I lost my DO LOR...now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been shadowing a DO For several months now, and he had agreed to write me a letter of recommendation. Now that I actually need the letter, he said he can't write the letter because he has a lot going on. I am now in a statw of panic because I only have three letters (two science professors and one non-science professor), but I can also get an MD letter. I just heard that DO letters were stronly recommended, and I'm afraid that it can really kill my application. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

This is risky but maybe offer to write the letter yourself? He can read it over and sign it?

Reactions: 1 user
I have been shadowing a DO For several months now, and he had agreed to write me a letter of recommendation. Now that I actually need the letter, he said he can't write the letter because he has a lot going on. I am now in a statw of panic because I only have three letters (two science professors and one non-science professor), but I can also get an MD letter. I just heard that DO letters were stronly recommended, and I'm afraid that it can really kill my application. What should I do?

Having an MD letter instead of a DO letter is absolutely in no way, shape or form a detriment to your application.

Most DO schools no longer have a rigid DO letter requirement and allow MD letters just the same.

I had an MD letter and I received numerous DO IIs and ultimately an acceptance to my #1.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask him if you can just write it for him to sign off on. While I agree that having a MD instead of DO letter won't necessarily be detrimental to your application, having a DO letter will help you. Shoot for birdie, not par.

I would ask him if you can just write it for him to sign off on. While I agree that having a MD instead of DO letter won't necessarily be detrimental to your application, having a DO letter will help you. Shoot for birdie, not par.
I just asked him if I could do that, but he says that doing that is dishonest, and is not something I should have considered going into this field :( I feel stupid. I knew that this DO LOR would really help me, and now I can't stop worrying!

This is risky but maybe offer to write the letter yourself? He can read it over and sign it?

I just asked him if I could do that, but he says that doing that is dishonest, and is not something I should have considered going into this field :( I feel stupid. I knew that this DO LOR would really help me, and now I can't stop worrying!

Idk that I would even want him to write a letter judging by what you've said about him. This isn't dishonest at all and is VERY common. Get the MD letter then! It won't significantly impact your application. LOR's themselves are a very small part of the whole process.

Tell him that agreeing to write a letter and then reneging on that is dishonest too. I would probably just stick with your MD letter for now and then adding another DO letter in the future.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah forget that guy. He made a commitment and didnt stick to it, and its not like he doesnt know about the application process. Definitely use your MD letter, its not a setback.

Reactions: 3 users
Having an MD letter instead of a DO letter is absolutely in no way, shape or form a detriment to your application.

Most DO schools no longer have a rigid DO letter requirement and allow MD letters just the same.

I had an MD letter and I received numerous DO IIs and ultimately an acceptance to my #1.
It's odd how more and more DO schools are becoming less and less distinguished by allowing lower and lower admission standards - I wonder what the physician demographic will be in 20 years or if DOs will become more prominent or just blend in with MDs in terms of practice.

"Black Souls, EMPTY BODIES!"

he probably did you a favor, because his letter may have been a lukewarm one anyways judging by his response.

This is a blessing. This kind of dingus would have written a bad letter. Don't stress it. Apply with the MD letter, shadow another guy and then update with the new DO letter

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Forget this clown.

It's odd how more and more DO schools are becoming less and less distinguished by allowing lower and lower admission standards - I wonder what the physician demographic will be in 20 years or if DOs will become more prominent or just blend in with MDs in terms of practice.

"Black Souls, EMPTY BODIES!"

...Wut?

So you believe that there is some major distinction between MD and DO- to the degree where having an LOR from one is worth more than the other?

I for one think that the DO letter requirement is rooted in antiquated policy and am frankly relieved to see it fading.

But thanks for using my comment as the diving board for you to jump into the deep end...

Reactions: 3 users
...Wut?

So you believe that there is some major distinction between MD and DO- to the degree where having an LOR from one is worth more than the other?

I for one think that the DO letter requirement is rooted in antiquated policy and am frankly relieved to see it fading.

But thanks for using my comment as the diving board for you to jump into the deep end...
Bingo.

DO letters are important to some DO schools. DO school faculties are a tight knit family, and I was told by more than one ADCOM that my DO LOR's were a big boost to my application. Make the extra effort to get one. If not, then dont. This is just my OPINION.

How would the be dishonest? As long as reviewed it and was in agreement with what you wrote there isn't a single dishonest aspect about it. Seriously, follow everyone's advice and use the MD letter. It sounds like the DO is intentionally being difficult.

...Wut?

"WE HAVE TO FIGHT OR BE HOLLOW JUST LIKE THEM!"

DO letters are important to some DO schools. DO school faculties are a tight knit family, and I was told by more than one ADCOM that my DO LOR's were a big boost to my application. Make the extra effort to get one. If not, then dont. This is just my OPINION.

My only issue with this is what happened to the original OP. You have DO physicians who are not willing to write one, or they believe it is "dishonest" to have you draft a letter. I mean, what a load of crap. It took me over a year to find a DO that was willing to work with me and that was only because my friend was in DO school and had the connections. My scribing position didn't even get me access to DOs and I'm in a city.

IMO:
More DO schools/spots> more DOs > bring back the LOR requirement > everyone is happy

Sounds like a jerk. This is a standard practice for many letter writers to ask for this...

Don't beat yourself up too much.

I shadowed an md neuro doc for a year and he was my only physician letter and had no issue getting IIs and accepted. Dont worry so much.

It's still early in the cycle. Unless he wants to avoid writing you a letter period, why not ask if he can write it in two or three weeks from now if he doesn't have time right now?

It's still early in the cycle. Unless he wants to avoid writing you a letter period, why not ask if he can write it in two or three weeks from now if he doesn't have time right now?

Don't ask anyone to write you a letter that is not 100% euthanstic.