I need all the advice I can get

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss Lovewell

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! My counselours at school are incompetent, so I'm trying to find information on my own. I'm planning to be an OBGYN, but as of now, am still in highschool. I'm sixteen, going to be a junior, and frankly quite clueless, about what I should do about the process of becoming a doctor. I have good grades, (a 3.8) and thanks to next years honors classes, hopefully my GPA will rise. But I'm trying to shoot for UofIC since it has the most bang for my buck, and University of Chicago seems too expensive for me. So at this point, is there anything I need to worry about in highschool? Certain classes I need to take as far as math and sciences go? Also, are there any classes that I should take in college that would help me on my way to medschool? And does the MCAT seem quite difficult by the time it must be taken? (When will I take it?) Sorry if it seems like I'm asking too many questions, but I want to milk this thread for all it's worth. Have a nice evening.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to the University of Chicago for undergrad, and loved it! If you're interested in a broad liberal arts education (and don't want to become pigeon-holed into a "pre-med" sensibility) if is a great place.

As far as high school goes, there are no specific requirements - relax, and focus on doing well in courses and extracurriculars in order to get into a college that matches your interests and personality. Once in college, major in whatever you like - an interesting, non-generic major will actually give you an advantage in standing out from the crowd, so go ahead and major in Renaissance literature or French or whatever you like :) Just take your basic science requirements - biology, chemistry, physics, math, and biochem is optional. You will take MCAT the year before you apply, either April or August. Getting into medical school will be based upon GPA, letters, MCAT, and activities/research, etc.

Don't worry about what field within medicine just yet - I was one of the (really) few people who came into med school thinking OB and stuck with it. Most people completely change their minds during clinical years (think they're going to be orthopedic surgeons, end up being psychiatrists). I LOVE OB and think it's the best field ever! Surgery and primary care, patients who range from completely healthy to incredibly ill (gyn onc). But you may discover something that suits you better. Or you may discover in college that you want to be a performance artist. Don't box yourself in! Enjoy college, and keep an open mind. Good luck!

Miss Lovewell said:
Hello Everyone! My counselours at school are incompetent, so I'm trying to find information on my own. I'm planning to be an OBGYN, but as of now, am still in highschool. I'm sixteen, going to be a junior, and frankly quite clueless, about what I should do about the process of becoming a doctor. I have good grades, (a 3.8) and thanks to next years honors classes, hopefully my GPA will rise. But I'm trying to shoot for UofIC since it has the most bang for my buck, and University of Chicago seems too expensive for me. So at this point, is there anything I need to worry about in highschool? Certain classes I need to take as far as math and sciences go? Also, are there any classes that I should take in college that would help me on my way to medschool? And does the MCAT seem quite difficult by the time it must be taken? (When will I take it?) Sorry if it seems like I'm asking too many questions, but I want to milk this thread for all it's worth. Have a nice evening.

keep up the hard work throughout college & major in something that interests you (i was an art major & bio double for fulfulling the med school the pre-recs, continued to regularly travel including graduating a year early to travel abroad, & even took ballet every week up until med school!!!).

as far as pursuing medical interests in ob/gyn, for now, i would say, start volunteering with a women's health organization (i am a big planned parenthood fan) in your free time, but dont feel like you have to work like every day, or even every week during stressful times of your life leading up to med school. see if you like caring for female patients, & trust me, youll learn a ton from these experiences that you cant learn in the classroom

in themeantime, broaden your interests & keep an open mind. youll be fine & keep that enthusiasm! people will try to kill it, but screw them! :) also, find a good mentor, a doctor that you admire or older student that has accomplished some of the goals you aspire too but who seems cool & happy (steer clear of the bitter people!!!)

good luck & email if you need anything

PS-NYC girl, can you tell me about your home programs??? talk to me about columbia, einstein, cornell, sinai, nyu, etc in terms of atmosphere, patient pop, overall reputation, & where will try to make me cry vs. where will help me become an awesome doc... thanks so much for your words of local wisdom!!!.... feel free to place in a separate post. thx