I need a thicker skin. But where can I get one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
no it's not illegal, but it is likely in violation of the terms of the contract with the insurance company. however it is not uncommon for therapists to do this.
Very interesting..can we do it as psychiatrists? Why do you think it’s more common for therapists to do it?

Very interesting..can we do it as psychiatrists? Why do you think it’s more common for therapists to do it?
I'm including psychiatrists doing therapy. I can tell you as a resident there were several psychiatrists who would see psych residents for therapy and waive the co-pay to keep it affordable. weekly copays add up. it is only an issue if the insurance company finds out as they will take it as evidence that you are willing to accept a lower rate than what is contracted which could hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't waiving copays illegal?
I looked this up and you are right, unless there are serious extenuating circumstances. I mean, technically as an early career MD I have my financial stress, and we did discuss that and he offered to be helpful, as well as because I complained his “help” wasn’t worth the money. I wasn’t aware it was technically illegal because I work for a large company so I have no say about payments collected for my services.

Anyway, he’s the one waiving copays, and he is the one who offered to do it. I guess that us another reason why he does not know what he is doing.

Not sure what to do now… pay him all the copays I didn’t before and gtfo? I don’t like to be involved in anything potentially illegal.

Last edited:
I looked this up and you are right, unless there are serious extenuating circumstances. I mean, technically as an early career MD I have my financial stress, and we did discuss that and he offered to be helpful, as well as because I complained his “help” wasn’t worth the money. I wasn’t aware it was technically illegal because I work for a large company so I have no say about payments collected for my services.

Anyway, he’s the one waiving copays, and he is the one who offered to do it. I guess that us another reason why he does not know what he is doing.

Not sure what to do now… pay him all the copays I didn’t before and gtfo? I don’t like to be involved in anything potentially illegal.
I wouldn't worry about it, but maybe mention it might be violating anti-kickback laws so he's not accidentally committing felonies going forward.

I wouldn't worry about it, but maybe mention it might be violating anti-kickback laws so he's not accidentally committing felonies going forward.

Anti kickback laws only apply to government insurance, not private insurance. Again it may violate individual insurance contracts but it isn’t an anti kickback violation.

Reactions: 4 users

You won't get in trouble. This is all on him, not you.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh god, you gave him something else to worry about.
This was my exact thought OP I echo the therapy recommendation it could be very beneficial when you find the right fit

Reactions: 2 users
Hey OP, a little off topic and out of genuine interest do you know what you score in neuroticism on the big 5?

Interesting thought. I kind of hate my therapist and I see us as being in a constant conflict because he just says things that are…. So unhelpful and past the point at times I wonder if he has dementia. (He is like 80.) I’ve learned from him how painful it is to not feel understood and heard, which influenced my own practice, so that is one indirect benefit of therapy I guess.

He’s actually pretty good at one thing — the psychoanalytical approach where he is an unflappable and doesn’t react much at all to anything the patient says. He does not seem affected by our conflict and I kind of wish I could be more like him in that way, but how….

He has not changed his approach though. I’m not getting what I need from therapy either in that I have realized where my fears come from, and yes it is not just the lawsuit, but then I’m stuck as to what to do about it. When I ask for ideas or how to problem solve my behaviors, his style is not directive enough
This therapist seems very good.

Usually, people are insulted when they find a kernel of truth to insults. It is easy to deal with the schizophrenic who insists that you are an outer space being that is trying to steal their penis. But accusations that you are not the best provider in the world.... that hits unless you are a narcissitic personality.

The trick is knowing that malpractice requires a deviation from professional standards, knowing the professional standards and adhering to them, recognizing that some insults are indicative of personality structures, and recognizing that some things that you are feeling are the patients' feelings, not yours.

A parent feels bad when a kid says that they are a "mean daddy". That still doesn't mean that a diet of cookies is the right thing to do.

Reactions: 4 users
He is good in some ways but not others. I can’t imagine how making one feel unheard is a therapeutic tool.
My same therapist who inspired the dancing psychiatrist posts also was a fan of "the screen." It inspired a poem (called The Screen). It also inspired a narrative about a therapist so uncaring they wouldn't help an elderly patient who had fallen and broken their hip, lest the frame be broken.

He was in over his head. I don't know if some psychoanalytic techniques can be good, but my impression is that a little knowledge in that area is a dangerous thing.

Hey OP, a little off topic and out of genuine interest do you know what you score in neuroticism on the big 5?
Vegeta-Its-Over-9000-Dragon-Ball-Z.jpg

• Haha