I know pharmacists make around apx100 grand but how much profit for Owner? (Avg)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Th3Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know pharmacists make around apx100 grand but how much profit for Owner? (Avg)

In other words, how much profit does a pharmacy make? average..

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine that question can't really get a straight answer. Its really going to vary cause there are a million factors that go into establishing a private pharmacy. As an owner you are putting a lot of money into the pharmacy and profit is completely based on the amount of clientele you have. And I think it goes without saying that you aren't going to get a million customers the second you open yours doors, so in the beginning expect to make less than the average pharmacist if you open your own place. You aren't going to make crappy money or anything but you aren't going to be up in the 100's. Then again, that is up to the owner. You get to choose where you allocate your money, so while some would rather have more money for drugs and such, others might want more money for paychecks instead. I currently work in a privately owned pharmacy and I know the two pharmacists that own the place under pay themselves (but not the techs and clerks, which is cool) cause their priority is to make sure their business succeeds.

That and the risk that a CVS or another big chain pharmacy opening a block away

Members don't see this ad :)
haha yeah. And even if you survive with the new neighbor, the company will call like once a week to ask if they can buy you off. bastards!

haha yeah. And even if you survive with the new neighbor, the company will call like once a week to ask if they can buy you off. bastards!

And you hit the nail on the head on that one. If you are interested in the money of opening your own pharmacy than you might want to think about the long term decision to sell your records to a company like Walgreens/CVS/RiteAid. Lots of independetly owned pharmacists/owners make their money when they sell out to the bigger guy. It may be a hard pill to swallow for most, but most independently owned pharmacies won't last very long if they find that their stores are profitable. This is because large chains are always on the lookout for pre-established pharmacies that they can just buyout and employ their workers.

If you want to own your own pharmacy, check out the NCPA website. It's the national organization that is for independent pharmacy. You have to come up with some kind of niche to survive even right next door to one of the big chains. Compounding is probably one of the easier things to do. I work at an independent that has the largest compounding lab in the city and most of what we do is BHRT. You also have to offer delivery service, for a fee of course to cover costs, because the big guys won't go there just yet.

Unfortunately, the niche now and days is having a drive thru, getting prescriptions in less than 5 minutes, and being open 365 days a year. If you can do that as an independently owned pharmacy than by all means find a corner lot and get it started.

The whole no holiday for pharmacy has gotten out of hand. The pharmacist that I work with was furious when he found out that CVS is open on Christmas now.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Nothing should be open on New Year's, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

I mean, if people can't remember to refill their prescriptions before a holiday is coming, maybe they were meant to be eliminated from the human gene pool.

The whole no holiday for pharmacy has gotten out of hand. The pharmacist that I work with was furious when he found out that CVS is open on Christmas now.

Are you ****ing kidding me? Nothing should be open on New Year's, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

I mean, if people can't remember to refill their prescriptions before a holiday is coming, maybe they were meant to be eliminated from the human gene pool.
This post is just plain silly. Illness knows no holiday.

I can assure you that the amount of injuries rises during holidays. Think of all the times that people find themselves severly burned deep frying their thanksgiving turkey.

Sparda, I'm pretty sure you know the order of events in a typical hospitalization. They are triaged, see the doctor, doctor diagnoses, doctor then writes prescription, patient then takes prescription to pharmacy to be filled. We are the last part of the process.

4 times the amount to work on a holiday? I'm happy with $80 an hour for holiday pay.

Sparda, I'm pretty sure you know the order of events in a typical hospitalization. They are triaged, see the doctor, doctor diagnoses, doctor then writes prescription, patient then takes prescription to pharmacy to be filled. We are the last part of the process.

4 times the amount to work on a holiday? I'm happy with $80 an hour for holiday pay.

Hospitals have pharmacies too.

We have been saying this a lot to patients when they come in with no refills on a weekend "it's not gonna kill you to wait 2 days".

I hate how it's okay to bother the pharmacist, but when we tell them to call their doctor's emergency line, they say, "but that's only for emergencies".

The hospitals definitely have all the prescriptions that are needed STAT, if not have a better chance of getting them in if they are out of stock.

Not to mention, there are 24 hour pharmacies out there too. No need for every damn store in the chain to be open.

If the company wants to do that, then they better find floaters who have no lives.

So let's talk about that burn.

Let's see, go to the hospital, cool and clean the wound, apply bandages, give them some morphine and a weeks supply of bandages, neosporin, send them home. If it gets worse, then perhaps some more painkillers and oral antibiotics.

Members don't see this ad :)

We have been saying this a lot to patients when they come in with no refills on a weekend "it's not gonna kill you to wait 2 days".

I hate how it's okay to bother the pharmacist, but when we tell them to call their doctor's emergency line, they say, "but that's only for emergencies".

The hospitals definitely have all the prescriptions that are needed STAT, if not have a better chance of getting them in if they are out of stock.

Not to mention, there are 24 hour pharmacies out there too. No need for every damn store in the chain to be open.

If the company wants to do that, then they better find floaters who have no lives.

Let's see, go to the hospital, cool and clean the wound, apply bandages, give them some morphine and a weeks supply of bandages, neosporin, send them home. If it gets worse, then perhaps some more painkillers and oral antibiotics.

The big chains are all about convenience, whether it is a drive through or whether they are open 24 hours. Independent pharmacies can't compete with that, therefore, they tend to offer "more personalized" services like 24 hour on call or home delivery.

You need to wake up from your fantasy. You think just because you don't get injured on a holiday, doesn't mean pharmacies shouldn't offer their services to other people? If you have a baby with a fever at 3 am, who are you going to call? Seriously, grow up and look around you. You are aware CVS, and Walgreens are number one and two because they have 24 hour pharmacies on every block in every major city, and its not because they are "low price" leaders. Hospitals do have pharmacies, but have you ever waited at a hospital pharmacy after you left ER??? You want to wait for hours on end, especially if you just released because you were in a car wreck? Yeah right, lets go back to ER and get more painkillers and antibiotics........

Who are you to dictate who will work for and what. You are aware if you continue to work for CVS or Walgreens as a recently graduating phramd, you are pretty much guaranteed to FLOAT if you want a job in the major cities. If you work for a unionized hospital, you probably will end up doing graveyard. You can cry about how unfair that is, but thats the way the world turns. If you don't like it, go write to your big boss at CVS. I'm sure they would LOVE to hear what your business plans for them are.

Lastly, since you like to ridicule people who don't prepare for emergencies over the holidays, have you ever read any of your own posts, or even tried to comprehend what people are saying to you? Yeah, talk about a waste of the human gene pool...

lol, i feel for them. I give them that 500 ml jar whenever I'm at liberty to give it to them. The pharmacists don't seem to mind.

Now for everyone else its plan B, and zovirax after the holidays :laugh:

By who, do you mean the guy or the girl? I would say it depends on if it was drunken monkey sex and nobody remembers, meaning the girl would be doing it just as a precaution. If both parties know about it, I would say either one, whomever can get it the earliest. And then, the both of them need to stop by the condom aisle or see a MD for birth control so it doesn't happen again.

If I have a baby with a fever at 3AM I call the pediatrician not the pharmacist.

Listen, I have no problem with having 10-20 24 hour stores.

The problem I do have is when all the stores are open on the holidays and they don't have the floaters to cover all the stores, thus the regular staff ends up working.

My problem with the 24 hour service thing is not just with pharmacies.

Sparda please don't tell me you have a problem with 24 hour dennys or wafflehouse.

That's pretty funny. But if you had been to a Dennys you would agree that 24 hour establishments are necessary in some cases and Dennys proves it. I don't know about you but I need a place that serves coffee after hours to study.

Hospital pharmacy are, AS THE NAME SAYS, cater to hospital patient needs. They don't carry out patient prescriptions and you know how much bull**** you have to go through to expand in a hospital... :rolleyes:

But seriously, except 24 hour pharmacies, when did walgreens start opening at christmas? Even if they are then they open for reduced hours...

Drug stores opening on holidays is not as bad as some make it seem bc if you do work then you make time and a half so around $75 an hour is beyond sweet plus you have the next day to do things with the family or heck if you're a smart ass you will work early in the morning and get the rest of the day off :D. Let's say u work 8 hours on a holiday that comes out to $600 plus if you're lucky you can leave around 4 pm and forget uncle sam for now haha.