I managed to get myself knocked up. How screwed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks aPD, great information as always. Every job I've had has offered some form of short-term disability, but my understanding is that this isn't always a legally requirement. Do you typically have to work for a period of time before you become eligible to claim benefits? Or can a person claim short-term disability starting on day one?

This is a little complicated, but if an employee goes out on short-term disability but isn't yet eligible for FMLA leave (due to being in their first year of employment) do they have legal protections against termination? I would hope that a hospital wouldn't resort to this, but would the resident have legal rights?

Short term disability is a work benefit -- it will completely depend upon the employer, so there's no way to make blanket statements. Some employers self insure for short term disability (just keep paying people for 6 months if disabled), and then use insurance to cover long term absences. Some will have STD insurance. Some will have no disability insurance. Exclusions, or lower payouts, for new employees until they have worked a certain period of time are possible. Some states might have state run systems. There are too many possibilities to cover.

On the second issue, you are incorrect. It's not "a little complicated". It's very complicated! They would not have FMLA protection, since they don't meet the requirements. But if the employer had offered similar protections to employees in the past, they might be forced to continue doing so. Or there might be state or local laws that require this. Residents (or any employees) always have legal rights, but what those rights are depend upon where you're working.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Short term disability is a work benefit -- it will completely depend upon the employer, so there's no way to make blanket statements. Some employers self insure for short term disability (just keep paying people for 6 months if disabled), and then use insurance to cover long term absences. Some will have STD insurance. Some will have no disability insurance. Exclusions, or lower payouts, for new employees until they have worked a certain period of time are possible. Some states might have state run systems. There are too many possibilities to cover.

On the second issue, you are incorrect. It's not "a little complicated". It's very complicated! They would not have FMLA protection, since they don't meet the requirements. But if the employer had offered similar protections to employees in the past, they might be forced to continue doing so. Or there might be state or local laws that require this. Residents (or any employees) always have legal rights, but what those rights are depend upon where you're working.

In all, it seems like the OP might benefit from deferring residency for one year. While the logistics and stress of working as an intern/mother are difficult enough, the timing is challenging too. She would either have a newborn right before or immediately after starting a residency. Based on the reasons above, she may need to disclose her pregnancy during her interviews, even though it would be her legal right to not do so.

Also, not all daycare centers will accept newborn infants, so waiting a while to start would make childcare easier to arrange. Obviously, not everyone can take a year off work. But if she can, it has the potential to make her a better parent and a better resident.

Current 4th year med student with FWB on birth control and one of the lucky ones who still managed to get pregnant.

How feasible is it to have a child as a single mother in residency? I'd probably have to pay for a nanny. Is it possible to afford on one resident's pay?

Any stories of people you know would be appreciated.
Did you end up keeping the baby?

Last edited:
Im a pgy1 and I just found out I am pregnant. I am terrified. I barely have time for anything. I dont think I can care for a kid but I don't want an abortion either. Im 28. The bf is very supportive but he just started medical school in a state very far away. My family is supportive from a distance, so its just me.

Unfortunately that poster hasn't been around since 2018, at least under that name.

Reactions: 1 users
Im a pgy1 and I just found out I am pregnant. I am terrified. I barely have time for anything. I dont think I can care for a kid but I don't want an abortion either. Im 28. The bf is very supportive but he just started medical school in a state very far away. My family is supportive from a distance, so its just me.
There's always adoption. This doesn't have to be a binary choice.

Reactions: 3 users
can we just repeat the same questions? Like what specialty, etc? It will be hard without help from friends and family. Got to have a good support system that is reliable. And unless you got money it is hard to pay for all that sitter time.

Reactions: 1 user