md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Anyway, I'm planning to take my MCAT Sept. 12th (or latest by the 23rd). I know this is incredibly late and I know that a gap year is in order. However, I'm wondering if I could take a gamble and apply to say ~5 low-tier or state schools even though I'd be complete in mid-October. I've heard about people taking such risks and gaining an acceptance, so I just wanted to know if I should try this out. If so, I can submit my primary on Sept. 13th and get verified before scores come out.
No.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
What's so wrong with a gap year?
Just embrace it and do something great with your year off.
With the average of matriculants approaching 25, you're definitely not failing the pre-med timeline.

Don't apply this year. Just don't.

HybridEarth

2+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I know how you feel, especially since I am one of those extremely stubborn people that didn't like the idea of delaying my education. I'm 3 months into my gap year and it was the best decision I've ever made in my life.

Reactions: DokterMom and Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Apply once, with the best possible app, even if it means skipping an app cycle.

Apply late to gyngyn's school most likely means a rejection.

That rejection means you won't get another chance at his school.

I've pretty much almost accepted the fact that I will need a gap year. This is not what I originally planned, and it hurts a bit to feel like I've failed the pre-med timeline :( but there's nothing I can do about that now…

Anyway, I'm planning to take my MCAT Sept. 12th (or latest by the 23rd). I know this is incredibly late and I know that a gap year is in order. However, I'm wondering if I could take a gamble and apply to say ~5 low-tier or state schools even though I'd be complete in mid-October. I've heard about people taking such risks and gaining an acceptance, so I just wanted to know if I should try this out. If so, I can submit my primary on Sept. 13th and get verified before scores come out.

I'd love to hear what SDN has to say. Should I apply this way? Pros/Cons?

Here's some info. about me to help:

Large public state school ranked 140-150 (it does not have a med school)
I am also a transfer student.
B.S. in Neuroscience

VA resident

Scores:

MCAT: have to take
GPA: 3.8 (shows upward trend)
sGPA: 3.74 (shows strong upward trend)

Clinical Experience:
-Shadowing (200 hours): Peds, IM (shadowed twice), Cardiology observership at rural hospital (1 week), Sleep Medicine
-participated in suturing and laparoscopy labs through school
-Seasons Hospice music companion volunteer (30 hrs.)

Research:
-Neuroscience internship at major hospital (1 year as a junior, received a $5000 grant to continue this summer) - lab research
-Pediatric clinical research at JHU School of Medicine (2 posters, 1st-author abstract in major journal, presented work at major national conference)

Volunteering/Community Service:
-Volunteering with disabled kids- every week (~1.5 years)
-Habitat for Humanity (through my undergraduate school)
-Tutoring for underprivileged kids (1 semester - every week)

Leadership:

-Habitat for Humanity Global Village & Public Relations Coordinator (1 year, but honestly didn't do much due to our president quitting mid-way - I'm going to have to play this up :unsure:)
-Received a leadership certificate freshman year
-Student Ambassador for my undergrad college (1 semester - 30 hrs.)
-Music Coordinator for Asian association at school (1 semester)

Other Employment:
-Employed as a private tutor (1 year)- taught 7th grade Math and English
-Physics TA (1 semester - 1oh/week)

Academic Honors:
-Golden Key Academic Distinction
-Tau Sigma Award
-Dean's List - all semester starting from Fall 2013

Other Activities:
-Learning Asian classical music (can sing in 9 different languages)
-Swimming (as a hobby - not competitive)

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
I know how you feel, especially since I am one of those extremely stubborn people that didn't like the idea of delaying my education. I'm 3 months into my gap year and it was the best decision I've ever made in my life.
Quoted for truth --
I don't think I've ever read here that someone who took a gap year then regretted it.

Don't hurt your eventual chances by applying before you're ready. If your MCAT isn't where you need it to be, you may need your best shot at those low-tier state schools. Don't handicap that chance by submitting less-than-your-best now.

And re-read your own headline: "I know this is a bad idea"

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
You should be applying in the next cycle. And this isn't a hard decision.

Reactions: Goro

Doctoblast

2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
A lot of people I know have told me that they look back and are really glad they ended up taking a gap year. Likewise, I also know people who did not take a gap year who say that they wish that they would have to be able to relax/travel/enjoy life before med school. Take the gap year and apply with your best app next cycle!

Reactions: jb94mg and Goro
OP
G

Gladiolus23

5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Think of it as a low-yield waste of money and time that puts you at a disadvantage at those schools next year.
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Apply once, with the best possible app, even if it means skipping an app cycle.

Apply late to gyngyn's school most likely means a rejection.

That rejection means you won't get another chance at his school.
Would this still be low-yield if I applied to my state school that interviews 50% of in-state applicants? Also, do a lot of schools automatically reject you like that; if you've already been rejected once?? Any idea if that's how VCU/EVMS/UVA work?

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
So does failing the premed timeline include not getting acceptances your first application cycle? Honestly I never even knew there was a thing as failing the premed timeline. The only failure involved is not getting accepted to a med school. Of course you can do what you want but keep in mind you really only want to apply once with the best possible application possible.

carpediem22

2+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I don't understand why more people don't take gap years willingly. I decided in freshman year that I wanted to take a gap year, not because I was a weak applicant (and I still am not) but because I wanted to take my time and discover who I was before jumping into med school. Here I am four years later, about to spend one whole year on the other side of the world -- to do research, but more importantly to LIVE! You have your whole life ahead of you to study and practice medicine, this is your chance to see the world and do something awesome.

Gap years for the win! :horns:

P.s. You still have time to apply for many of the national fellowships. Go go go!

Reactions: mcatjelly and Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I don't know what the VA schools do.

But based upon posted from successful SDNers, there are schools that seem to accept reapplicants once they've fixed deficits....like adding clinical volunteering hours, or more importantly, applying early in the subsequent cycle.

I'm NOT going to tell you what you want to hear.

Apply once, with the best possible app, even if it means skipping a cycle.

Would this still be low-yield if I applied to my state school that interviews 50% of in-state applicants? Also, do a lot of schools automatically reject you like that; if you've already been rejected once?? Any idea if that's how VCU/EVMS/UVA work?