I need final advice on reapplying please!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cargirl110

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read the sticky on reapplicant FAQs and need some final advice.

I graduated from IU in May 2007. I received one D and two C's during my senior year because I battled anorexia. I am now recovered. I wrote about that experience and its effect on my grades in my PS briefly. I applied during the 2007-2008 cycle, but my MCAT score was too low (24M) so I did not get any interviews. I retook the MCAT and received a 30N, but I got an 8 in VR. My BCPM is 3.54 and AO is 3.5. I have a strong research background and good clinical experiences. I planned on applying in July 2007 after I received my scores, but I was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and was in the hospital for a month. I didn't have much energy after being discharged, so my AMCAS wasn't verfied until mid-October. I have finally decided not to retake the MCAT. I plan on applying early and broadly (~40 schools). I will rewrite my PS and EC/activities, but my LORs will stay the same. I haven't been doing much since the accident with my boyfriend. I have been trying to restart my clinical experience, but I have been turned down by every doctor I inquire about shadowing. And I don't live near any universities or colleges where I could continue/do research. I've applied for jobs in the hospital, but have yet to hear back since January. I will keep trying.

1. Will the 8 in VR really hurt my chances for an interview?
2. Will using the same LORs hurt me? I haven't had the opportunity to get another letter from anyone else.
3. What else can I do to assure the success of this application cycle as much as possible?
4. What should I do in the meantime?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I know it was long. I appreciate your feedback.
 
Your stats are a little below average, but applying broadly should get you some interviews. the 8 shouldn't hurt too much. I wouldn't retake if I was you. You made great improvement in this area, so I wouldn't risk a possible lower score. Try to find out if you have strong LORs. If you are using a pre-med advisor to process the letters, perhaps they can give you some feedback.

So what have you been doing for the last year?
I know it can be hard finding that first job after college, but try to find something so med schools don't think you've been doing nothing.
 
I did rehab for the last half of the year after my accident. During that time, I tutored math at the local high school. Now, I am trying to just find some clinical experience via shadowing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you have a decent shot.

GPA is close. MCAT is right there. Verbal may hurt a little.

Had to overcome a bad accident that hurt your application process last year but you are back! Eating Disorder....overcome. This is gold if you work it into the personal statement. I think the LORs are fine. I mean you are not in class now.

Right now, you need to get some clinical experience. Find a free medical clinic and work there or volunteer at a hospital in the ER. Then, find a job that makes money for you to live on. I found that working for free impresses more. Just think: I got off from work and then went and "volunteered" for several hours at the free clinic. Anytime you can do something for nothing it shows more commitment to helping others and being selfless. More gold!!

I did not have any medical experience and both those were willing to work with me especially the free clinic.

Apply broad and wide and I think you will get into a US MD somewhere. If not, I am almost positive you can get into a DO program.

:luck:
 
I also struggled with an eating disorder in college. It affected my GPA in my freshman and sophomore year and I had medical withdrawals. I wrote about my recovery in my personal statement and I explained why I had so many withdrawals. I was accepted into my state school, which was my first choice. It definitely is possible to overcome obstacles. Good luck in your reapplication.
 
I read the sticky on reapplicant FAQs and need some final advice.

I graduated from IU in May 2007. I received one D and two C's during my senior year because I battled anorexia. I am now recovered. I wrote about that experience and its effect on my grades in my PS briefly. I applied during the 2007-2008 cycle, but my MCAT score was too low (24M) so I did not get any interviews. I retook the MCAT and received a 30N, but I got an 8 in VR. My BCPM is 3.54 and AO is 3.5. I have a strong research background and good clinical experiences. I planned on applying in July 2007 after I received my scores, but I was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident and was in the hospital for a month. I didn't have much energy after being discharged, so my AMCAS wasn't verfied until mid-October. I have finally decided not to retake the MCAT. I plan on applying early and broadly (~40 schools). I will rewrite my PS and EC/activities, but my LORs will stay the same. I haven't been doing much since the accident with my boyfriend. I have been trying to restart my clinical experience, but I have been turned down by every doctor I inquire about shadowing. And I don't live near any universities or colleges where I could continue/do research. I've applied for jobs in the hospital, but have yet to hear back since January. I will keep trying.

1. Will the 8 in VR really hurt my chances for an interview?
2. Will using the same LORs hurt me? I haven't had the opportunity to get another letter from anyone else.
3. What else can I do to assure the success of this application cycle as much as possible?
4. What should I do in the meantime?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. I know it was long. I appreciate your feedback.

1. Yes; I'm sorry; it does .. I got an 8 too .. stinks
2. No, but obtaining new ones will help you
3. Early, early, early .. also, show interest, and nail the interview
4. Study for another go at the MCAT?
 
Have you considered a course-based master's to "up" the GPA? It often puts you in a different applicant pool as well and could give you the opportunity to get new LORs.