I Need Everyone's Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briansmichaud

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay...my parents are trying to tell me i need to work in medical school. :D they think i am lying when i say people do not work. :rolleyes:

please help me out and tell them that it is a full time commitment.

tell them the truth and i will email them the link to this thread!!

thank you everyone.... :)

Members don't see this ad.

briansmichaud said:
okay...my parents are trying to tell me i need to work in medical school. :D they think i am lying when i say people do not work. :rolleyes:

You absolutely should NOT work during medical school, unless it is a very part time job, and preferably one where you can at least half-study, like a job on campus at the study room building front desk.

You will always be fighting for time, especially with all the OMM, path, and anatomy stuff piled onto your normal classwork. I'd wait AT LEAST until the first few months were under your belt before you even think about a job.

Your time is worth way, way more than any job you will get in med school is going to pay you. When you have some free time (lol, that's a good one -- free time!), for heaven's sake, have some FUN. You're going to work most of the rest of your life.

briansmichaud said:

thats ******ed

noone works in medical school

a. you have no time

b. you will make enough money as a doctor

c. you study 20 hours a day minimum----work or sleep?

Members don't see this ad :)
swweeeeet!!! thanks guys. i can't believe one of you said a desk job!!! :mad: hahaha my parents are going to roll on that one!! you need to edit your post...quick!!!!!

keep it coming everyone...i am going to email this link to my parents tomorrow.

believe me, i can't wait.

i owe you all one.

briansmichaud said:
swweeeeet!!! thanks guys. i can't believe one of you said a desk job!!! :mad: hahaha my parents are going to roll on that one!! you need to edit your post...quick!!!!!

keep it coming eveyone...i am going to email this link to my parents tomorrow.

believe me, i can't wait.

i owe you all one.

:) The truth is, even if you work the desk somewhere, you will really wish you didn't before too long, especially once you get to know people. You'll never get any studying done, or at least that's what all my friends who work the study building desk are always in a snit about.

Jobs are for the people who aren't in medical school!

Saying "you won't be THAT busy in medical school" is like saying "childbirth can't hurt THAT much" At an osteopathic school, you'll blink at it will be at the end of your first year, or at least that's how it has been for me this year. 1 more section left after next week, then I'll be a mighty MS-II !!!

Only a few people (medic/PA/RN) in my class have very part time jobs (1 24 hour shift one weekend a month for example) - other than that, you just don't work. Not enough time! Tell your parents that it's totally wrong to expect you to work in school. - that's why our financial aid package includes quite a bit over the actual cost (UNE = $33, loan = $55)...

furthermore...what if i really want to go all out for the comlex and usmle, do all of you really think a job would be conducive to awesome scores if one is capable of them????

I say don't work period..

Why your parents want you to get a job? What is up with that. I am not rich at all.. but still don't understand how you are going to work and study and let out frustration and find a hobby to deal with the stress and everything else.

Often, people with serious extra stuff going on outside of school (jobs, having to care for a sick relative, being a single parent, anything at all that consumes more than a few hours a week of your time) end up either not doing very well, dropping out, or failing out. There are the rare exceptions, but you really don't want to find out if you are going to be one of them or not.

Unless you are Einstein or Superman/woman, I do not recommend having a job.

briansmichaud said:

is it really up to your parents if you work or not? after all you are the one in medical school. Are your parents helping you out at all? is there help conditional that you get a job?
you are going to have a long lifetime to work and being a doctor you are going to work alot (50+ hours a week) I worked 2 jobs all during my undergrad. I say give your full attention to medical school and not makeing $7.50 at Taco bell.
my $.02

drtongue_danger said:
is it really up to your parents if you work or not? after all you are the one in medical school. Are your parents helping you out at all? is there help conditional that you get a job?
you are going to have a long lifetime to work and being a doctor you are going to work alot (50+ hours a week) I worked 2 jobs all during my undergrad. I say give your full attention to medical school and not makeing $7.50 at Taco bell.
my $.02

nope...not up to them at all. i just wanted them to have a reality check and hear from others how hard medical school is. i will be living off loans...not them. they just think i can make my situation better by having a job.

they just don't know any better. but after reading everyones' posts, i think they will have a better understanding.

thanks!!

jonb12997 said:
that's why our financial aid package includes quite a bit over the actual cost (UNE = $33, loan = $55)...

4 years of med school for 220 bucks? damn, i don't think i'd even need a loan for that. too bad i didn't go with UNE.

Members don't see this ad :)
briansmichaud said:

Brian,
NO do not work. I am an instructor and through my experience with students, those that work have a harder time in school. One of my students tried to work his way through medical school with a full time job and also had a large family. He failed some courses and had to redo his first semester in his second year, then when he reached the second semster the next year, he had a nervous breakdown and had to drop out of school.
I had also tried working part-time when I was a student...I couldn't do it. :(
It is hard enough being a medical student, without having to work also.

Do your parents realize that only 2 years are done in classrooms? The other 2 being that you ARE working?....sometimes 60+hrs/week? And not only are you doing this.....youre actually PAYING SOMEONE ELSE to do it?
Then again, I dont know why it matters to your parents. Thats just stupid.

thanks everyone. i think they got the hint now. this is just new to them. no one in my family is a doctor or anything. they see that i have worked quite a bit during my undergrad and grad school and think that i can do the same in med school.

i know its different...i think they see that now

thanks for the posts!!

To the parents of the OP:

YOUR SON/DAUGHTER WOULD BE CRAZY TO TRY TO WORK DURING MEDICAL SCHOOL. Medical school is not just another "job" or "task" but its truly a lifestyle. Time is so valuable and one must learn to manage it very delicately - there is simply not enough time in the day to study and work and take a breath. My father wanted me to work in medical school also. However, when I started leaving him messages at 1:30AM daily for a week after a long day of studyin - he got the picture. Although you may not study this much (or you might) there just simply isnt enough time!! Take our word for it or call the academic dean at your planned medical school an ask.

care

Learn to grow up and not worry what your parents think! How old are you anyway?

MoosePilot said:
Learn to grow up and not worry what your parents think! How old are you anyway?

its not that. i am mature and i will be 28 soon. my parents have helped me considerably through college. they have a right to know these things and i value their opinion of me. they know nothing about medical school.

i thought a quick post on here would get a handful of responses i could show to them. that's all

we can end this thread...i am sure my parents appreciate all your comments and so do i.

thanks again

briansmichaud said:
its not that. i am mature and i will be 28 soon. my parents have helped me considerably through college. they have a right to know these things and i value their opinion of me. they know nothing about medical school.

i thought a quick post on here would get a handful of responses i could show to them. that's all

we can end this thread...i am sure my parents appreciate all your comments and so do i.

thanks again

See, I don't get this. I tell my friends or my parents "It doesn't really work like that." and they believe me. Do your parents not work that way? I mean with me, the exchange (first if my parents gave a crap and then if they didn't believe me) might go like this:

"So, Moose, what kind of job are you going to get while you go to med school?"

"I'm not going to work. Med school is pretty consuming, I won't really have time to work."

"Right.... :rolleyes: You're just going to slack is what you're telling us?"

"Yep. I'm behind on my slackin' right now, see ya."

You're 28. You don't care. If they think you're lying and need some random anonymous posters' assurance over their sons, then they're f'd up in the head! Who am I? You don't know and neither do your parents!! We could all be your extra accounts. How messed up is your family, anyway?

Hey, parents, learn to trust your kid so at 28 he doesn't try to prove himself by appealing to an anonymous crowd for endorsements.

MoosePilot said:
See, I don't get this. I tell my friends or my parents "It doesn't really work like that." and they believe me. Do your parents not work that way? I mean with me, the exchange (first if my parents gave a crap and then if they didn't believe me) might go like this:

"So, Moose, what kind of job are you going to get while you go to med school?"

"I'm not going to work. Med school is pretty consuming, I won't really have time to work."

"Right.... :rolleyes: You're just going to slack is what you're telling us?"

"Yep. I'm behind on my slackin' right now, see ya."

You're 28. You don't care. If they think you're lying and need some random anonymous posters' assurance over their sons, then they're f'd up in the head! Who am I? You don't know and neither do your parents!! We could all be your extra accounts. How messed up is your family, anyway?

Hey, parents, learn to trust your kid so at 28 he doesn't try to prove himself by appealing to an anonymous crowd for endorsements.

Geeze, cut the guy some slack. His question was a legitimate question. His parents may not know anything about medical school, but from their point of view, neither would their son since he's also never been to medical school. It doesn't seem unreasonable for them to say "how you do know you can't work during school?" Well, a good way to know (as opposed to just thinking) what it's like is to ask those who are already there.

LadyDoc said:
Geeze, cut the guy some slack. His question was a legitimate question. His parents may not know anything about medical school, but from their point of view, neither would their son since he's also never been to medical school. It doesn't seem unreasonable for them to say "how you do know you can't work during school?" Well, a good way to know (as opposed to just thinking) what it's like is to ask those who are already there.

Actually I agree with MP. Sure you can ask others, but does that matter? If you dont want to work, then you dont have to. Thats what loans are for. As an adult it shouldnt have anything to do with your parents.
Ive always wondered why its so difficult for certain people to cut the cord. Ive known 30 somethings that still have to get their parents approval for things, or cannot move away from a certain city cause that would upset the family. Give me a break....its your life.
stomper

Just tell them that doing well your first year and rocking the boards will be more valuable in the long run than any job could ever be.

LadyDoc said:

Well, if he wasn't sure, I understand him asking. I just don't understand needing proof for your parents. My parents are anything but model, but they believe me when I tell them something. If they don't, then I don't reward them for doubting me by jumping through hoops to prove what I say.

briansmichaud said:

i would wager you have some growing up to do. you should not be in a position that you feel compelled to justify your actions to your parents. furthermore, if your parents can believe some rambling of random people on the internet they have never met, all which could even be you for all they know, then they are showing that they also have no legit reason for dictating you to do anything. how old are you?

now like the lemming i am, most ppl do not work while in medical school. some do for limited amounts, typical not for monetary reward however, but for exercise, or research, or making contacts. if you get a job making 8 bucks an hour, screw up a test that keeps you from the 160 dollar an hour job as a doctor you wanted, do you really think the extra 8 bucks you made will be worth it? and that is just attempting to justify solely with money, what about job satisfaction, contribution to society, etc etc....

oh yea.. and duh... you are gonna be up in kcom... you have been there before i assume... did you notice the size of the town?? id guess the likelyhood of finding a job during the school year would be very poor.

i think it is very good to involve your family in things, but to allow them to tell you what you will and will not do is wrong, especially at this stage of the game.

LadyDoc said:

i agree with you for the most part. but the reasoning FOR the question is bad. he has apparently already decided to not work and is trying to find justification to quiet his parents to that end. i think that is wrong.

also, his parents reasoning in this example is bad since, their son got accepted to medical school and they have no experience at all in medical school. so in that respect the son should have a much greater knowledge than they do. so they are wrong for doubting him.

ok...ladydoc nailed it. a few others have not. cut me some slack. a few of you guys act like i was asking your opinion on marrying a woman my parents did not approve of!!!! i make my own decisions in life...like being a physician. my parents never went to school nor are there doctors of any kind in my family...that was my own decision.

for your info, my parents still help me with some financial situations. it cost me 700 to go to one interview. sorry, i don't have that kind of money and neither do they. so i don't need to cut any cords, except maybe a financial one. that will happen as soon as aid starts in august.

if you want any more personal info, call me at 480 654 2264

this whole thread i started was lame...i know. but it certainly is not the lamest i have seen. it was the quickest thing i could do to get some comments from others.

nevertheless, i appreciate you taking the time to read and post. :)

ps i have no growing up to do...i am almost 28 if you read the previous posts you would see that!!! so quit bashing me ;)

briansmichaud said:
ok...ladydoc nailed it. a few others have not. cut me some slack. a few of you guys act like i was asking your opinion on marrying a woman my parents did not approve of!!!! i make my own decisions in life...like being a physician. my parents never went to school nor are there doctors of any kind in my family...that was my own decision.

for your info, my parents still help me with some financial situations. it cost me 700 to go to one interview. sorry, i don't have that kind of money and neither do they. so i don't need to cut any cords, except maybe a financial one. that will happen as soon as aid starts in august.

if you want any more personal info, call me at

this whole thread i started was lame...i know. but it certainly is not the lamest i have seen. it was the quickest thing i could do to get some comments from others.

nevertheless, i appreciate you taking the time to read and post. :)

ps i have no growing up to do...i am almost 28 if you read the previous posts you would see that!!! so quit bashing me ;)

but why do you have to justify things like this to your parents. it is like getting their permission to cross the street or go over to a sleepover or something... sorry. i didnt mean to bash. just seems weird to me, this is your life, as in YOUR life not your parents..... oh well...

if i were you id tak that phone number off... not all the people who lurk these forums are good people.....

cooldreams said:
but why do you have to justify things like this to your parents. it is like getting their permission to cross the street or go over to a sleepover or something... sorry. i didnt mean to bash. just seems weird to me, this is your life, as in YOUR life not your parents..... oh well...

if i were you id tak that phone number off... not all the people who lurk these forums are good people.....

do you think it was wrong for me to call them up in connecticut last night to ask if i could go to happy hour today with friends from work? just wondering :laugh:

its justified in the sense that they just cosigned a rather large loan so i can pay off credit card debt and relax and focus come august. so anything finacial i DO justify with them at least until the medical loans start.

like i said, i didn't ask them what kind of car i should buy, what i should be when i grow up, what i should major in, who i should date, etc...

i can't believe people were speculating that i have growing up to do. :D

i am trying to be nice about this whole thing...i could have started a nasty flame war. but i am not like that. in fact this is my last post on this thread...it turned lame (it was lame to begin with, it just got lamer)

i could care less who has my phone number 480-654-2264. half of the time i just listen to it ring!!! hahahhaha what are they going to do with it?? its publically listed anyway... :) it will be changed when i move to kirksville

but i thank you guys for trying to psychoanalyze me...i'll take all points into consideration :p

briansmichaud said:
do you think it was wrong for me to call them up in connecticut last night to ask if i could go to happy hour today with friends from work? just wondering :laugh:

its justified in the sense that they just cosigned a rather large loan so i can pay off credit card debt and relax and focus come august. so anything finacial i DO justify with them at least until the medical loans start.

like i said, i didn't ask them what kind of car i should buy, what i should be when i grow up, what i should major in, who i should date, etc...

i can't believe people were speculating that i have growing up to do. :D

i am trying to be nice about this whole thing...i could have started a nasty flame war. but i am not like that. in fact this is my last post on this thread...it turned lame (it was lame to begin with, it just got lamer)

i could care less who has my phone number . half of the time i just listen to it ring!!! hahahhaha what are they going to do with it?? its publically listed anyway... :) it will be changed when i move to kirksville

but i thank you guys for trying to psychoanalyze me...i'll take all points into consideration :p
'

your phone number...... i just wrote you a pm...

Gawd!!! Just leave this kid alone already! His question and idea to use the forumn posts for his parents was very clever. You all sure know how to be helpful and make new members/medical students feel welcome to the forumns.

To the OP - it really doesnt matter what anyone else says, you will ultimately have the job of convincing your parents. As I stated in my post above, I had a similar parent reaction when I was a first and second year (and still now during my third and fourth years). However, I just had to stand my ground and show them that there was absolutely nothing else I could do except study. For some reason, I think they will come around eventually on their own. Try to have them speak with another medical students' parents.

Don't take all that you hear/read on this forumn too seriously BTW - there are a lot of "little" people who like to feel really big on here.

Good luck with medical school!

care

Careofme said:
Gawd!!! Just leave this kid alone already! His question and idea to use the forumn posts for his parents was very clever. You all sure know how to be helpful and make new members/medical students feel welcome to the forumns.

To the OP - it really doesnt matter what anyone else says, you will ultimately have the job of convincing your parents. As I stated in my post above, I had a similar parent reaction when I was a first and second year (and still now during my third and fourth years). However, I just had to stand my ground and show them that there was absolutely nothing else I could do except study. For some reason, I think they will come around eventually on their own. Try to have them speak with another medical students' parents.

Don't take all that you hear/read on this forumn too seriously BTW - there are a lot of "little" people who like to feel really big on here.

Good luck with medical school!

care

this thread was more-or-less started as a 'playful' one...i was never in dire need. geesh. my parents would not make me do anything. i just simply didn't want them living a thousand miles away wondering why their stubborn son won't get a job like "50%" of the other medical students.

it is very annoying to have posters on here tell me, at 27 years of age, working a full-time graveyard job and part-time day job, taking a masters class, and studying for the august mcat that i have growing up to do. :D

okay...i hope it happens before fall.

briansmichaud said:
this thread was more-or-less started as a 'playful' one...i was never in dire need. geesh. my parents would not make me do anything. i just simply didn't want them living a thousand miles away wondering why their stubborn son won't get a job like "50%" of the other medical students.

it is very annoying to have posters on here tell me, at 27 years of age, working a full-time graveyard job and part-time day job, taking a masters class, and studying for the august mcat that i have growing up to do. :D

You're taking the MCAT in August instead of April?! Geeze, grow up! :D j/k
Working in a graveyard should help you if you want to be a pathologist... :laugh:

briansmichaud said:

The fact that you're 27 and can hold a job doesn't mean you don't still have ways in which you need to grow up. I stand by my comments and believe I have explained them adequately. If you didn't want them wondering, explain the issue. Don't rope a bunch of anonymous screen names into your family matters.

MoosePilot said:
The fact that you're 27 and can hold a job doesn't mean you don't still have ways in which you need to grow up. I stand by my comments and believe I have explained them adequately. If you didn't want them wondering, explain the issue. Don't rope a bunch of anonymous screen names into your family matters.

what does moosepilot mean?

briansmichaud said:
what does moosepilot mean?

Where does my screen name come from? "Moose" is the aircrews' nickname for the C-17. I fly C-17s for the Air Force, although I'm trying to get into USUHS or failing that a civilian medical school on HPSP.

Huh? I worked 20-30 hours per week in med school. It's called "self-discipline" and "time-management".