Need Help: what should I consider when deciding on 3rd year rotation sites?

Started by medpmy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I think it honestly depends on what you want to pursue for residency in the future and what connections are available at your rotation sites. If you are aiming for a specialty that relies on connections (higher competitive specialities typically rely more on those connections) then being somewhere unconnected may affect you some. That said, I pursued residency at a program in a different state in which I had never previously lived and only was “connected” to the program because of a shared undergrad connection with one of their current residences. Connections don’t have to come from your rotations, you can make them other ways too.

However, having school-age kids, you also want to seriously consider what is conducive to your family life too and not discount that. Best of luck!
 
I think it honestly depends on what you want to pursue for residency in the future and what connections are available at your rotation sites. If you are aiming for a specialty that relies on connections (higher competitive specialities typically rely more on those connections) then being somewhere unconnected may affect you some. That said, I pursued residency at a program in a different state in which I had never previously lived and only was “connected” to the program because of a shared undergrad connection with one of their current residences. Connections don’t have to come from your rotations, you can make them other ways too.

However, having school-age kids, you also want to seriously consider what is conducive to your family life too and not discount that. Best of luck!
Thank you.