I Need A Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay so i am applying this year and have graduate, so i need to find work.

I was hoping someone could help me and tell me where best to work.

I live in a houston, so types of work won't be a problem.
I got a B.S. in Biochemistry with good grades and stuff.
I was wondering where and what type of work i could get and get a good salary. obviosuly, I need money and I wanna get the best job i can get.

where/what type of work i could get that will pay me the most. I don't care whether or not i use my degree.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck. I got a job as a clinical research coordinator, but I was looking for a job for over 4 months before I found it. It's easiest if you have connections. I don't know what will pay most, though. Clinical research is pretty good money.

I was in the same situation as you newdude. It was harder getting a full time job than I thought. I'm working as a pharm tech now. I'd recommend that if you aren't basing your job solely on money. At least it'll be good experience for medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
HessExpress said:
I was in the same situation as you newdude. It was harder getting a full time job than I thought. I'm working as a pharm tech now. I'd recommend that if you aren't basing your job solely on money. At least it'll be good experience for medicine.
Oh, but I'd say he *is* basing it solely on that. He mentions it no fewer than three times. That's the kind of personal integrity that shines in admissions interviews.

aphistis said:
Oh, but I'd say he *is* basing it solely on that. He mentions it no fewer than three times. That's the kind of personal integrity that shines in admissions interviews.

What does it have to do with personal integrity? We have to pay for the application process, which isn't cheap. And wouldn't it be nice to save up some money so we don't have to rely on as many loans just to have a roof over our heads and food to eat while actually in med school? Personally, I was unwilling to even look for certain types of jobs because they didn't pay enough. I was lucky to get a job with a pretty good salary, considering my qualifications, and my husband and I are going to be able to save a little bit of money each month so we don't have to take as much loan money to live off of.

newdude, one other thing to consider: if you're hard up for cash, try temping while looking for a full-time job. At least it pays the bills. And like I said before, the job search can take a while.

Either way, finding a good paying full time job is pretty hard if you're a kid straight outta undergrad and you aren't shy to make it known you are a current applicant to med school.

All I can do is speak from my own experience: I worked for Kaplan for a year, and they pay very well. If you did well on your MCAT, consider teaching for them. If you get the job, you can work as little or as much as you want, teaching MCAT, SAT, and anything else you're qualified for. This also looks very good on medical school applications, if you're not already in somewhere. Good luck.