I need 8 more schools to apply to, any recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjmjoa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for the PCAT for this July and want to select 15 schools to send my PCAT to (I must do this before registering for PCAT, apparently). So far I plan on applying to these schools:

Wayne State University
Ferris State University
Michigan University
Northwestern University
Ohio Northern University
University of Toledo
Midwestern University

My GPA is a 3.0 ( :/ ) but I have 4 years of Pharmacy tech experience, lots of volunteering (including at a hospital pharmacy) plus averaged a 3.8 GPA in my last 4 semesters and hoping to kill the PCAT (studying for 2 months straight and hoping to pull a 90+).

So, wondering if you guys can help me out here. I'd like to apply to pharmacy schools that are easier to get into; ones that accepts students with a low-ish GPA. Really any schools I can use as a last resort, even, to ensure I go to a pharmacy school in Fall 2016. (Preference: school that is not crazy expensive, known to be a good school, and located near the ones mentioned above, but not necessary.)

Any help would be appreciated, much thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can't help you out with the schools, but your stats are pretty good. You seem like a well rounded candidate. Do good on your PCAT and be engaging during your interview and no reason why you shouldn't make a fine candidate.

Good luck!

Can't help you out with the schools, but your stats are pretty good. You seem like a well rounded candidate. Do good on your PCAT and be engaging during your interview and no reason why you shouldn't make a fine candidate.

Good luck!
Thanks, I hope so.

Any school recommendations from anyone would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
The good ones:

Purdue
Mercer
U of Minnesota
U of Buffalo

Just look at the school list on PharmCAS and decide. lol
These schools seem great, but do you think I have a chance with my GPA?

pharm schools are so easy to get in these days that a 3.0 will suffice.

Reactions: 1 user
You want to pick a school that isn't surrounded by 20 other schools in the same state so you can actually get some paid intern hours which is very important these days! You also want to pay in state tuition. I would avoid anything East or West coast, and stay in Michigan and the freezing winters.

You want to pick a school that isn't surrounded by 20 other schools in the same state so you can actually get some paid intern hours which is very important these days! You also want to pay in state tuition. I would avoid anything East or West coast, and stay in Michigan and the freezing winters.
Well Michigan only has 3 pharmacy schools, so it wouldn't be very smart to not apply elsewhere and risk not being accepted to these 3 schools.

If most of the schools you're applying to use PharmCAS, you JUST select Pharmcas (code 104 I believe) rather than each school individually. Then your scores get sent to pharmCAS and all the schools that use it will be able to see your scores on the application. For the schools that don't use pharmcas, however, you'll have to select each of them.

If most of the schools you're applying to use PharmCAS, you JUST select Pharmcas (code 104 I believe) rather than each school individually. Then your scores get sent to pharmCAS and all the schools that use it will be able to see your scores on the application. For the schools that don't use pharmcas, however, you'll have to select each of them.
So I just need to choose PharmCAS, not each school individually? It says select up to 15 schools.

So I just need to choose PharmCAS, not each school individually? It says select up to 15 schools.
You're registering for the PCAT, correct? And selecting your score recipients with the school codes? If you look on the pharmCAS a website it tells you to have your scores sent to them, if the schools you're applying to use it. Most, but not all schools use pharmcas, so you need to find out if any that you want to apply to don't use it so you can select them separately. also, I think the first 3 score recipients you choose are free, and after that it's a charge, you may want to check though.

You're registering for the PCAT, correct? And selecting your score recipients with the school codes? If you look on the pharmCAS a website it tells you to have your scores sent to them, if the schools you're applying to use it. Most, but not all schools use pharmcas, so you need to find out if any that you want to apply to don't use it so you can select them separately. also, I think the first 3 score recipients you choose are free, and after that it's a charge, you may want to check though.
There are no codes, just a drop down list of a bunch of schools to pick from.

If you go to any school's page, you'll see "Note: select PharmCAS Code 104 to report PCAT scores directly to PharmCAS," under the PCAT section.

You realize Ohio Northern and University of Toledo are 6 year direct entry programs right? You won't get in unless you have a great stats because the only seats available are ones opened up when people drop out as far as I know.

Are you from Ohio? I got accepted into Ohio State and NEOMED with similar stats (3.05 GPA, 90+ PCAT, 6 months tech experience). ETSU and University of Charleston are good safety schools as out of state tuition is the same as in-state (Though I wouldn't recommend Charleston unless it's your only option). I was accepted into a few other school like University of Tennessee and University of Kentucky but it's really not even worth applying to these unless you are in-state due to tuition.

Also, you can just have Pharmcas send the PCAT to the schools after you take it so you don't really have to choose now (this is what I did).

Last edited:
You realize Ohio Northern and University of Toledo are 6 year direct entry programs right? You won't get in unless you have a great stats because the only seats available are ones opened up when people drop out as far as I know.

Are you from Ohio? I got accepted into Ohio State and NEOMED with similar stats (3.05 GPA, 90+ PCAT, 6 months tech experience). ETSU and University of Charleston are good safety schools as out of state tuition is the same as in-state (Though I wouldn't recommend Charleston unless it's your only option). I was accepted into a few other school like University of Tennessee and University of Kentucky but it's really not even worth applying to these unless you are in-state due to tuition.

Also, you can just have Pharmcas send the PCAT to the schools after you take it so you don't really have to choose now (this is what I did).
I did not realize that. So they are straight out of high school schools? :/ Guess I can't apply to them then..

Why on earth would you waste the money on applying to that many schools? You have competitive stats, apply to the 8 (which is still too many) and get accepted into half of them.

Why on earth would you waste the money on applying to that many schools? You have competitive stats, apply to the 8 (which is still too many) and get accepted into half of them.
Schools accept what, 100-150 students per year? You're telling me there won't be 100 students with a better GPA and 80+ PCAT?

Schools accept what, 100-150 students per year? You're telling me there won't be 100 students with a better GPA and 80+ PCAT?

There won't be, but even if there was...are you that naive that you truly believe that is all that matters?