I need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnichols0330

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused. I did my undergrad work at a small private University. I have a 3.8 science GPA and a 3.9 overall. I have a 4.0 in my post-bacc work. The kicker is that I haven't taken organic chem yet. I took the MCAT in April and it broke down like this VR-10, PS-7, BS-5, WS-O. I don't think that I have much of a chance to get in this year, but my dilemma is should I invest the time, money, and effort into taking Organic Chemistry and studying for the MCAT again and take it next April, or should I simply give up. Also, should I go ahead and apply this year to let the Adcoms see my name?
Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

You should never have taken the MCAT without taking organic chemistry first. Aside from that, most if not all med schools require organic chemistry as a prerequisite. You did so well in the VR, which tends to give the most trouble (that I've heard of). My advice is to take organic chem (and other classes that you may have skipped) and take the MCAT again. You have what it takes. Go for it.

Are you planning on taking organic this semester and next? If not, I would recommend it. Then, retake the MCAT and apply. I think you may be wasting your money if you apply this year. I do know of a couple of people who gained admission with a 21-22 MCAT, but I think their scores were a little more balanced and I know their BS scores were higher. If I were you, I would just hang out for a year; take organic chem, retake the MCAT in April (or even next August; but your initial score may hurt you if you do this because it will be the only one reported) and go from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the other posts. Take organic chem and then re-take the MCAT. Historically, the BS section is at least 50% organic (and sometimes more). So, if you take the class and then retake the MCAT, you should be in a good position. Good luck!

I would definitely advise taking o-chem and retaking the MCAT. It sounds like you've come pretty far already, so why would want to give up now? Also, give yourself plenty of time to study for the MCAT -- your PS score could probably improve some as well. As for applying now, I honestly think it would not be a worthwhile investment of time and money. Use those resources towards taking your necessary science courses, and studying for the MCAT. Good luck.

Don't even bother applying this year! Since you haven't even taken organic yet, 90% of med schools will reject you right away, regardless of your stats (b/c you don't have their prereqs and don't intend to have it). The ones that don't require prereqs will probably reject you cuz of your mcat score.