I need advice plz ~ =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsk5x

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I am applying to medical schools this cycle, however, I don't seem to get many interviews. I attend a top public university. My GPA is 3.8, science 3.83. My MCAT score is 38 (14,12,12). I applied to 18 schools, mostly in the top 30. I submitted my secondaries early August, however, I got 2 interviews in September and haven't heard anything since then. I got into one medical school (Tufts), but considering tuition and location, I don't know if I want to go there. I have received a couple rejections from some schools, but haven't heard back from the top tier schools. I have a feeling my extracurricular activities are a little weak (some research but not so intensive, some volunteer, some shadowing, etc). I am an American citizen, but I do not have a permanent residency in the states, so I don't have instate privilege.

If you were in my situation, what would you do? Should I take a year off, and reapply? And if I do, what do you think I should improve? Also, what do you guys think is wrong with my application this year? I'm confused and frustrated and need some advice so I can start planning for next semester and ahead :)!So please, please! Give my some advice ~:love: Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.
I am applying to medical schools this cycle, however, I don't seem to get many interviews. I attend a top public university. My GPA is 3.8, science 3.83. My MCAT score is 38 (14,12,12). I applied to 18 schools, mostly in the top 30. I submitted my secondaries early August, however, I got 2 interviews in September and haven't heard anything since then. I got into one medical school (Tufts), but considering tuition and location, I don't know if I want to go there. I have received a couple rejections from some schools, but haven't heard back from the top tier schools. I have a feeling my extracurricular activities are a little weak (some research but not so intensive, some volunteer, some shadowing, etc). I am an American citizen, but I do not have a permanent residency in the states, so I don't have instate privilege.

If you were in my situation, what would you do? Should I take a year off, and reapply? And if I do, what do you think I should improve? Also, what do you guys think is wrong with my application this year? I'm confused and frustrated and need some advice so I can start planning for next semester and ahead :)!So please, please! Give my some advice ~:love: Thank you.

ARE YOU EFFING MAD?????????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

No, do not reapply... just wait, there is still time. Where else have you interviewed? Just wait, and it will be EXTREMELY difficult to reapply, since you have a DARK MARK since you have already been accepted to a medical school, and a good one, in fact. If you really did not wanna go there, then why did you even apply? There are 24,000 people who would love to be in your position with an acceptance, but many of these people will have to reapply next year. Take what you have, take out the loans, and go there. And do not be STUPID and throw away an acceptance.

Considering you have been accepted, there is nothing WRONG with your application. My advice is be thankful and wait because if you are on Waitlists, then you might get in later.

God, I really hope you are a troll!

No, do not reapply... just wait, there is still time. Where else have you interviewed? Just wait, and it will be EXTREMELY difficult to reapply, since you have a DARK MARK since you have already been accepted to a medical school, and a good one, in fact. If you really did not wanna go there, then why did you even apply? There are 24,000 people who would love to be in your position with an acceptance, but many of these people will have to reapply next year. Take what you have, take out the loans, and go there. And do not be STUPID and throw away an acceptance.

my thoughts exactly...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts is great, count your blessings! Tough luck though, bummer you didn't get a little more love. Like DrMonkey said...your only real option is to wait it out and see what happens due to your acceptance!

Hello.

Ummm, you got into Tufts. You should be really happy and matriculate! If you weren't going to go there why even bother applying and interviewing?

If I had to guess why you aren't getting more interview love I would have to say your PS or letters are most likely lacking. While your EC's may be weak they still cover the basics your other stats are great so I don't think that can explain why you are not receiving invites.

Hello.

You've already been accepted, but you want to reapply? My best friend applied last year with a higher GPA and the same MCAT as you (>3.9, 38) and similarly did not do so well in the application cycle considering his numbers. In his case, it was a lack of a cohesive story behind his ECs. I'd suspect the same in your case; assuming that your ECs and LORs were decent, my guess is that you did not effectively combine your ECs with your life in your essays.

First off, I'd advise against reapplying since you've already been accepted. If you simply refuse to take this advice, then work on developing your "story."

Interview invitations will be extended through February at the latest. Moreover, with the holidays upon us, you are unlikely to hear any news until after the New Year. Therefore, I would suggest waiting until the end of January to begin entertaining such thoughts.

With regards to your situation, while Tufts may be expensive, consider the costs (not to mention the "lost income potential") of turning down the offer of admission and reapplying next year. Believe me, those losses will more than make up for Tufts' annual bills (which I do admit are extremely pricey). If reputation is your concern (which I hope it is not, but to each their own), know that Tufts is a highly respected medical school, and with sufficient effort, you will be competitive for any speciality that is of interest to you.

I agree with above. I understand being turned off by costs; however, you won't have in-state tuition anyway. What may amount to difference of 40-50K between schools over four years won't be worth delaying future income.
Tufts is a great school anyway.

Considering you have been accepted, there is nothing WRONG with your application. My advice is be thankful and wait because if you are on Waitlists, then you might get in later.

Can I say +3 instead of +1?

I interviewed at UVA and got waitlisted. It's not that I don't want to go to Tufts, I just want choices and was thinking about my other options (if I have any..Apparently my other options weren't reasonable??) Thanks for the advice :laugh:

I interviewed at UVA and got waitlisted. It's not that I don't want to go to Tufts, I just want choices and was thinking about my other options (if I have any..Apparently my other options weren't reasonable??) Thanks for the advice :laugh:

:rolleyes:

Ok the options should look like this.

Top choice: get into perfect med school
2nd choice: get into any med school
3rd choice: reapply.

It doesnt matter whether you have other choices or not... if you got into 1, GO. What good would it do if you reapplied and got into 10 schools? You're still only going to go to one! Plus... your chances will go WAY down if you turned down an acceptance. Listen to these people and freakin matriculate!

Members don't see this ad :)
jeez... tufts was outstanding..also (maybe this is an urban myth but i thought that) if you do not go after getting in and reapply, you will not get in anywhere at all because the schools will know this.

Hello.

lolwut.jpg

Hello.

It sounds like you are suffering either from a fear of not being able to finance medical school, or that you are suffering from a fear of not getting into a school where you "deserve" to go.

On the financial end, you could consider the military. It is a wonderful option. The Health Professions Scholarship Program will pay for every academic expense at your medical school, give you a $1900/month living expenses stipend, and give you double the chances of getting into the residency of your choice. What I mean by that is that the military will allow you to apply to residency slots that are reserved only for HPSP students--alongside the normal civilian residencies that everyone else applies to. You just have to put four years back in to the service when you are done with residency (assuming that you chose the military residency route).

As for whether or not you are disappointed with the Tufts acceptance, I don't know what to say. I think that many premeds tend to have an ego complex about where they "ought" to go to medical school.

Remember, admission anywhere is a privilege. Even if the medical school is out of the way, not in a desirable location, etc. You can and should make it work in the end. Not everyone gets the opportunity to attend Tufts.

:)

On the financial end, you could consider the military. It is a wonderful option. The Health Professions Scholarship Program will pay for every academic expense at your medical school, give you a $1900/month living expenses stipend, and give you double the chances of getting into the residency of your choice. What I mean by that is that the military will allow you to apply to residency slots that are reserved only for HPSP students--alongside the normal civilian residencies that everyone else applies to. You just have to put four years back in to the service when you are done with residency (assuming that you chose the military residency route).

Do not do HPSP unless you actually want to be IN the military. If you are seriously considering it, talk to some of the people in this board who have done military medicine. Being a military doctor is a tremendous honor, privilege and responsibility, but it's not for everyone.
-Roy

Greonis:
<Interview invitations will be extended through February at the latest. Moreover, with the holidays upon us, you are unlikely to hear any news until after the New Year.>

<With regards to your situation, while Tufts may be expensive, consider the costs (not to mention the "lost income potential") of turning down the offer of admission and reapplying next year. Believe me, those losses will more than make up for Tufts' annual bills (which I do admit are extremely pricey). If reputation is your concern (which I hope it is not, but to each their own), know that Tufts is a highly respected medical school, and with sufficient effort, you will be competitive for any speciality that is of interest to you. >

Greonis gets this 100% right. You are damn lucky to get into any medical school. I had similar stats to yours several years ago and only got into 3 schools, after applying to 15 or so, and only got maybe 4 or 5 interviews. You have to realize that just b/c you looked at the average stats for some schools and thought you were competitive, that doesn't mean you'll get in there. There are plenty of people with similar stats to the accepted people who didn't get in. You erred by mainly applying to top 30 schools. I also think the adcoms were probably looking for some distinctive story in your app. that they didn't see, and perhaps your LOR's weren't great either. Obviously your app. was good or you wouldn't have gotten in anywhere.

It also doesn't matter much where you go to medical school, and Tufts is a perfectly fine school. I went to one of those supposedly "top 5" medical schools, and I'm telling you I don't think the teaching or educational experience is necessarily any better at all, and the residency placements aren't necessarily that much better either. I mean, you might have a higher chance to do residency at a "famous" place, but to be honest IMHO the northeast residencies like the northeast schools anyway. Harvard might prefer a Tufts person who did well @their school vs. a Duke or Washington U or Mayo person anyhow.

Tufts is very expensive, but since you presumably don't qualify for instate tuition anywhere, you're going to pay a lot no matter where you go. If you wait another year, you'll just pay more because of the tuition inflation that happens every year. The best thing to do is go there, and be careful to limit your spending, get a roommate at least the first year or two, etc. Don't get into credit card debt. Try to save up a little money before you go to pay for books an incidental expenses for the first semester.

Agree w/ the above/last comment about the military. The military and primary care scholarships are fine if you REALLY want that type of career and are 100% sure about it. However, they WILL get their pound of flesh. Sometimes military folks are forced to do a residency they don't want...the military knows how many surgeons, dermatologists, etc. that it needs and if it needs a pediatrician instead, it can make you do pediatrics (for example). Similarly, the primary care scholarships sponsored by the US gov't will hold you to your promise to do primary care. If you don't do it, they'll make you pay back all your loan money with extra interest.

I don't think medical schools will "know" you already applied last year if you choose to reapply, but I'm not 100% sure. I seriously doubt Tufts would entertain another application from you. I seriously think it would be a very bad decision not to take the offer at Tufts. A very bad decision indeed.

btw tufts is so nice!!! was there something beyond the price that you did not like about it? yes it is one of the most expensive schools, but the difference is like 5,000 a year? and they average indebtedness upon graduation does not appear to be larger than the national average no?

Thank you all for your responses. After I read your comments, I've been thinking about my decision, and have come to the conclusion that reapplying is absolutely unnecessary. Also, I'm thankful that I have atleast one acceptance, and there is still some time left in the app cycle for me to wait if I have to :)

The only problem for me with Tufts was its expenses and maybe the location. I've never lived in a big city before, so that just caught my mind. But other than that, I agree Tufts is an awesome school, and if I do go there, I look forward to it :love:

Thank you all for your responses. After I read your comments, I've been thinking about my decision, and have come to the conclusion that reapplying is absolutely unnecessary. Also, I'm thankful that I have atleast one acceptance, and there is still some time left in the app cycle for me to wait if I have to :)

The only problem for me with Tufts was its expenses and maybe the location. I've never lived in a big city before, so that just caught my mind. But other than that, I agree Tufts is an awesome school, and if I do go there, I look forward to it :love:
thankfully boston is not a "big city" like NYC is.. its like a ... big small town. lol.
(no offense meant.. just my opinion of it)

Here's a suggestion

Cyanide

and lots of it.

You already got into a Medical School. Reality of the situation is that there is nothing you can do that would "improve" yourself any other time because you wouldn't have any legitimate answer for not going when you applied this year. Defer from Medical School forever, imo.