stats?

Really hope you get through. I'm rooting for you and I think you still have a good chance for success this cycle. Don't give up!

I'm rooting for you, fellow alien! XD

I promise med schools, we come in peace! Just accept us, mkay?

pepperthelaunch said:

I am also still waiting on that school that you call school 4 lol. It has been awful quiet and I am just as stressed as you are. I ONLY have 1 interview.

I'm rooting for you!!! Pepper, it's still way too early, this school is notorious for taking its sweet, sweet time to get back to applicants. Expect an answer by early April the earliest. And if it comes in late April/May, don't be surprised either. Also, I loooved School 4, if I get in, I may just have to go. I just think snowballs have a greater chance in hell than I have at getting accepted.

And remember, it really only takes one. I'm grateful for the interviews I have but feel kinda mad at myself for screwing up these amazing opportunities.

Not sure about School #3, but I know for a fact School #4 sees me as domestic OOS (they said so in the talk).

This sounds like a public SOM. Does it accept very many OOS students? Since we don't know what school this is, being treated similarly as an OOS domestic applicant still doesn't mean that the OOS odds are good. The OOS odds may still be much lower than the instate applicants.

This sounds like a public SOM. Does it accept very many OOS students? Since we don't know what school this is, being treated similarly as an OOS domestic applicant still doesn't mean that the OOS odds are good. The OOS odds may still be much lower than the instate applicants.

School 3 interviews a few dozen more IS than OOS and accepts IS:OOS at a 5:4 ratio.

Not sure about School 4, but only 20% of their class is IS. Not sure about acceptance info but IS people are all crazy about the school yet very few oOS accept their offers. So I'm not sure.

As a whole, school 3 seems more OOS-friendly, but school 4 seems more Canadian-friendly. Not even sure if school 3 considers us internationals, but school 4 does not. School 4 is right near the border, so they're more familiar with Canada.

Note: school 2 is a private school that interviews 4-5x their class size. Not the least bit surprised about the result.

Last edited:

I am also still waiting on that school that you call school 4 lol. It has been awful quiet and I am just as stressed as you are. I ONLY have 1 interview. :eek:

Looking at your post history, I think it was actually school 2 that we interviewed at. I was rejected :(

Unless we interviewed AGAIN at the same school last friday....

Clarification: Fiancé's parents live near school 2, siblings live near school 4, we both don't mind being in either of those places. As for School 3, there are the most job opportunities for him near there. So either school would have been great!

Looking at your post history, I think it was actually school 2 that we interviewed at. I was rejected :(

Unless we interviewed AGAIN at the same school last friday....

Clarification: Fiancé's parents live near school 2, siblings live near school 4, we both don't mind being in either of those places. As for School 3, there are the most job opportunities for him near there. So either school would have been great!

I'm sorry to hear that :(. Did they send you a letter? When was this, if you dont mind me asking?

No we havent met after that interview.