I know this topic has been brought up before...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotYY4U

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal.

My degree is a Bachelor of SCIENCE in Psychology so I have many classes that are of the PSYCxxxx classification, however they were heavily science and neuro/endocrine based (mechanism of neurotransmitter reuptake and hormone function for example was in far greater detail than any of my bio or physio classes). I know AACOMAS allows you sort your own sGPA classes and they will correct if necessary.

What should I do in this case because, yup, you guessed, my sGPA sky rockets with some of those classes included.

Constructive criticism/advice is more than welcome.

Hope everyone is doing well with finals, interviews, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

They only allow you to classify the course under discipline right? Not science vs non-science? If so, go by the actual name of the class more than the psych course classification if that makes sense. I fell into this same thing having been a health sciences major. SO for example one of my classes was HSC398 Hematology II. I classified this under hematology instead of health sciences, and it was counted towards sGPA. You may luck out and have some of these fall under your sGPA.

Last edited:
Here's the deal.

My degree is a Bachelor of SCIENCE in Psychology so I have many classes that are of the PSYCxxxx classification, however they were heavily science and neuro/endocrine based (mechanism of neurotransmitter reuptake and hormone function for example was in far greater detail than any of my bio or physio classes). I know AACOMAS allows you sort your own sGPA classes and they will correct if necessary.

What should I do in this case because, yup, you guessed, my sGPA sky rockets with some of those classes included.

Constructive criticism/advice is more than welcome.

Hope everyone is doing well with finals, interviews, etc.
you can't generalize over all courses. They should be looked over on individuals basis based on course content and description.

you can share couple over here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok Ill post a few, I just remember reading somewhere (probably SDN) that if it does not have BIOL, CHEM or PHYS in it, it will not be accepted, no exceptions.

Neuropsychology for example was even taught by a Ph.D from a medical school and had more neuro anatomy and function than any other class I have taken.

1.) Neuropsychology - Brain organization and function and its relationship to human memory, language, perception, and other cognitive abilities. Covers the application of clinical neuropsychology to working with individuals that have neurological disorders

2.) Behavioral Neuroscience - The morphological, neurochemical and physiological bases of behavior. Emphasis is on structure and function of the brain.

3.) Biological Basis of Behavior - Introduces the biological basis of behavior. This course will feature concepts like neurons, synaptic and hormonal transmission, and physiological set-points. Behavior of simple (invertebrate) and complex organisms (vertebrates) will be related to the activity of specific brain neural networks.

These were really the 3 I was considering were science classes in nature, I'm not going to be ridiculous and try to make a case about something like social psychology, positive psychology or gender psychology etc.

Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited:
Bumping this one back up, sorry

My understanding of what AACOMAS does is that even though the course itself may be science rich, if it's listed as a Psych course, it's not BCPM. bets to ask AACOMAS

Reactions: 1 users
My understanding of what AACOMAS does is that even though the course itself may be science rich, if it's listed as a Psych course, it's not BCPM. bets to ask AACOMAS

Thanks Goro. That's what I THOUGHT too, yet I have been hearing stories about class X not being a BIOL, CHEM or PHYS and still counting towards BCPM. If I do decide to try and enter 3 of these classes would there be any repercussions you know of? Other than not counting towards my sGPA obviously.

In the end it may be best just to contact AACOMAS as you mentioned.

I realize I am replying and posting to myself at this point lol but according to AACOMAS website it looks like 2 of the classes may fall somewhere between what is considered science and what is not. I am going to include them I decided, I doubt I will get into trouble other than "These classes will not be counted towards your sGPA"

Ok Ill post a few, I just remember reading somewhere (probably SDN) that if it does not have BIOL, CHEM or PHYS in it, it will not be accepted, no exceptions.

Neuropsychology for example was even taught by a Ph.D from a medical school and had more neuro anatomy and function than any other class I have taken.

1.) Neuropsychology - Brain organization and function and its relationship to human memory, language, perception, and other cognitive abilities. Covers the application of clinical neuropsychology to working with individuals that have neurological disorders

2.) Behavioral Neuroscience - The morphological, neurochemical and physiological bases of behavior. Emphasis is on structure and function of the brain.

3.) Biological Basis of Behavior - Introduces the biological basis of behavior. This course will feature concepts like neurons, synaptic and hormonal transmission, and physiological set-points. Behavior of simple (invertebrate) and complex organisms (vertebrates) will be related to the activity of specific brain neural networks.

These were really the 3 I was considering were science classes in nature, I'm not going to be ridiculous and try to make a case about something like social psychology, positive psychology or gender psychology etc.

Thanks everyone!!!
I have seen some psychology courses that are science heavy, but these are 50/50. Best to ask AACOMAS. I can see them count as simply psychology courses. The last one appears to have more science content - neurons, synaptic and hormonal transmission, physiological set-points, and behavior related to physiological activities.

Others, not so much.

I have seen some psychology courses that are science heavy, but these are 50/50. Best to ask AACOMAS. I can see them count as simply psychology courses. The last one appears to have more science content - neurons, synaptic and hormonal transmission, physiological set-points, and behavior related to physiological activities.

Others, not so much.
Thanks for the advice. The 2nd class I listed was actually the most science based!!! I figured I will list them and see what happens, if they are recognized that would be great. If not, it is what it is.

Reactions: 1 user
Other health science courses such as kinesiology are still counted correct??

Edit: If you google Aacomas science gpa, the first link should direct you to a list of accepted science courses.

you might have some luck listing a few as science. I had a few courses in education that I listed under teaching science as science was in the name that counted

I put Psych classes that were heavy on Biology as Biology classes and they were approved by AAMC.

Other health science courses such as kinesiology are still counted correct??

Edit: If you google Aacomas science gpa, the first link should direct you to a list of accepted science courses.
No. They are generally considered non-science courses, as they fall under the allied health umbrella most often. Like, my cardiopulmonary anatomy and physiology courses were considered non-science, despite being far more rigorous than my medical school education in regard to those very topics.

No. They are generally considered non-science courses, as they fall under the allied health umbrella most often. Like, my cardiopulmonary anatomy and physiology courses were considered non-science, despite being far more rigorous than my medical school education in regard to those very topics.

That to me is absolutely ridiculous

The general consensus appears to be that classes are taken on a class-by-class basis and some luck out and some don't...

That to me is absolutely ridiculous

The general consensus appears to be that classes are taken on a class-by-class basis and some luck out and some don't...
I mean, it was a real non-issue for me so I didn't care, my uGPA/sGPA was 3.81/3.79. But I'd imagine it can get messy in certain situations.