I know your tired of these

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeatmonkey

Wannabe Slacker
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading SDN for a while now, but have never poster (lurker) And I am sure you are really tired of reading this. But Im trying to decide if I should do some graduate work before I apply. Heres the story, My boyfriend died my first semester of freshman year and I did really poorly, was in and out of the hospital blah blah, anyway I ended up with a 1.9 after my freshman year, my school understood the circumstances and allowed me to come back the next year and keep my scholarship, anyway, since then I have gotten above a 3.5 every semester and ended up with a 3.4 overall and a 3.3 science. I got a 330 on the MCAT. Anyway, I got a BS in Biology and a minor in psychology and Im considering doing a post Bacc to try and raise my gpa. Are adcoms going to see my 4.0 senior year and understand about my freshman year. I have decent EC's and good LOR's ...

I guess Im just looking for an opinion of wether or not i should wait a year before I apply. Thanks guys, and sorry for starting another one of "those" threads :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

you will be able to explain the loss of your boyfriend and your subsequent poor grades in your application. it sounds like you have great stats and a strong chance of getting in. i think you should decided whether or no you are "ready" to apply this year. not whether or not you are a strong enough candidate.

good luck

If it were my story, I think I would apply to medical school and start thinking about post-bacc work (formal or informal) and finding a job in something interesting. That's not to discourage grad school. I just don't really have an interest in it.

I believe adcomms will recognize your rough freshman year for what it was - an anomaly - and see past it.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, is this something I should bring up in my ps? Him committing suicide and the events after that definitly made me decide i want a future in psychiatry. I dont want to sound like I am whining about my past experiences, but that even did spur my drive for medicine.

you shouyld %100 mention it in your PS.
I would even go further and make it the center of my ps not the reason you did poorly more why psychiatry.

jeatmonkey said:
Thanks guys, is this something I should bring up in my ps? Him committing suicide and the events after that definitly made me decide i want a future in psychiatry. I dont want to sound like I am whining about my past experiences, but that even did spur my drive for medicine.

Yes, definitely talk of the experiences that prompted you to explore medicine. Also a chance to explain the bad grades. But I would resist the urge to flat out say "and since my bf died, I couldnt concentrate on school and ended up with bad grades..." Tell your story, and let them figure that out. ADCOMs are smart like that.

:eek: If you got a 330 on your MCAT, then you shouldn't have any trouble getting in med school.

You're in great shape because of your improvement; an upward trend will show what you are really capable of, and your MCAT is right there too. If the death of your boyfriend pushed you towards medicine, I think that is really unique and can only help your application.
Good luck

You're fine. You'll get in this year if you choose your schools wisely.

Apply and don't fret. Write a powerful PS. Many schools look at upward trends. They actually care more about your junior and senior GPA. they understand that we're human and make mistakes. You've triumphed and done well. It's a story of success. Apply with confidence.

Thank you guys for your kind words and encouragement. I know Im ready to apply and excited about the whole process, I just know its going to be extremely stressful and at the end of it, I still could not be accepted. Thanks for the suggestions.. Good luck to everyone :D :love:

What exactly would waiting a year do?

Congratulations on pulling up your grade, I know what it's like and it's not easy.

I suggest you apply poste haste.

papertiger said:
:eek: If you got a 330 on your MCAT, then you shouldn't have any trouble getting in med school.

Yeah, that's gotta be a record. And that is in one sitting, you are telling me?

I meant 33 O :laugh: that would be a shoo in if i really got that though right :D