I need advice on PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amayer24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fourth year student at NYCOM (DO) and am very
interested in PM&R, I have however just "had my eyes
opened" about PM&R and wholehartedly decided to go
into this specialty.

Does anyone have any advice for someone like me,
having started this late in the process (without any
LORs from PM&R physicians or prior research)?

Is there a good rotation in the Nassau county of Long
Island where I can get a good LOR (that would carry
weight in different programs)(I am planning to do a
rotation at Spaulding later in the year, if I can get
it)?

Is there any research going on in the area of Long
Island that I can get involved in? Actually any
research in NYC (I couldn't find anything online, I am
not really sure where to look though)?

Anything else I can do to increase my chances of
matching at a good program?

I would really appreciate any and all input, Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, so it's August. -> you still have september and october to do away electives. Probably the biggest name in your area would be Kessler -> you can try to get an elective there, although it fills up quick. Another option is to ask for a two week elective and work your butt off to get a LOR. (I got both my LORs from attendings I worked with for 2 wks during a 4 wk elective) You can also look for community physiatrist to shadow.

Why did you change your mind? How did you get to PM&R? Was there a physiatrist involved in your change in mind? Then go talk to that person as well. There are many NYCOM alums on this forum -> drvlad and wscott (a LSU PM&R resident) to start with -> you can probably pm them.

Research -> start by faculty members at your institution. Just email them and see if they have any research going. If you can't find a project, find an interesting case during an elective and write a case report.

Start working on your personal statement NOW -> get ppl to read it.

Make an appointment with the chair of PM&R at your school or an affiliate to talk to that person about your interest NOW -> before the interviewees start coming in.

Hope this helps to get you started. :luck:

Oh i hope it was I who convinced you!!!!
oh i really really do!
actually dr weiss in numc is decently known, and kessler is a great idea as well.
try dr gotlin in beth israel as a sports med rotation or something

BrooklynDO said:
Oh i hope it was I who convinced you!!!!
oh i really really do!
actually dr weiss in numc is decently known, and kessler is a great idea as well.
try dr gotlin in beth israel as a sports med rotation or something

BrooklynDO, of course you are positive influence on our crazy NYCOMers. With PM&R club, the number of applicants from NYCOM will only grow bigger. Dr. Weiss told me that she had 30 NYCOM applicants. I know that 18 of us matched. Maybe this year, if Cornell can someday become progressive, we can take over all of NYC and LI. It could happen :idea: .

Amayer, you need to get the ball rolling with your LORs. It is almost September. Dr. Weiss is a great person to get a LOR from. Mt. Sinai is a great place for SCI research, otherwise they are weak in the research area. I am not sure what research projects are going on at NUMC, although most residents in the past have done research projects. Dr. Weiss does her research predominantly in EMG. The other 2 LI programs, Stony Brook and LIJ, very little going on in terms of research. With Cornell/Columbia, you are better off checking out Columbia for research and LORs. Cornell is average in inpatient but very weak in outpatient. If you do an elective at Cornell/Columbia, you have to decide which campus you want to rotate at. Columbia is much better.

Amayer, I also PM'd you. Try to get 2 PM&R LORs if you can.

Good luck!