I know many people ask (and i'm sorry) but what are my chances/choices?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M__

M Kweik
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i know many people ask and i did search the forum but i also wanted to ask to see if i can get an honest opinion about my self. I have a pretty low GPA right now but i still have 1 more year ahead of me and i was wondering what I'm looking at.

Current GPA: 2.7
Science GPA: 2.5ish probably
MCAT: Have not taken

Again i still have a year ahead of me and i plan to work a lot less then my usual 30 hour a week work schedule and i plan to do research and more volunteering. With the stats above what are my chances of getting into a US med school if any (if it matters i live in Ohio) ... If i have no hope of getting into a us med school what are my chances of getting into a foreign med school. I really hope someone can give me a little bit of hope if possible i really I'm a very bright person and I'm very dedicated but i worked too much to handle my bills and it hurt my grades a lot. But thank you guys for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Some DO school maybe, but in the mean time just work your butt off and see where it takes you. 2.5 science GPA will hurt, I have a few friends in this sort of situation and having a job at the sametime really bites. Good luck to you, just remember to keep your head up. Things aren't great now, but you have a year left to make the best out of it. :)

Your MCAT scores will probably help everyone figure out your odds a lot better. Unfortunately, based just on your GPA, you will have a hard time getting into most US programs and foreign schools might be tough too (though I have no idea what their cut offs are). If you don't get accepted this year, then I would recommend going into a graduate program and bringing up your GPA and kill the MCAT. Your odds will improve significantly. You said that you had one year left so are you going into your senior year now? If so, your last year grades don't make that much of an impact in the acceptance process so 2.5 will hurt a lot. You will also have to explain to ADCOMs later about why you had a low GPA in undergraduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second that MCAT scores will help give a better picture of your chances. However, if you could bring up your GPA to above a 3.0 and get a decent score on the MCAT (approx. 30 or more, and assuming you have some good ECs), I think you would have a good shot at getting into a US med school. Of course, you would have to explain in your personal statement how you worked 30 hours while taking classes, and how that might have affected your GPA. If all else fails, take some post-bacc classes to boost your GPA.

you would need to get a very competitive mcat score (34+) if you wanted to get into a us med school. also, try to increase your overall gpa to 3.0, then you will have a much better chance. if all else fails, do post-bacc OR special masters program.

Work hard on raising that g.p.a. Many schools screen and a 2.5 will send your app to the dumpster at almost all schools I can think of. A 3.0 would help to get your app looked at.

One more year isn't much. You have a significant amount of inertia at this point due to the number of hours you have with that 2.5 science.

I would say your chances are slim, but med schools are unpredictable. The most important things you can do are make good grades your last semester (show an upward trend) and rock the MCAT.

The first thing you need to do is bring up your GPA through a postbac program or SMP program. Talk to adcom directors nearby to find out what may be a good course of action, as well as advisors or students who may know.

Second, you must do extremely well on the MCAT. I mean 33+ at the least.

If you can get 3.5+ but more like 3.8+ postbac and 33+ MCAT, you might have a decent shot.

And don't take the MCAT until you are fully ready to do so.

SkylineMD said:
...You said that you had one year left so are you going into your senior year now? If so, your last year grades don't make that much of an impact in the acceptance process so 2.5 will hurt a lot. You will also have to explain to ADCOMs later about why you had a low GPA in undergraduate.

How come your last grades dont make an impact in the acceptance process? is that assuming the OP is applying to go to med school right after college...?

goldfish85 said:
How come your last grades dont make an impact in the acceptance process? is that assuming the OP is applying to go to med school right after college...?
They do, but with three years of accumulated bad grades, one year of good grades won't be able to make a significant difference in the overall GPA.

i just want to thank everyone for all there input....what i basically get from this is that i have a very slim chance but if i do very very very well on my MCAT and show some improvment this last year i may able to get in to a us med school....are foriegn med schools really that bad i mean if i get accpeted into one of those should i go or should i keep trying to get into us med schools? i really hope this doesnt bother anyone and i dont know if this matters at all but i mean i will take anything that helps me but i am considered a minorty i mean i have lived all my life in the us but im still considered a minorty and i dunno if that helps my chances at all....again i wanna thank everyone and i want to encourge further input cuase i really do want to become a doctor.

like everyone said, do your best to raise that GPA with stellar senior grades. Try to filter out what is unnecessary in your life; what might be distracting you from your studies. Look for tutors, review guides, etc. to help boost your understanding and learning speed. If you truly want to be a medical doctor, try doctor shadowing and showing interest in medicine through your ECs.

don't just plan to do these things. DO them. I know how hard it is to travel the road of failure and then have to redeem yourself, you really have to put in time and extreme discipline to accomplish your goal.

Check out the Postbacc forum for more information on your options after graduation, in case you decide to try a longer route for improving your credentials. I went through the Boston University special master's program. Feel free to PM me if you want some info.

If you want a US MD program this is what I recommend:

Besides the obvious recommendatio to get fantastic grades during your last year of undergrad, I suggest you take some time off after undergrad and work for a couple of years. If possible focus on nothing but academics this coming year and don't worry about ECs and the MCAT. Get your study habits in line and learn how to manage your time ...you will need these skills in med school. Try to cut back your work hours as much as financially possible.

After undergrad, find a job. Something in medicine is not necessary, but you may find it more interesting. Work for a few years and save up some money. In your spare time...volunteer and get some really great ECs. Another option is Peace Corp or other international work. Keep taking classes to help build your gpa, but don't over extend yourself.

Take a year off to do a post-bacc or masters program and take the MCAT.

DO programs may consider a slightly lower gpa for acceptance, but they are still quite competitive. Foreign MD schools range from good to bad and require some serious research before making a commitment.

check the sticky at the very top of the forum ^^

M__ said:
i just want to thank everyone for all there input....what i basically get from this is that i have a very slim chance but if i do very very very well on my MCAT and show some improvment this last year i may able to get in to a us med school....are foriegn med schools really that bad i mean if i get accpeted into one of those should i go or should i keep trying to get into us med schools? i really hope this doesnt bother anyone and i dont know if this matters at all but i mean i will take anything that helps me but i am considered a minorty i mean i have lived all my life in the us but im still considered a minorty and i dunno if that helps my chances at all....again i wanna thank everyone and i want to encourge further input cuase i really do want to become a doctor.

What kind of minority? There are groups that are minorities in the U.S., but not in medical school, such as most Asian groups. African Americans, Native American Indians, and Hispanics may receive some preference in medical school admissions.

MoosePilot said:
What kind of minority? There are groups that are minorities in the U.S., but not in medical school, such as most Asian groups. African Americans, Native American Indians, and Hispanics may receive some preference in medical school admissions.

I believe within "Hispanic", applications from Mexican-Americans and Puerto-Ricans are strongly encouraged.

crazy_cavalier said:
I believe within "Hispanic", applications from Mexican-Americans and Puerto-Ricans are strongly encouraged.

Hmmmm... did I use the wrong terminology somehow? It changes so often that I can't keep up.

MoosePilot said:
Hmmmm... did I use the wrong terminology somehow? It changes so often that I can't keep up.

Yup, the only latin americans/hispanic people that are considered minorities are Puerto ricans and mexicans.

Cubans, Dominican Republicans, South Americans, etc are in no way considered minorities, unless they have native american blood or are part african american as well.

gujuDoc said:
Yup, the only latin americans/hispanic people that are considered minorities are Puerto ricans and mexicans.

Cubans, Dominican Republicans, South Americans, etc are in no way considered minorities, unless they have native american blood or are part african american as well.

It confuses the heck out of me. As I understand what distinguishes "Mexicans" from "Spanish" (as far as their descendents go) is full or partial descent from Central and South American Indians. So what is the difference between someone with Mexican descent and someone with South American descent? The whole thing seems random.

M__ said:

There is nothing wrong with foreign medical schools. It is still possible to match into a very very competitive field such as ortho or derm from foreign schools. However, you are going to be competing against MDs and DO from US schools and you might not get much preference over them (in fact, you will probably get passed over one of the US school graduates). Some programs also don't even bother with foreign med graduates. This shouldn't stop you from going to a foreign school though. In the end, you will still be a doctor.

Also, I had stated earlier that your last grades might not count for much because the admissions committee's are going to wonder why you did bad for the first 3 years and one year of great grades won't help you redeem yourself in their opinion. Adcoms can be quite vicious so I don't mean that as an insult. I just wanted to give the brutal view that they might not care what situations you were dealing with. Just don't give up on your dream. If you want to be a doctor, you can still do it.

gujuDoc said:

As regards Puerto Ricans it's only mainland Puerto Ricans, i.e.; Puerto Ricans living in the US who moved to here from PR. If you are actually from Puerto Rico and grew up/ went to school in PR, you don't get any special consideration.