I need advice in regards to getting My application improved for 2021-2022 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuda17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I apologize for the broken grammar in advance ( no, I had my personal statement edited a lot)

here are my stats

Born and raised in Iran till the age of 13. Then moved to Ohio

GPA: 3.34 sGPA:3.0 MCAT: 507 (127-121-29-130)
2 years of research with Kids with autism, 100 hours of shadowing at the Emergency department of my local hospital, 1 year of work at an optometry clinic, and 4 years as a Pharmacy Technician.

I am 26 and I graduated from OSU Back in 2016. English is my second language. I applied to MD/DO schools 3 times and did not get an acceptance. I got an acceptance to Tufts MBS program for 20-21, and I am questioning that as it is a minimum of 58k for one year and that is a lot of money!

That is why I am here. For the next year, what can I do to make my application more competitive? If I do not do the MBS program, is there any other way to increase my GPA? I am in need of new Letters of recommendation too since the current ones are pretty outdated. Any suggestions on alternate ways other than the MBS program?

MED school is my dream and unfortunately, I was not very mature during undergrad.... I am afraid that I am getting a bit too old..

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Your CARS score is 3 SD below mean; i.e., You'd have a hard time understanding your lectures/ppt in med school.

Your CARS score is 80% of the reason you're unsuccessful. Many MD schools have screening filters for any subsection score under 125, so with a 121, it means that many schools aren't even looking at your application. I'm not sure what it's like for DO schools, but I'd imagine they also have a cutoff a couple points lower. The absolute best thing you could do is try to retake your MCAT, emphasizing CARS.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone, I apologize for the broken grammar in advance ( no, I had my personal statement edited a lot)

here are my stats

2 years of research with Kids with autism, 100 hours of shadowing at the Emergency department of my local hospital, 1 year of work at an optometry clinic, and 4 years as a Pharmacy Technician.

I am 26 and I graduated from OSU Back in 2016. English is my second language. I applied to MD/DO schools 3 times and did not get an acceptance. I got an acceptance to Tufts MBS program for 20-21, and I am questioning that as it is a minimum of 58k for one year and that is a lot of money!

That is why I am here. For the next year, what can I do to make my application more competitive? If I do not do the MBS program, is there any other way to increase my GPA? I am in need of new Letters of recommendation too since the current ones are pretty outdated. Any suggestions on alternate ways other than the MBS program?

MED school is my dream and unfortunately, I was not very mature during undergrad.... I am afraid that I am getting a bit too old..

Thank you in advance
You need to ace a SMP or DIY postbac. Read my post on reinvention for premeds.

You need to ace a SMP or DIY postbac. Read my post on reinvention for premeds.
I actually came across it last night.
I have decided (for this year) to shadow a physician (DO), retake MCAT, and take classes that are offered in the first year of medical school at UC Sandiego extension to 1. boost GPA a tiny bit and 2. Refresh my Academic LORs ( my biggest fear is getting an A and the teacher still not writing me one).
Also to show my dedication to help underprivileged communities I am going to volunteer for an organization at the border which helps kids reunite with their parents. what do you think?

mcat after the DIY post bacc ofcourse

Your CARS score is 80% of the reason you're unsuccessful. Many MD schools have screening filters for any subsection score under 125, so with a 121, it means that many schools aren't even looking at your application. I'm not sure what it's like for DO schools, but I'd imagine they also have a cutoff a couple points lower. The absolute best thing you could do is try to retake your MCAT, emphasizing CARS.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thank you for your reply! I shall do that!

I have decided (for this year) to shadow a physician (DO), retake MCAT, and take classes that are offered in the first year of medical school at UC Sandiego extension to 1. boost GPA a tiny bit and 2. Refresh my Academic LORs ( my biggest fear is getting an A and the teacher still not writing me one).
Also to show my dedication to help underprivileged communities I am going to volunteer for an organization at the border which helps kids reunite with their parents. what do you think?

these are fine steps if you don’t do the SMP. However, my question is what steps are you taking to improve your English language skills? I don’t ask that to be judgmental (I am an ESL teacher) but because developing your English language skills is essential for the mcat, understanding lectures, and performing well during interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
these are fine steps if you don’t do the SMP. However, my question is what steps are you taking to improve your English language skills? I don’t ask that to be judgmental (I am an ESL teacher) but because developing your English language skills is essential for the MCAT, understanding lectures, and performing well during interviews.
It is perfectly fine. I appreciate you for taking the time to reply. I was planning to use Uworld and Jack Westin. I am a very slow reader otherwise when it comes to listening and comprehension I am fine. Also, my vocabulary for some words especially from philosophy passages was lacking and I found myself backtracking and losing precious time. What do you suggest I should do?

All good!

Which DO schools did you apply to ? Did you have any interviews ?
I applied to OU, Burrel, Tourros, Western Universities, NYIT, and both LECOMS. no interviews :(

Post your new MCAT score and updated GPA here in the future when available and I will recommend schools.
Omg Thank you! I certainly will!

here are my stats

Thank you in advance

Did you mean your mcat score break down is 121/127/129 instead of 29/130? People keep saying how low your CARS is but that doesn’t really make sense when you do the math and your overall score is 507. 129 is not a low score for the CARS section.

I think all the plans you have for this year sound promising to improve your application! Good luck to you!

Did you mean your mcat score break down is 121/127/129 instead of 29/130? People keep saying how low your CARS is but that doesn’t really make sense when you do the math and your overall score is 507. 129 is not a low score for the CARS section.

I think all the plans you have for this year sound promising to improve your application! Good luck to you!

127/121/129/130, this adds up to 507. Scores are read in order of CP/CARS/BB/PS.

OP, like others have mentioned, your biggest liability is your CARS score right now. You'd have a world of difference in opportunity if you retook this and could get your CARS up to at least 125. I think this should be your biggest goal right now along with continuing GPA repair.

127/121/129/130, this adds up to 507. Scores are read in order of CP/CARS/BB/PS.

OP, like others have mentioned, your biggest liability is your CARS score right now. You'd have a world of difference in opportunity if you retook this and could get your CARS up to at least 125. I think this should be your biggest goal right now along with continuing GPA repair.

My mistake. I thought the cars was second to last.

Omg Thank you! I certainly will!

Hey man! With your MCAT score, instead of doing reinvention of GPA and retaking the MCAT, I would apply to masters/post-bacc programs with guaranteed interviews/acceptances to medical school. Some of them do not have subsection requirements, they only ask for a total score above a set benchmark. You've reached that benchmark for many DO-linkage programs.