I matched...now what!? (For current/past residents)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SubstanceK

Student Pharmacist
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched (all glory to God :D)! I have reveled in this amazing feeling for the past 2 weeks. I have woken up with a smile on my face, went to sleep with a smile on my face, I even fell down the stairs (I wasn't smiling as I was falling) but when I got back up again:soexcited:(true story). What a joy it is to see your hard work come into fruition!

In a few months, real life begins. I'm nervous and excited. I want to make sure I uphold the prestigious standards of my residency program and give it all I have. Thus, my question to current and past residents :

• What is it you wish you knew then, which you know now?
  • What advice do you have for my residency class of 2019? I'm open to the good and the bad!
  • RPDs feel free to answer as well : What advice do you have for the incoming residency class?

Can't wait to read everyone's replies :).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I matched (all glory to God :D)! I have reveled in this amazing feeling for the past 2 weeks. I have woken up with a smile on my face, went to sleep with a smile on my face, I even fell down the stairs (I wasn't smiling as I was falling) but when I got back up again:soexcited:(true story). What a joy it is to see your hard work come into fruition!

In a few months, real life begins. I'm nervous and excited. I want to make sure I uphold the prestigious standards of my residency program and give it all I have. Thus, my question to current and past residents :

• What is it you wish you knew then, which you know now?
  • What advice do you have for my residency class of 2019? I'm open to the good and the bad!
  • RPDs feel free to answer as well : What advice do you have for the incoming residency class?

Can't wait to read everyone's replies :).
Start looking for jobs about 6 months before residency ends. If you find one that won’t wait for you to finish residency, then quit residency and take it.

Pharmacy has been an employers’ market since forever but hit peak saturation this past year. Think of residency as stall tactics for a job— if the opportunity presents itself then you better go for the sure thing than wait it out. You don’t want to be one of those unemployed, residency-trained grads.

Start looking for jobs about 6 months before residency ends. If you find one that won’t wait for you to finish residency, then quit residency and take it.

Pharmacy has been an employers’ market since forever but hit peak saturation this past year. Think of residency as stall tactics for a job— if the opportunity presents itself then you better go for the sure thing than wait it out. You don’t want to be one of those unemployed, residency-trained grads.
I mean, quitting your residency will burn all sorts of bridges for you and effectively blacklist you because pharmacy is a small world so I personally wouldn't recommend this, but you do you.

to the OP - start your licensing stuff ASAP. things move way slower than you would expect.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Get licensed ASAP, don't defer student loans for the 6 month grace period if your goal is PSLF, enroll in your system's retirement plan up to the match if eligible.

Reactions: 1 users

This is literally the worst advice I have ever seen on this forum. Username checks out though.

Reactions: 3 users