I know I can Succeed with the Help of Jesus Christ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What if your partner was an atheist? I was never able to make my relationships work out when my other half held deep religious convictions. :(
Eh, you can do it dude. Most religious people aren't very religious. I'm a good example- I was raised by two Christian parents, but they never told me what to believe, they figured that was for me to decide on my own and find my own path. If I were ever to have children, I'd give them the same courtesy. But if my partner were particularly religious, I guess I'd cede to them- I'm pretty easy going. Basically the key is not giving a ****.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The thing is atheism isn't that big of a thing yet. Someday, when you've got a lot of people that are atheists, you'll start getting some stupid as **** atheists. Right now, we only get the occasional Unabomber, dictator, or ecoterrorist, because there's really only a very, very small population of atheists from which to draw. But crazy comes in all stripes. There have been dictators that were atheists, who killed those that opposed them to create what they viewed as "a better world." The Unabomber believed technology was harmful to humanity's future and the environment, so his targets were selected accordingly. Ecoterrorists tend to target development projects that they disagree with, and have killed people in the process. Ecoterrorists (and their animal activist brethren) tend to be white, educated, and non-religiously affiliated.

In 2008 the Federal Bureau of Investigation said eco-terrorists represented "one of the most serious domestic terrorism threats in the U.S. today" citing the sheer volume of their crimes (over 2,000 since 1979); the huge economic impact (losses of more than $110 million since 1979); the wide range of victims (from international corporations to lumber companies to animal testing facilities to genetic research firms); and their increasingly violent rhetoric and tactics (one recent communiqué sent to a California product testing company said: "You might be able to protect your buildings, but can you protect the homes of every employee?").

Give it time. Atheists will catch up when their numbers do. Because at the end of the day, evil isn't about religion or political affiliation. It's part of human nature.

Wot? Dude, stop grasping at desperate examples of terrorists that aren't religiously affiliated and try to assimilate them into a cause against religion. None of your examples are this case. Fearing technology, ecoterrorists, and prejudice against Jews are in no way "atheist causes." The biggest threat to the U.S. specifically - domestic separatists. And boy, look no further for gun-toting-bible-thumpers than that group.

Atheists, or Humanists (if you prefer a softer title), are for human rights and human equality. Equality without adhering to an archaeic text (enter your holy book of choice here), that all have the same general themes of sexism, prejudice against homosexuals, and preaching intent to covert all non-believers to worshiping their deity.

And stop with the "atheism isn't that big yet" thing. I don't know what kind of bubble you live in, but we're everywhere. I have little doubt that atheists/humanists/skeptics/nonbelievers will be the majority in the US within 50 years. FWIW for some context, I'm a southern veteran, not some fringe hippy idealist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously don't think though that there are that many girls out there who are that religious that they just couldn't be with you exclusively on that basis. Especially college educated women that are taught to have open minds and to be accepting of others.

Education is the most powerful tool a human can have.

Eh, you can do it dude. Most religious people aren't very religious. I'm a good example- I was raised by two Christian parents, but they never told me what to believe, they figured that was for me to decide on my own and find my own path. If I were ever to have children, I'd give them the same courtesy. But if my partner were particularly religious, I guess I'd cede to them- I'm pretty easy going. Basically the key is not giving a ****.
The guy I'm thinking of took me to a pretty laid back church. I mean, they were cool with a gay couple in their church after all. Now that I think about it, politics probably broke that **** up faster than religion lol

The guy I'm thinking of took me to a pretty laid back church. I mean, they were cool with a gay couple in their church after all. Now that I think about it, politics probably broke that **** up faster than religion lol
Huh, sounds just like the problems normal people have.

Huh, sounds just like the problems normal people have.
Believe it or not, when we aren't having promiscuous sex, redecorating your living room, or shopping for shoes, we can act like human beings from time to time. :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, when we aren't having promiscuous sex, redecorating your living room, or shopping for shoes, we can act like human beings from time to time. :rolleyes:
Lol my bad, I don't usually sound like such a tool.

Reactions: 1 user
The original discussion was about where "fundamental Western principles" are derived from. I suppose Mad and I were a bit vague about defining "fundamental Western principles." That's probably where the confusion is coming from.

I'm not terribly interested in what influenced society in 1042 A.D. If we are in the middle of an abstract academic seminar, fine. But the "values" of, say, feudalism are really not relevant to today's society. Enlightenment values and the Classics dominate modern Western discourse to a much greater extent than anything from the Old or New Testament. A society where religion still has a much greater philosophical hold would be the Middle East.

Actually, I've heard more than one historian draw parallels with the rise of capitalism and the control of mega-corporations as a type of modern day feudalism.

So actually, understanding the politics of 1042 AD is still relevant education, but you have to study history to understand that. You have to study it to know why it's still relevant to study in the first place. In my experience, most people don't bother.

In any case, someone who wants to poo-poo sociology, psychology, ethnography, anthropology, or any derivatives thereof (evolutionary psychology, cultural anthropology, etc) is not likely to find much value in the study of history, or will be able to or interested in recognizing the the effects that Judaism, Christianity, Protestantism, Puritanism, British common law, the Norman invasion, Anglo-Saxon culture, the Victorian Era, all have on our day to day lives in this country.

Me too. I'll work out and study all day and then lay in bed staring at the ceiling for hours despite the fact that my body must be exhausted.
I feel that days when I'm most exhausted are when it's actually worse

Actually, I've heard more than one historian draw parallels with the rise of capitalism and the control of mega-corporations as a type of modern day feudalism.
Fair enough, bad example.
So actually, understanding the politics of 1042 AD is still relevant education, but you have to study history to understand that. You have to study it to know why it's still relevant to study in the first place. In my experience, most people don't bother.

In any case, someone who wants to poo-poo sociology, psychology, ethnography, anthropology, or any derivatives thereof (evolutionary psychology, cultural anthropology, etc) is not likely to find much value in the study of history, or will be able to or interested in recognizing the the effects that Judaism, Christianity, Protestantism, Puritanism, British common law, the Norman invasion, Anglo-Saxon culture, the Victorian Era, all have on our day to day lives in this country.
So I'm not sure if you meant to come across like this, but I don't particularly care for the implication that because I disagree with you, I must be woefully ignorant and uneducated on the matter. I'm quite sure I've read as much Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, etc as the next guy. My problem is with the modern day incarnations of sociology/anthropology, and only then a particular subset. In any case, I'll cut to the chase and ask you to name a few direct Christian influences on modern-day Western intellectuals. I could name at least half a dozen or so for Marx. So if your theory is correct, this shouldn't be too difficult for you. After that we can go over whatever specific examples you give.

On a side note, I'm very curious who your avatar is??? Kind of looks like Chloe Sevigny lol

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't particularly care for the implication that because I disagree with you, I must be woefully ignorant and uneducated on the matter. I'm quite sure I've read as much Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, etc as the next guy. My problem is with the modern day incarnations of sociology/anthropology, and only then a particular subset. In any case, I'll cut to the chase and ask you to name a few direct Christian influences on modern-day Western intellectuals. I could name 12 or so for Marx. So if your theory is correct, this shouldn't be too difficult for you. After that we can go over whatever specific examples you give.

On a side note, I'm very curious who is in your avatar???

League of Legends is terrible.

At the very least a similar type of hierarchy still exists, albeit based on different discriminatory variables.

Certainly relevant. I don't bother much with it anymore as I don't occupy the position of a powerful person, and therefore I don't need to bother with the oldest manuals on how to manipulate others while crushing all opposition.

Though I would say if I'm going to occupy my time reading fiction (and I do every now and again), then I may as well be reading history - I could probably get something more relevant out of it. Though I do believe fiction has its own sort of relevance. You could consider each work a hypothetical study on human psychology/sociology, and in certain cases it can function as a history lesson (i.e. Pride and Prejudice a hypothetical case study on the importance of wealth, class, and prestige during England's Regency Period).

Recognizing those effects seems like a liesure activity. If you can derive some practical use from it, then we could talk.

I am posting this message because I have realized that there are no posts on SDN about how Jesus Christ can help you attain your goals, no matter what the obstacle may be. I feel that it is very important to remember that God is in control, and he has a plan for everyone. I have found this to be evident in my own life. I spent the majority of my undergraduate career not focusing on my goal of one day becoming a physician. As a result I did not obtain the GPA that I wanted for medical school, and I received a very poor score on my MCAT. I decided after graduation that it was time to just completely put my trust in Him, for all things are possible through Jesus.

I knew that I would have to improve my MCAT score drastically in order to be considered for Medical School. So I spent the past summer studying for the MCAT, while praying to the Lord for improvement. While prayer is important, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't work hard. For those of you out there looking to score well on the MCAT make sure to devote the time and energy to really understand the concepts for the exam. Work hard and practice many questions to put yourself in the best position possible to score well. Then, once you have done your part, leave the rest to Jesus Christ.

In my case, initially I wasn't scoring well on the practice tests but I gradually improved. I worked hard for two months, studying and praying for improvement, and I slowly realized I was getting better at taking the exam. In the days leading up to the test, I was nervous, but I quelled my fears because I knew God was in charge. I put my faith in God and took the exam. I am happy to say that God has blessed me with a score of 509 on that exam. On the first MCAT I took I did absolutely terrible, scoring in the low 20s. This is a complete turnaround, and all I can do is thank God for his mercy. A 509 is higher than any score I received on all of my practice tests, so those of you who think that you can't do well on the actual exam solely based on your practice tests, trust in God! Nothing is impossible with Him. I am so happy for this blessing in my life. Although a 509 may not be the most amazing, incredible score, I know that this is the score God has provided me with and that he will use it to get me into Medical School. I know that he has a plan for me. Do your part to work hard and put your faith in God, and everything else will fall into place by the glory of Jesus Christ. I ask that you all continue to pray for me as I will be applying to Medical Schools soon. Thank you all for taking the time to read my story.
Yeah. This makes sense. Let's just disregard every other persons religious views and only cite Jesus as the chance for humanity.

Yeah. This makes sense. Let's just disregard every other persons religious views and only cite Jesus as the chance for humanity.

Hey man its been a while since I've seen you around.

We were studying for the January 2015 MCAT and were posting a bunch in the January 2015 MCAT support threads, remember?

Did you take that MCAT or did you push it back?

Hey man its been a while since I've seen you around.

We were studying for the January 2015 MCAT and were posting a bunch in the January 2015 MCAT support threads, remember?

Did you take that MCAT or did you push it back?
Hey Gandy! I remember you! How's it been?

So I studied a ton over the summer for it, and I took the August 22 date. I'll get my scores back in about 2 weeks. What about you?

Hey Gandy! I remember you! How's it been?

So I studied a ton over the summer for it, and I took the August 22 date. I'll get my scores back in about 2 weeks. What about you?

Its going alright. Ah I see. Yea I stuck with the January test and took it. At first I was initially excited to see my MCAT score improve, but then realized that it was still slightly below the MD matriculant average so that was disappointing. I think its hurting me for the MD cycle I'm going through right now as I think MD schools place a very large emphasis on stats. I currently have no Interviews from MD schools and 2 rejections/1hold.

However, the bright side is that it was enough to get me into 1 DO school thus far! So I'm relieved about that, and I'm hoping that the MD cycle turns around. Still have a a few months before I can confirm that I wasted money and time on an AMCAS application.

Anyways, I hope you get the score you want. God knows I didnt.

No, you for sure never heard of Moby Dick.

Name calling? Very un-Christian like of you, sinner.

As a Christian you should now forgive me by cleaning my feet and bringing me bread.

So basically you're everything the bible tells you you shouldn't be LOL? Can't you see how flawed your reasoning is? You're basically in it for possible handouts from Jesus via prayer and sanctuary after nature takes its course.

I'm starting to suspect you're 18 and am now regretting ever entertaining your nonsense in the first place.

You know what. You're a troll. I regret feeding you. My fault IMO.

And that, right there, is why many are so damn annoying. They're as in-your-face with their nonreligion as many hardcore religious people are with their proselytizing.
Honestly they're even worse than christians at this point. I call them evangelical atheists.

Pretty sure soon one of them will show up outside my door asking "why I believe in God or whatever"

annoying.

Its going alright. Ah I see. Yea I stuck with the January test and took it. At first I was initially excited to see my MCAT score improve, but then realized that it was still slightly below the MD matriculant average so that was disappointing. I think its hurting me for the MD cycle I'm going through right now as I think MD schools place a very large emphasis on stats. I currently have no Interviews from MD schools and 2 rejections/1hold.

However, the bright side is that it was enough to get me into 1 DO school thus far! So I'm relieved about that, and I'm hoping that the MD cycle turns around. Still have a a few months before I can confirm that I wasted money and time on an AMCAS application.

Anyways, I hope you get the score you want. God knows I didnt.
Is there any chance that you'd not matriculate into the DO school and maybe wait it out another year for maybe retaking and applying again? I'm unsure as to how it would look to schools though. But keep your head up man. You never know what can happen. What state resident are you?

Is there any chance that you'd not matriculate into the DO school and maybe wait it out another year for maybe retaking and applying again? I'm unsure as to how it would look to schools though. But keep your head up man. You never know what can happen. What state resident are you?

I'm in the Midwest, rather not say what state. its a friendly state for instaters though.

Nah no chance I would do that. I think its a really poor decision to decline DO acceptanaces if you didnt get into MD unless you were to defer. Because if you dont get into a MD program the next year, you are boned for those DO programs that you thought were worth applying to. At this point, I'm not sure I would want to do that.

I'm in the Midwest, rather not say what state. its a friendly state for instaters though.

Nah no chance I would do that. I think its a really poor decision to decline Do acceptanaces if you didnt get into MD unless you were to defer. At this point, I'm not sure I would want to do that.

Midwest ><

Indiana is the bane of my existence.

Nah no chance I would do that. I think its a really poor decision to decline DO acceptanaces if you didnt get into MD unless you were to defer. Because if you dont get into a MD program the next year, you are boned for those DO programs that you thought were worth applying to. At this point, I'm not sure I would want to do that.
Yeah. I figured it would look pretty bad. See that's the issue I'm in. If I don't have a decent mcat score, I don't want to apply with shaky stats and it scares me.

Are you significantly below the average scores for accepted MD applicants in your schools? If not, then you have a pretty good shot IMO. You just would have to wait a little longer I think

Yeah. I figured it would look pretty bad. See that's the issue I'm in. If I don't have a decent mcat score, I don't want to apply with shaky stats and it scares me.

Are you significantly below the average scores for accepted MD applicants in your schools? If not, then you have a pretty good shot IMO. You just would have to wait a little longer I think

Yea. Oh no, I'm not signficantly below. We are talking like 1-2 MCAT points below average of the median and I have a above average GPA for most of the MD schools I'm applying to. Competition is so stiff though that the 1-2 MCAT points in the 28-32 range hurt.

Yea. Oh no, I'm not signficantly below. We are talking like 1-2 MCAT points below average of the median and I have a above average GPA for most of the MD schools I'm applying to. Competition is so stiff though that the 1-2 MCAT points in the 28-32 range hurt.
Wow really? I guess I just figured that they would look at more than just the mcat score.

This thread has it all:
Jesus, the coming atheist apocalypse :laugh:, ZedsDed's dating life, a Fancy cameo, and even Gandy's app cycle!

This thread has it all:
Jesus, the coming atheist apocalypse :laugh:, ZedsDed's dating life, a Fancy cameo, and even Gandy's app cycle!
I feel like we're missing something though

oh wait:

fancy ivy league schools really are harder than directional state

now we're good

ps: affirmative action

I feel like we're missing something though

oh wait:

fancy ivy league schools really are harder than directional state

now we're good

ps: affirmative action
we're only missing offensive interview questions

also need to throw in the ubiquitous "can I wear a tan blazer blue shirt non tie and cargo pants to my interview" question

Some find comfort in giving credit to God for life's accomplishments. Even if it turns out there is no God, and all these accomplishments are of our own doing (i.e. getting into medical school because you studied, rather than divine intervention) was anything really lost believing in God or thanking any higher power for these accomplishments? So in reply to your original post, some say "Wow! I worked really hard and stuff got done. Thanks Jesus!" maybe because they truly believe in Jesus, or because there's no harm in doing so if Jesus never really did anything in the first place. Kinda the middle ground between belief and agnosticism.

A friend of ours was in financial trouble and was about to lose his house. My husband loaned him some money. He said how hard he had been praying and that he knew God would come through for him. My husband rolled his eyes. I said my husband really was a great guy, but that I thought he was perhaps, a bit over-rated in this case... o_O (Don't know if the friend ever figured out that particular remark. I know he never paid us back.)

A friend of ours was in financial trouble and was about to lose his house. My husband loaned him some money. He said how hard he had been praying and that he knew God would come through for him. My husband rolled his eyes. I said my husband really was a great guy, but that I thought he was perhaps, a bit over-rated in this case... o_O (Don't know if the friend ever figured out that particular remark. I know he never paid us back.)

It's unfortunate that your friend never repaid you. And it's equally unfortunate that some thanklessly rely on divine intervention or human assistance to get them through life. I don't like it when people know God (or others) will do something for them. Nothing in life is guaranteed.

I will always help those in need, but independence and graciousness are virtuous.

Classics were studied in the middle ages...

Atheists are stereotypically known to recognize and contest religion at every turn, not ignore it

There was some study of classics, but for the most part there was a lot more done to suppress classical ideas. I don't disagree that there was some study and preservation, my understanding it is was overwhelmingly suppressed. I reviewed the destruction of the library of Alexandria, and while there appear to be many events that involved destruction of various libraries at various times, most of it apparently by Caesar, for reasons that seem mostly accidental/political, and some controversy over claims regarding what role Muslim conquest played in destruction of works there, what does seem clear and uncontested is that Christian Emperor Theodosius ordered a pagan wipe to include destruction of the library in Alexandria in the 4th century. There are plenty of other examples of Medieval Christianity trying to throw baby with the bathwater ideas that were "pagan" by virtue of association with pre-Christian religions/cultures, despite in hindsight some of ideas being of extreme worth from biological standpoint, and not really at odds with anything in the Bible.

For example, one of the major factors leading to the Plague and the death of 1/3 of Europeans was that cats were hunted almost to extinction around that time, leading to rat overpopulation (not the only factor in the epidemic). Why the superstition against cats? Part of it was reactionary to pagan appreciation of cats. Egyptians worshipped them, and the Romans greatly admired them. They were the only animals allowed in the temples, considered the God of Liberty, and kept as mascots by the Roman army. Most Roman households had them. The rise of the house cat was historically linked to early agricultural societies that stored grain, and hence, attracted mice, to the consternation of humans, and cats, to the delight of humans. The Norse goddess Freyja was depicted as riding in a chariot drawn by cats. Romans brought the cat with them to Britain, although the cat may have already been present there. There are other examples, Eastern, of exaltation of the cat. Muslims revere cats. Where the appearance of a hatred of the cat is most clear in history, was the Christian religion, and felt to be part of the suppression of "pagan" values. The cat is not mentioned in the Bible, which could be considered a sign of disapproval, but then again nothing negative is written, and there are plenty of other species not mentioned in the Bible that were never subjected to persecution on that basis alone.

So I'm not sure if you meant to come across like this, but I don't particularly care for the implication that because I disagree with you, I must be woefully ignorant and uneducated on the matter. I'm quite sure I've read as much Noam Chomsky, Howard Zinn, etc as the next guy. My problem is with the modern day incarnations of sociology/anthropology, and only then a particular subset. In any case, I'll cut to the chase and ask you to name a few direct Christian influences on modern-day Western intellectuals. I could name at least half a dozen or so for Marx. So if your theory is correct, this shouldn't be too difficult for you. After that we can go over whatever specific examples you give.

On a side note, I'm very curious who your avatar is??? Kind of looks like Chloe Sevigny lol

My avatar is the fictional character Starbuck, from the Battlestar Galactica television show, a modern reboot of n 70's show. She's military, the best pilot in the fleet, but insubordinate, a personal train wreck, an overall screw up when she's not doing her job, and likes to **** and drink her emotional problems away, and is also religious. In some ways I'm like her, and in other ways I can't give myself that much credit, but she's unarguably a badass that I admire.

Yeah, I was being a dick to you. I've read some more back and forth between you, @StudyLater, and I see that you guys are talking more about modern philosophy and stuff. I've been watching a lot of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Xena: Warrior Princess, and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, as well as teaching one of my parents a lot about Western History while they have been visiting me and we've been watching this stuff.

I was going back to
http://www.unc.edu/courses/2008fall/hist/151/007/Outlines/1.Introduction.htm
http://www.unc.edu/courses/2008fall/hist/151/007/Outlines/2.Hebrews.htm

to talk about how there are some ideas that originated with the Hebrews, the Romans, the Christians, that are still part of our everyday bread and butter way of thinking that it would be easy to take for granted

the above links are some **** I grabbed by googling

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/archives/003380.html
I liked this exchange. This is a Catholic that was having an exchange with a Pagan Westerner.
I find myself mostly agreeing with both representations of history, and disagreeing with viewpoints at either extreme.

From the above:
"An important principle of this Christian civilization was St. Augustine’s division of the world into the City of God and the City of Man. This in turn was based on Jesus’ all-important statement, “Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s, and render unto God what is God’s.” This articulation of the world into the secular realm and the spiritual realm is a keynote of Western culture and distinguishes it from all other civilizations. It limits the power of the state over the individual, which makes it quite different from the classical civilization, where there was no inherent limit to political power and men belonged to the state. Classical citizenship was very different from modern Western (and Christian) citizenship.

Our very notion of individualism, of an inviolable individual self, is a product of Judaism and Christianity, in which God is above man and creates man and gives each person a potential value which no human power has the right to violate. This concept did not come from the classical heritage. It came from Judaism and Christianity."

Nietzsche is a philosopher I greatly admire, and really helped me to re-examine the precepts of a Judeo-Christian faith.
From the main page wikipedia titled for his name:
The "slave revolt" in morals
Main article: Master–slave morality
In Beyond Good and Evil and On the Genealogy of Morality, Nietzsche's genealogical account of the development of modern moral systems occupies central place. For Nietzsche, a fundamental shift took place during human history from thinking in terms of "good" and "bad" toward "good" and "evil".

The initial form of morality was set by a warrior aristocracy and other ruling castes of ancient civilizations. Aristocratic values of "good" and "bad" coincided with and reflected their relationship to lower castes such as slaves. Nietzsche presents this "master morality" as the original system of morality—perhaps best associated with Homeric Greece. To be "good" was to be happy and to have the things related to happiness: wealth, strength, health, power, etc. To be "bad" was to be like the slaves over which the aristocracy ruled, poor, weak, sick, pathetic—an object of pity or disgust rather than hatred.

"Slave morality" comes about as a reaction to master-morality. Here, value emerges from the contrast between good and evil: good being associated with other-worldliness, charity, piety, restraint, meekness, and submission; and evil seen as worldly, cruel, selfish, wealthy, and aggressive. Nietzsche sees slave morality as pessimistic and fearful, values for them serving only to ease the existence for those who suffer from the very same thing. He associates slave-morality with the Jewish and Christian traditions, in a way that slave-morality is born out of the ressentiment of slaves. Nietzsche argued that the idea of equality allowed slaves to overcome their own condition without hating themselves. And by denying the inherent inequality of people (such as success, strength, beauty or intelligence), slaves acquired a method of escape, namely by generating new values on the basis of rejecting something that was seen as a perceived source of frustration. It was used to overcome the slave's own sense of inferiority before the (better-off) masters. It does so by making out slave weakness to be a matter of choice, by, e.g., relabeling it as "meekness." The "good man" of master morality is precisely the "evil man" of slave morality, while the "bad man" is recast as the "good man."

Nietzsche sees the slave-morality as a source of the nihilism that has overtaken Europe. Modern Europe and Christianity exist in a hypocritical state due to a tension between master and slave morality, both values contradictorily determining, to varying degrees, the values of most Europeans (who are motley). Nietzsche calls for exceptional people to no longer be ashamed of their uniqueness in the face of a supposed morality-for-all, which he deems to be harmful to the flourishing of exceptional people. He cautions, however, that morality, per se, is not bad; it is good for the masses, and should be left to them. Exceptional people, on the other hand, should follow their own "inner law." A favorite motto of Nietzsche, taken from Pindar, reads: "Become what you are."

A long standing assumption about Nietzsche is that he preferred master over slave morality. However, the Nietzsche scholar Walter Kaufmann rejected this interpretation, writing that Nietzsche's analyses of these two types of morality were only used in a descriptive and historic sense, they were not meant for any kind of acceptance or glorifications.[100]

I'm inclined, based on what I know of the differences between Roman culture, and Hebrew culture, and agreeing with Nietzsche, is to say Western Civilization's overall nice-nice policy within our ranks stems more from Biblical values. Romans really had a "might makes right" approach to life, even amongst themselves. A discussion has occurred in the thread "Should MDs take a paycut to make healthcare more affordable" that talks about general rules for humans which come down to 1) killing and robbery are ALWAYS allowed, the question is to whom. So yes, Romans and Hebrews thought it was OK to murder outsiders and have slaves. I would just argue that Hebrew slavery had certain features associated with it that were very unique to any culture allowing slavery.
"The Torah forbids the return of runaway slaves who escape from their foreign land and their bondage and arrive in the Land of Israel. Furthermore, the Torah demands that such former slaves be treated equally to any other resident alien. This law is unique in the Ancient Near East." Torture was never officially condoned, unlike in Rome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_views_on_slavery
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_ancient_Rome

And going back to the point above,
"Our very notion of individualism, of an inviolable individual self, is a product of Judaism and Christianity, in which God is above man and creates man and gives each person a potential value which no human power has the right to violate. This concept did not come from the classical heritage. It came from Judaism and Christianity."

Basically, as the Nietzsche summary "presents this "master morality" as the original system of morality—perhaps best associated with Homeric Greece. To be "good" was to be happy and to have the things related to happiness: wealth, strength, health, power, etc. To be "bad" was to be like the slaves over which the aristocracy ruled, poor, weak, sick, pathetic—an object of pity or disgust rather than hatred."

Essentially, what I think Western Civilization owes to its monotheistic heritage is that while the rich, strong, healthy in our society would likely be better off in a pre-Biblical society, whatever limp-wristed-ness we ascribe to "slave morality" makes being an average human being, and certainly the weak, poor, widow, orphan, the most disadvantaged, better off.

Someone mentioned that likely each religion is just a reflection of its society. Point is, while in the East, without as strong an influence of Judeo-Christian mores, there has still been evolution of socialism, and without Darwin we would still have someone else to thank for the theory of evolution and what advances in human conditions as a result, whatever is the "historical" origin of something, still gets some credit in the historical record.

I'm a huge fan of soft sciences.

My education is actually lacking a lot more from World War 2 beyond. I know more about Latin America from that point on than I do about US or modern history/philosophy.

At the very least a similar type of hierarchy still exists, albeit based on different discriminatory variables.

Certainly relevant. I don't bother much with it anymore as I don't occupy the position of a powerful person, and therefore I don't need to bother with the oldest manuals on how to manipulate others while crushing all opposition.

Though I would say if I'm going to occupy my time reading fiction (and I do every now and again), then I may as well be reading history - I could probably get something more relevant out of it. Though I do believe fiction has its own sort of relevance. You could consider each work a hypothetical study on human psychology/sociology, and in certain cases it can function as a history lesson (i.e. Pride and Prejudice a hypothetical case study on the importance of wealth, class, and prestige during England's Regency Period).

Recognizing those effects seems like a liesure activity. If you can derive some practical use from it, then we could talk.

**** man, everything I just wrote was some form of mental masturbation.

Naw, I'm trying to make a point that I somehow read Daniel Dennett's book "Breaking the Spell:Religion as a Natural Phenomenon", Nietzsche, and all the rest of it, and I can't say I disagree with any atheist argument in particular, except that I still believe that we can't say that there hasn't been positive contributions to society from the dissemination of religious concepts if we look at all of what we know of human history.

Has it outgrown its usefulness? Is it holding us back now?

Like any idea or concept or guiding principle or anything, humans are adaptive creatures, and anything we're using to adapt has to be updated and discarded and evolved.

Personally, I think that magical thinking is not likely to ever go away completely. I have read and like a lot of the neuroscience around how our brains process chance, reward, statistics, game theory, optimism, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

(wikipedia article "futile medical care"
In a study of patients so severely burned that survival was clinically unprecedented, during the initial lucid period (before sepsis and other complications set in) patients were told that survival was extremely unlikely (i.e., that death was essentially inevitable) and were asked to choose between palliative care and aggressive clinical measures. Most chose aggressive clinical measures, which may suggest that the will to live in patients can be very strong even situations deemed hopeless by the clinician.[citation needed])

Clinging to life in the face of any odds? Likely easier from an evolutionary standpoint to program and maintain in the individual than more nuanced approaches, and I subscribe to the idea that ideas are being generated and changes generated in advance of our brain's ability to fully process. This all gets more difficult when you get into evolutionary theories about groups and not at the individual level.

my favorite:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_bias

First rule of becoming a physician:
An acceptance in hand is worth.....
Killing anyone hiding in a bush, even if it turns out to be your own mother?

I'm not explaining that well, but do some reading on med school acceptances, and get that it is almost never worth giving up an acceptance to a US MD or DO slot, because you may never get another one again, and mathematically speaking overall first round acceptances are easier to get than second round acceptances if the only real difference between the two is one year's time (no substantial change in MCAT, GPA) because some institutions may put you higher on the pile as a re-applicant, most don't, so overall effect is that first-time app is likely to be your best shot unless something changes greatly in one year, or if more than year, again, what does your app show in the time between first app and second app? Graduation from Bachelor's and matriculation? how does that stack up for you vs passaage of time

Grad of any US DO or MD school, be it Harvard or ****-Hole Nowhere = Doctor For Sure