Medical I messed up in formatting my projected hours and don't want to seem like I am trying to go over the adcoms.. Is there a way to rectify?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I submitted my AMCAS for verification and followed the AAMC guidelines when projecting my hours. Based on my research after submitting (not my smartest move) I noticed it was favorable to use the repeated activities feature and show the hours that you have completed and the hours that you are projecting. I continuously clumped mine all together and I did not make any distinctions in the description. I was told by all my medicals school friends and the research I had done online, previous to SDN, to talk about the significance of each experience and how it impacted me as a person. I had 14 activities and projected for 3 of them. None of these projected hours are inflated and I even made sure to be conservative in my estimates. I am very hopefully that I will reach the hours that I have projected and likely pass them. I am wondering if an adcom can comment on how this will look in my application and if there is a way to rectify it via something like a secondary prompt or by sending an update letter. I listed my activities and projections below. Thank you again for the help.

The first activity is my full time employment that I have been doing for the last 8 months (even through the COVID pandemic) and will continue to do until matriculation.I calculates the amount of hours I work (160 per month) and multiplied it by the amount of months then subtracted time for vacation and such.

The second is a volunteer activity I started 2 years ago and have 215 hours at and I projected 325 by the time of matriculation.

The third is a volunteer opportunity I started 8 months ago and have 150 hours at but projected 250 to be conservative by matriculation.
Let it stand! If someone asks you about it in an interview, just be honest about the hours you worked.

Members don't see this ad.

While I feel that making completed hours clear is a good idea, I don't think you need to "rectify" anything. Adcomms can do the math to figure out the hours you are likely to have completed already for these three activities. What I would recommend is that you use relevant Secondary prompts and a fall (maybe spring, too) update letter to let schools know of your additional completed hours for these and any new activities.

Would you consider a secondary prompt that states " use this space to tell the admission committee anything else that is not on your primary application but that you would like taken into consideration" as a relevant prompt to explain this?
It's a relevant prompt to mention added hours for those activities. You don't need to "explain" anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.