need HELP (plz)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ripmysociallife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT score back today and while I am thrilled it has brought up a little bit of an issue

I scored a 522, my cGPA is 3.83, sGPA is 3.7ish I'm not sure exactly but low 3.7. Anyways, because of this my scores are above 90th percentile for a lot of schools that fit my GPA, whereas my GPA falls below the median a lot of top schools. I have decent ECs but nothing show-stopping, but now I am really struggling with a school list. If I'm above the 90th percentile will schools think I am using them as a safety or is this just a myth?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

No such thing as a safety in the med school world. I have friends with scores above the 90th percentile at certain schools and they got accepted there

Just apply broadly to top tier and mid tier schools and see where you land.

Members don't see this ad :)
State residency? Start there and radiate outward. Pick some good reach schools among private schools you want to attend. Use LizzyM/WARS and other tools on SDN.
FL, applying all 8 IS for sure (might withdraw my application from Nova MD though due to low class size and not a real in-state preference)
Thank you though :)

No such thing as a safety in the med school world. I have friends with scores above the 90th percentile at certain schools and they got accepted there

Just apply broadly to top tier and mid tier schools and see where you land.
I 100% agree there are no safeties, just worried schools might think this but thank you for the advice :)

If your GPA and MCAT are well outside the norm for students who historically enroll in their program you may encounter that. It’s similar to what happens when TX residents apply OOS. You may encounter this from schools but not all of them.

In addition to your Florida MD schools I suggest these OOS schools:
Emory
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Duke
U Virginia
Case Western
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Pittsburgh
U Michigan
Rochester
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Kaiser

Reactions: 1 user
In addition to your Florida MD schools I suggest these OOS schools:
Emory
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Duke
U Virginia
Case Western
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Pittsburgh
U Michigan
Rochester
Boston University
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Kaiser
Thank you so much! I had some of these on a potential list so that makes me feel better! Do you think I would have a shot at Baylor? I know they still favor IS but their OOS tuition would be nice