I know this is a pharmacy thread, I'm in pre-pharmacy but just wondering...

Started by ATmN 09
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ATmN 09

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if any of you have gotten into a pharmacy school with low grades (2.5, several repeated courses) until you brought it up. I have a 2.5 gpa right now and several classes taht I have to repeat because I did poorly my first and second year😳. I didn't know I was going to be interested in pharmacy at the time but I have been making much better grades this past year and just realized how competive pharmacy is. I haven't taken any science/math classes so I can at least start off a clean gpa. This fall is my fourth year and I'm planning to apply next year, fall 2010. If my final gpa is a 3.1-3.3, do you think I have a chance given that my average was so low in the beginning?
I would really appreciate any answers/comments/advice from anyone that can somehow relate. Thanks!
 
if any of you have gotten into a pharmacy school with low grades (2.5, several repeated courses) until you brought it up. I have a 2.5 gpa right now and several classes taht I have to repeat because I did poorly my first and second year😳. I didn't know I was going to be interested in pharmacy at the time but I have been making much better grades this past year and just realized how competive pharmacy is. I haven't taken any science/math classes so I can at least start off a clean gpa. This fall is my fourth year and I'm planning to apply next year, fall 2010. If my final gpa is a 3.1-3.3, do you think I have a chance given that my average was so low in the beginning?
I would really appreciate any answers/comments/advice from anyone that can somehow relate. Thanks!

If you have not taken any science/math courses you have awhile to go. You need:
Gen chem 1,2
Orgo 1,2
Anatomy
Various biology/Biochem
Calc maybe calc 2
Various other courses.

If you can do well in those courses A's/B's then yea you are fine. Make sure you do well on the PCAT. Also, you will prolly get more help in the Pre-Pharm section since there are literally a billion threads with people in similar situations.
 
you usually need at least 3.3 to have a chance of getting accepted (along with other competitive applicants). typically, the average gpa is 3.6 or higher. as for the pcat, the average is usually 75 percentile or higher.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you usually need at least 3.3 to have a chance of getting accepted (along with other competitive applicants). typically, the average gpa is 3.6 or higher. as for the pcat, the average is usually 75 percentile or higher.
Oh, really? So with his projected 3.1, the OP does not have a chance of acceptance? Are you on the admissions committee of any pharmacy school?

OP, you can get into pharmacy school with your GPA, but you will have a harder time doing so than someone with better grades. Good numbers help an application, but they are not the only things that admissions committees look for. As you've have pointed out, your GPA is low, so if you can compensate for it with a high PCAT it would indicate that your grades are not reflective of your academic ability, and you will have the time to explain the grades on any interviews you get.

And yes, you will find better and more comprehensive answers to the questions you're asking in the WAMC (what are my chances?) subforum in the prepharm area.
 
Strong PCAT score, highly improved grade trend, strong LoR's, and good PS will help. Apply early at many schools to increase your chances of landing an interview. I believe there are lots of threads on this topic if you use the search function.
 
if any of you have gotten into a pharmacy school with low grades (2.5, several repeated courses) until you brought it up. I have a 2.5 gpa right now and several classes taht I have to repeat because I did poorly my first and second year😳. I didn't know I was going to be interested in pharmacy at the time but I have been making much better grades this past year and just realized how competive pharmacy is. I haven't taken any science/math classes so I can at least start off a clean gpa. This fall is my fourth year and I'm planning to apply next year, fall 2010. If my final gpa is a 3.1-3.3, do you think I have a chance given that my average was so low in the beginning?
I would really appreciate any answers/comments/advice from anyone that can somehow relate. Thanks!

I think your chances are slim to none. The problem is you have a 2.5 GPA in non-math and science classes which indicates you can't handle basic college work. If you can't pass Intro Psych and English 101, you don't stand a chance in Organic Chem and Calc. II. Sounds like you are on the 6-year undergrad track if you have to retake your entire first and second years. Consider another field.
 
I think your chances are slim to none. The problem is you have a 2.5 GPA in non-math and science classes which indicates you can't handle basic college work. If you can't pass Intro Psych and English 101, you don't stand a chance in Organic Chem and Calc. II. Sounds like you are on the 6-year undergrad track if you have to retake your entire first and second years. Consider another field.

You should post more. I love that avatar makes me laugh everytime. The movies are hilarious
 
If you post a consistent 3.5+ in the last two years of your undergrad, you can feign "freshman folly" and probably get an in.

But rarely do students do this...if you started at 2.5, chances are with hard work you'll end up with a 2.7; so you better find religion and turn into a 3.5+ consistent student or you won't have a chance.