I NEED ADVICE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JYoung2857

TO BE OR NOT TO BE
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new to posting on SDN, so take it easy. So to sum things up, I'm 28 years old and I work as a Registered Nurse within the critical care setting both in the hospital and out in the field. I've been working as a nurse for about four years, and I want to change careers. My journey into nursing school wasn't an easy feat! I am an Academic Minority, and the first to earn a Bachelor's Degree.

My grades sucked in high school and I was unprepared for the rigors of college. I attended an in-state school through the chance program, and flunked out after my second semester. My cGPA was 1.97. I preceded to a Community College following my dismissal, and picked random classes and earned a cGPA of 2.5. I left that Community College and entered another one with a similar cGPA of 1.98. Fast forward, I found a RN program who only went off test scores and I tested into the program and graduated with my Associates of Science in Nursing earning a 3.79. and also enrolled in the RN-BSN program, earning my Bachelor's with a 3.5.

I applied to one Post-Bac Program and was denied. I applied to a Caribbean Medical School and was accepted. I instantly thought this is a bad idea, because I'm academically weak. I have nothing to prove that I can handle the rigors of medical school. So I thought to myself, why not supersede the minimum requirements for Medical School by completing a second bachelor's instead of trying to do a diy post-bacc since most programs probably won't let me in.

I know many posters may suggest just give up, and do a nurse prac program. I'm already in one and even though they made my state full practice, I really don't see anything special about being a nurse prac.

Members don't see this ad.

Not the worst situation, whats your cGPA without any retakes (counting all courses.)
Sounds like the next step is to enroll in a 4 year univ and start chemistry1/2-->Organic1/2-->Biochem.