I mean, what happens if I don't get accepted...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just ended my Freshman year of college and although I've always wanted to be a doctor, I'm just now really diving into the statistics regarding medical school. Luckily, earlier in life I've had some experiences where I beat the odds and everyone's expectations so I have the confidence and will to attack this task, but these statistics left me wondering... I see statistics where very high GPA and decent MCAT applicants only have a 50/50 chance of getting into medical school. And I guess I'm wondering what happens to these people who have slaved the past few years to get this far. I get the impression DO med schools tend to opt for more mature (with life experience) students who are usually older than the general MD student so is that what a majority of these students do? Buckle down on experience and apply to a DO in a few years?

I'm not really worried or nervous (that will come in time), I'm just curious what all of y0ur thoughts on this were. Are there any statistics out there? These are motivated, intelligent individuals. I just want to know what happens to the rest of these applicants.:eyebrow:

I'm just curious so feel free to post personal experiences, backup plans, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

what statistics are you referring to? I saw a table floating around that said if you have a 3.7 and a 35 you have a 80-90% chance of getting in somewhere. Those are achievable numbers if you work hard and stay focused

what statistics are you referring to? I saw a table floating around that said if you have a 3.7 and a 35 you have a 80-90% chance of getting in somewhere. Those are achievable numbers if you work hard and stay focused
I forget the exact name of the thread but there is a "sticky" thread on here with like 12 different graphs. I'm definitely going to do everything in my power to achieve the absolute highest I can from this point forward but I was just posting this thread out of genuine curiosity. I'm just wondering what happens to all of these pre-meds who aren't accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think overall its something like 60 percent of applicants get in at some point. Keep in mind that a lot of people applying have no business doing so, and many of them have mediocre numbers, no clinical experience, red flags, late/whimsical decision to apply, etc.

Those with strong stats and proper ECs/ references would probably be significantly higher than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above poster. I think that the numbers are artificially low. When you see that X% of a certain GPA/MCAT range get accepted, you have to ask yourself how many of those people had utterly mediocre ECs, people who submitted their application the day before the deadline, people who asked for LORs from a biology professor they never met, etc.

And to answer your question, speaking as someone who has a high GPA and average MCAT who didn't get in this year, I intend to apply until I do get in. It may require me to spend a year or several working in a healthcare field or retaking the MCAT, but I have every intention of going to medical school.

Had a low cGPA, low clinical experience, zero research, and subpar LORs; still got accepted to MD and DO as a white male. The odds aren't as bad as you think.

The best part is in med school when the 4.0/37 guys struggle to rank in the top half of your class.

Had a low cGPA, low clinical experience, zero research, and subpar LORs; still got accepted to MD and DO as a white male. The odds aren't as bad as you think.

The best part is in med school when the 4.0/37 guys struggle to rank in the top half of your class.
As a very average acceptee, this makes me feel good about this fall

I just ended my Freshman year of college and although I've always wanted to be a doctor, I'm just now really diving into the statistics regarding medical school. Luckily, earlier in life I've had some experiences where I beat the odds and everyone's expectations so I have the confidence and will to attack this task, but these statistics left me wondering... I see statistics where very high GPA and decent MCAT applicants only have a 50/50 chance of getting into medical school. And I guess I'm wondering what happens to these people who have slaved the past few years to get this far. I get the impression DO med schools tend to opt for more mature (with life experience) students who are usually older than the general MD student so is that what a majority of these students do? Buckle down on experience and apply to a DO in a few years?

I'm not really worried or nervous (that will come in time), I'm just curious what all of y0ur thoughts on this were. Are there any statistics out there? These are motivated, intelligent individuals. I just want to know what happens to the rest of these applicants.:eyebrow:

What do you mean by "very high GPA and decent MCAT?" I don't think the statistics support the idea that these applicants have a 50/50 chance of acceptance. Applicants with a GPA between 3.60 and 3.79 with an MCAT between 30 and 32 have a 60.9% chance of acceptance. This is significantly higher than 50%, and I don't even think it is fair to say that this GPA range is "very high" since the average GPA of an accepted student is 3.67. Applicants with a GPA between 3.80 and 4.0 with an MCAT between 30 and 32 have a 74% chance of acceptance. That is actually pretty good odds. I guess my point in all of this is: actually, the odds aren't really that bad. If your MCAT score and GPA are good, you have pretty good odds, so don't go into an all out panic.

I think overall its something like 60 percent of applicants get in at some point. Keep in mind that A lot of people applying have no business doing so, and many of them have mediocre numbers, no clinical experience, red flags, late/whimsical decision to apply, etc.

Those with strong stats and proper ECs/ references would probably be significantly higher than that.
I guess that's true. I actually know a pre-med who got waitlisted and complained when he applied AFTER the deadline, had a low MCAT, GPA, limited clinical experience and a terrible work ethic. I figure if there is one that I've ran into, there are plenty more.

Agree with the above poster. I think that the numbers are artificially low. When you see that X% of a certain GPA/MCAT range get accepted, you have to ask yourself how many of those people had utterly mediocre ECs, people who submitted their application the day before the deadline, people who asked for LORs from a biology professor they never met, etc.

And to answer your question, speaking as someone who has a high GPA and average MCAT who didn't get in this year, I intend to apply until I do get in. It may require me to spend a year or several working in a healthcare field or retaking the MCAT, but I have every intention of going to medical school.
I can definitely see that. I feel like a lot of people can kind of go on autopilot study wise and get good grades and whatnot but it takes character to volunteer and network etc. And I'm like you, if I don't get in the first try, gosh darnit, I'm going to do everything in my power to improve myself until I do.

That does make me feel better. Not to put my fellow pre-meds down but I've noticed a lot of heartlessness among them. I can genuinely say I love the science of medicine and want to interact with and help people, I can't say that about a lot of pre-meds I know.

As a very average acceptee, this makes me feel good about this fall

It's pretty amazing how pre-med stats have almost zero correlation with success in med school. Usually high MCAT = high boards, but the #1 student in the class that just graduated entered with a 24 MCAT -- they'll probably repeat this stat at orientation for the next 10 years.

What do you mean by "very high GPA and decent MCAT?" I don't think the statistics support the idea that these applicants have a 50/50 chance of acceptance. Applicants with a GPA between 3.60 and 3.79 with an MCAT between 30 and 32 have a 60.9% chance of acceptance. This is significantly higher than 50%, and I don't even think it is fair to say that this GPA range is "very high" since the average GPA of an accepted student is 3.67. Applicants with a GPA between 3.80 and 4.0 with an MCAT between 30 and 32 have a 74% chance of acceptance. That is actually pretty good odds. I guess my point in all of this is: actually, the odds aren't really that bad. If your MCAT score and GPA are good, you have pretty good odds, so don't go into an all out panic.

I should have clarified more in my original post. I was thinking a 3.6 with a 29 MCAT. Honestly, I'm too early along to know exactly how difficult each score is to achieve. I did do a quick search though and in 2014 the average score was roughly a 28 making 29 slightly above average. I guess the real takeaway from this thread that I've noticed so far is that with a strong work ethic and dedication, it is actually pretty likely to get into med school. And if I don't get in the first time, working harder and improving myself can greatly increase my second chance so there really isn't any reason to go around screaming "the end of the world is coming." Although that does sound rather enticing.

Re-applicants are not a rarity. The important thing after having a failed cycle is getting feedback from adcom, adding meaningful experiences and reworking a few essays from your application. Don't plan on failing, but don't count on succeeding.