I Need Desperate Help on Where to Start a Career Studying CMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scribbles24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction because I don't know where to start.

I'm not necessarily a HS student at the moment nor am I a college student anymore.

I tried my luck with Pharmacy 2 years ago but never made it far. That was due in part to my lack of effort and disinterest. I was young...

I'm now 21 years old. Good thing is that I finally know what I want to do with my life!

I want to study something that hits home to me and that's Congenital Muscular Dystrophy.

I've been diagnosed with CMD my entire life and never really looked into it much but I got a calling of sorts when I met someone last week who also has CMD and I realized how lucky I am too have have "survived" CMD. Well it's not really surviving, but I'm far better off than most. Thank God.

I want to help those who are diagnosed with CMD; whether it be cures, or prevention. I can relate to them because I, too, went through the hardships of growing up with this condition. I think my experience and expertise could be greatly used.

Question is now: Where do I go about to study this in particular?

Members don't see this ad.

Ph.D. in biology at an institution where someone is studying CMD.

I think that your question will be likely to receive the best variety of helpful answers in the Non-Traditional Student forum. I'll move it there for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks.

I don't think CMD is even a Major, so I don't know which schools offer that specifically.

I want that to be the focal point of my studies though.

Any suggestions? NYC area would be most ideal location for me. I want to be close to home.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction because I don't know where to start.

I'm not necessarily a HS student at the moment nor am I a college student anymore.

I tried my luck with Pharmacy 2 years ago but never made it far. That was due in part to my lack of effort and disinterest. I was young...

I'm now 21 years old. Good thing is that I finally know what I want to do with my life!

I want to study something that hits home to me and that's Congenital Muscular Dystrophy.

I've been diagnosed with CMD my entire life and never really looked into it much but I got a calling of sorts when I met someone last week who also has CMD and I realized how lucky I am too have have "survived" CMD. Well it's not really surviving, but I'm far better off than most. Thank God.

I want to help those who are diagnosed with CMD; whether it be cures, or prevention. I can relate to them because I, too, went through the hardships of growing up with this condition. I think my experience and expertise could be greatly used.

Question is now: Where do I go about to study this in particular?

Your jump off point is to obtain a degree in Biology, Immunology or Molecular Biology with the intent on attending graduate school. You should then apply for graduate studies in Biomedical Research at a very strong university so that you can obtain exposure to a wide variety of reseach disciplines.

After that, apply for a post-doc at NIH with any PI (Principle Investigator) that is working on this entity. You can go the the NIH website (NIH) [The NIAMS National Institute Arthritis,Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases NIAMS]and see which institute is doing the area of research that would be of most interest to you. There are summer programs and all sorts of research experiences an opportunities for folks who have good academic skills and interests in discovering new things. Have a look at this program in the NIAMS: NIAMS Summer Research Program. This looks like it was made for you.

Wow thank you so much! I really needed that! Now I can go about finding the appropriate school for me to start my journey.

Thanks again :)