I`m a Sophmore in High School and i'm looking for advise.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
double post.

i suck at life

Members don't see this ad.

I am a sophomore also!

Congratulations!_0907.jpg

:thumbup:

Congrats on your decision! First, keep grades up. Second, rock the SATs. Third, get your family to hook up a lab research gig at a local med school or hospital. Or at least find a summer research program for high schoolers. Fourth, do any clinical rotation you can get your hands on. Figure out which ones you like best and stick with them long term (ie. so you get a college rec out of it). Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently came upon the thought of becoming a physician a couple months ago, and i just found these forums today. I live in michigan and I would like to know what universitys i should look into applying to. My GPA is around 3.95 so I think I got a shot at any university. My grandparents work at MSU and my mom went there as well. So MSU would be a #1 choice for me. What other universitys are worth looking into. I`m also not shure about what field to go into. I know I should make this choice myself but, Any kind of help you can give me I appreciate. I dont want to be a surgeon becasue that seems like too much pressure having to operate on someone. I don't know what the other fields are about except Family Practise. I`ve got time but It's best to seek help earlier then later.

Thanks to any help you provide

I don't know about the rest of SDN, but I think you should be worried about having some fun (dating cheerleaders, hanging out at the beach, etc). You're a sophomore in high school for crying out loud. If all you worry about is doing things that you think will look good for med school, you will be a very boring candidate when that happens 6 or more years from now...

ok, so on topic. schools to go to for premed in state (in order of quality):

1. Michigan. if you get in, go there
2. Kalamazoo. 2nd best school in the state, only 1200 students
3. Albion/Hope/Calvin: Hope and Calvin are solid schools but full of christian nutjobs (to put it nicely). Albion definately outperforms itself when it comes to med school admissions, but is really in a rut in the moment... hopefully a new President next year will shake things up.
4. MSU: go to Lyman Briggs school if you can. small school academics with big school fun
5. Alma: close to home for you, but a school that's been in a serious decline the last few years.

LOL, people dont even read the whole thread. I am Senior now and I dont even want to be a doctor anymore.

LOL, people dont even read the whole thread. I am Senior now and I dont even want to be a doctor anymore.

Yeah, I was just thinking that it's pretty hard to know what "career" you want this early in the game, especially if you are just basing it on some facts and hypothetical senarios. I'd recommend actually observing or getting hands on with a few potential careers that strike you as interesting. Then, you might have a better clue. Because even though there is some logic involved in this kind of choice, it's also about heart and what makes you want to get up in the morning.

I am a sophomore also!

OMG, we need to have a High School Sophomore section in SDN. Too much interest but my suggestion to the aspiring HS students is to concentrate on their education passionately and rest is a piece of cake. If they figured it all out so early what they want to do and they know what is expected of them then they are half way there. As a HS sophomore I did not evan know what MCAT was let alone plan my subspecializations.