I love TBR but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurghStudent

lurker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am using TBR for all the subjects, both content and practice. The material is excellent but no company will ever cover everything 100%, and that's understandable. By this I mean that TBR Bio is sort of weak on evolution.

Are there any glaring holes anyone picked up as far as content goes? I don't want to read through a different set of a books to make sure. This way I can supplement those areas with other sources. To me nothing beats these books, but a supplement wont hurt.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Evolution on the mcat is a very very small part, so dont worry bout that too much. There are simply not many ways to ask about it in the test's format.

TBR does skip over a few things, but usually wha they dont cover in the content is often taught in the passages/explanation section. As long as you are going through the book diligently you dont have to worry about any major topics that you might miss. If you encounter something that you never seen before, chances are, neither has everyoe else taking the test. In these instances, you should be able to infer information from the passage.

Toward the end of your studying, make sure you just go through the entire syllabus laid out by the AAMC and see if there is anything that you dont know. Its time consuming, but will give u confidence and plug holes.

Just off the top of my head i thought the different sensory systems for the bio could have been more in depth, but this is just 1 of many, but i cant think of them at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR is kinda weird in these aspects. Make sure you also use other resources, like Examkrackers. Read Sn2ed's schedule (sticky post on the main MCAT directory) or other resources.

When I used TBR, I easily got stuck and frustrated sometimes, but they are really extensive and can teach you SO much. Make sure you use other materials too, something more concise (like EK).

TBR is kinda weird in these aspects. Make sure you also use other resources, like Examkrackers. Read Sn2ed's schedule (sticky post on the main MCAT directory) or other resources.

When I used TBR, I easily got stuck and frustrated sometimes, but they are really extensive and can teach you SO much. Make sure you use other materials too, something more concise (like EK).
EK Bio is reallllllly good.

They also explicitly state what things you should know, what things are kind of like background info, and what things you should memorize. Really concise.

I disagree for Biology and Organic, EK Biology/Organic is way better than TBR unless you have zero familiarity with the subject or it's been years since you've taken a biology/organic class.

Physics is better in TBR and Chem is a toss up I guess.