I Need A Baseball Residency!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roady

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you would have time for baseball -- or other interests -- at Arkansas once you are done with your IM obligation. Typically, Psych. residents work a very manageable schedule (M-F ~7-5 and occasional weekends). Much of the schedule at the State Hospital is very flexible, and residents often trade schedules. Moreover, thanks to the Walton family (Wal-mart), the entire hospital is being re-built with the exception of two or three buildings. The atmosphere is amazing, the attendings are knowledgeable and love to teach.

The city is VERY affordable -- a 2500 sq. ft home can be had for about $210,000. -- less if you are willing to commute 30 minutes to Conway or Bryant/Benton. Little Rock, since it is the capital, has much to do (i.e. shopping, new minor league baseball stadium being built -- the old stadium will be used two more years, arena football, and the Heights area has a very bohemian appeal for the artistic types.

Wait, that post was serious?

(nicedream) said:
Wait, that post was serious?

I assumed so, since Roady has posted similar threads in other forums. If not, I took the bait :smuggrin: ! Anyway, our men's softball team went to some sort of national tournament and did rather well; so, there is definately time for softball/baseball at Arkansas.

We may have a putrid educational system, but our athletics ROCK. Hey, at least our priorities are in order! :laugh:

mosche said:
I think that you would have time for baseball -- or other interests -- at Arkansas once you are done with your IM obligation. Typically, Psych. residents work a very manageable schedule (M-F ~7-5 and occasional weekends). Much of the schedule at the State Hospital is very flexible, and residents often trade schedules. Moreover, thanks to the Walton family (Wal-mart), the entire hospital is being re-built with the exception of two or three buildings. The atmosphere is amazing, the attendings are knowledgeable and love to teach.

The city is VERY affordable -- a 2500 sq. ft home can be had for about $210,000. -- less if you are willing to commute 30 minutes to Conway or Bryant/Benton. Little Rock, since it is the capital, has much to do (i.e. shopping, new minor league baseball stadium being built -- the old stadium will be used two more years, arena football, and the Heights area has a very bohemian appeal for the artistic types.

Mosche--

Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your enthusiasm for the U of Arkansas program. You are absolutely right: I would not put out some lame fake thread in an attempt to bait you or others into an artificially impassioned discussion (why???). This is the topic of utmost personal value to me--and my bottom line is seeing results in my goal here.

At UA, the IM portion is about 6 mo. and then you are "home" free! Typically Psych. programs do have a "9-5" aura; however, many programs do have a night float system -- not so at Arkansas!

I do think that I may have misinterpreted your post. Our PD is not really the baseball type!!! He is very adament that our residents develope outside interests, since medicine ought to be only one facet of an individual's life! BTW, I appreciate your passion (mine is debate -- what can I say, I'm a nerd! :) ). Unfortunately, it seems that many people sacrifice their passions for their career. I'm NOT saying that that is necessarily a bad thing; but if you want to pursue your passions, I DO say that that is a GOOD thing!

Good luck where ever you match!

How far along in your medical training are you? Just wondering when you'll have to decide between psych, FP, etc.

Mosche--

Thanks again for your support and for the information. I appreciate both--and I think you should say you love debate with pride. Why care if the heard doesn't get your passion--why should you? But let me not rake the coals of your ardent desires to debate here now.

Maybe you should quit medicine and just play pro ball.

roady said:
Blade28--this is it. Senior year. I have to get LORecommendation and fill out ERAS/go interview in the next few months. I'm in the bottom of the 8th(!?).

I don't understand. Shouldn't you be getting ready to send in your ERAS? Are you still torn between FP and psych?

My Biggest Question Is Why Is Each Word Capitalized In The Original Post? It's Like One Big Book Title.

You could play pro ball or at the least buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks. :D

Hmmm...(nicedream) and shivalrous are just wasting space in this post while providing zero value, aren't they?

Irrelevance=disregard. Or go away and save my eyes the effort...

Goodbye garbage--you're out! :)

(nicedream) said:
My Biggest Question Is Why Is Each Word Capitalized In The Original Post? It's Like One Big Book Title.

Because he typed his original post in all caps.

roady said:
Mosche--
I just need a few good leads--a PD who is a former baseball player...a bunch of psychiatry residents who just happen to have played in college and now are recreating the environment for regular baseball in their residency...Something like this is all my imagination keeps conjuring--I would just bet that there must be at least ONE such place out there...Please let me know.

Dude, why don't you just pick a city with a good quality men's baseball league and sign up? I can assure you that you won't find a psych (or any other) program that has enough people with your (freakishly irritating) "passion" for baseball such that they can suit up nine or more RESIDENTS to field a team three times a week.

I'm sure you realize this, but most of at least CONSIDER the speciality we would like to spend our entire CAREER doing when choosing a residency. That's not to say that other people don't have outside interests, but you might be wishing a few years down the line, when your baseball playing days are over, that you had thought about other factors than "where will I be able to play baseball the most?".

Good luck.

madcadaver said:
Dude, why don't you just pick a city with a good quality men's baseball league and sign up? I can assure you that you won't find a psych (or any other) program that has enough people with your (freakishly irritating) "passion" for baseball such that they can suit up nine or more RESIDENTS to field a team three times a week.

I'm sure you realize this, but most of at least CONSIDER the speciality we would like to spend our entire CAREER doing when choosing a residency. That's not to say that other people don't have outside interests, but you might be wishing a few years down the line, when your baseball playing days are over, that you had thought about other factors than "where will I be able to play baseball the most?".

Good luck.

:laugh:

roady said:
I WILL NOT BE RESPONDING TO SUPERFICIAL OR RUDE POSTS....

Thanks to all the soulful and helpful, compassionate people out here--I know you're out there, and you're a blessing among these dregs!

Superficial? Have you considered the fact that you appear superficial by proclaiming that your choise of residency, perhaps even medical speciality, will be determined by "Somewhere In The South For 365 Days Of Good Weather, And Would Be A Place Where The Director Is Someone Into Baseball--and Therefore Very Understanding And Friendly For People Seeking Schedules Which Have 2-3 Days A Week Of Baseball In Them!!" ? Have you thought about the kind of single-minded maniac you will appear at residency interviews if all you can talk about is baseball? At least your bizarre capitalization will not be on display in verbal communication.

Anyone is entitled to asking a question on these boards. But people do start getting annoyed when somebody posts the same question in multiple threads, with countless pointless "bumps". You've ignored the very good advice that multiple people have given to you and haven't seemed to grasp the concept that nobody here knows of any psych residency in which doctors wear their caps, cups, and cleats to work.

I have heard, however, that if you build a baseball stadium on your farm, Shoeless Joe and friends will emerge from the corn to play baseball with you. That is always an option.

Again, good luck! Chase that dream, and keep us up to date on how your baseball (oh, and residency) hunt is going!

If you build it, Roady will cu - I mean come...