I need help: deciding on an MCAT prep course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would suggest studying on your own with TBR/TPR but if you really need the structure my friends have said good things about TPR. I personally found their Hyperlearning books to be helpful for both content review and practice passages!

I feel like a course is unnecessary. I took the TPR online course and it was good, but 99% of your MCAT prep is on your own anyway. The nice thing about the classes (with TPR at least) is they send you all their books (which are amazing) plus tons of online practice including all the AAMC FLs (8), AAMC Self Assessments, and all TPR FLs (11 I believe). Basically its an easy way to get all the stuff you need all at once, but the lectures themselves weren't that great. If you decide to forego the course, I would highly recommend self studying with SN2ed's schedule using TBR. I hate to be just another dude on the bandwagon, but I've read both TPR and TBR books, and TBR is just slightly better. Not to mention the passages felt closer to the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Under no circumstances should you enroll in Kaplan. It is not effective and it is not worth it.

I disagree. While I don't know about the classroom instruction, Kaplan's online material is top notch. They have in depth explanations with the answers and very challenging sections. Their bio section tests are very similar to AAMC BS sections. My only qualm about Kaplan's online stuff is their verbal. Stay away from Kaplan verbal! However, If you have Kaplan's online material, along with TPRH science workbook and the TBR set, you are golden for MCAT prep.

I disagree. While I don't know about the classroom instruction, Kaplan's online material is top notch. They have in depth explanations with the answers and very challenging sections. Their bio section tests are very similar to AAMC BS sections. My only qualm about Kaplan's online stuff is their verbal. Stay away from Kaplan verbal! However, If you have Kaplan's online material, along with TPRH science workbook and the TBR set, you are golden for MCAT prep.

+1..... Kaplan BS sections are great. Even PS sections are good. Since there are NO VR sections and their VR at other areas like FLs are :thumbdown:

Hmm, you've given me a lot to think about. I used Kaplan to prepare (sort of) for my SATs (not comparable, likely).

So I should seriously consider the Kaplan online course, have TPRH science and verbal workbooks, and the complete TBR set (which I'm in the process of purchasing)?

It is not perfect :p ....but it is close to most appropriate you can do! :thumbup:

Supplement with AAMC SA (VR), you should be good to go....

If you really need practice for VR, do all the 3rd parties VR in GS, PR, and Kapaln way at the beginning of study cycle before SA and AAMC FL as "practice only".

Well, nothing is perfect :p
I need a lot of review in PS and some Bio stuff unfortunately (seems I am very weak in cell biology)
Who knows with VR. I'll start with a few resources and amp it up as needed.

Just for another 2 cents comment.....You may want to take a close look with PR Biology book (sold on Amazon). It is not as dense as BR but clearer than others like EK.

Edit: Nova for physics? Chads for general overall? Take a look if you are back to the wall.

Last edited:
Well I signed up for the TPR LiveOnline Classes, its on sale and they have a special offer going on. I personally need a somewhat structured environment because I work.

I've used all 3 sets of books, Kaplan, TPR, and EK. I would rate the books as follows:

1. Examkrackers (best, most concise) - IMO, you should know everything EK covers in all subjects. EK has excellent physical sciences, verbal reasoning, and biological sciences.

(Once you have nearly mastered EK, if time remains, do the end of chapter TBR (Berkeley Review) physical science passages which has bumped people up from scoring in the early 30's to the late 30's or 40's, Princeton Review's verbal reasoning which is a little more difficult than EK, and Princeton Review's Biology.)

2. The Princeton Review (TPR). TPR is more advanced and less concise than EK IMO. TPR and EK have reputations for being the two best VR resources outside of AAMC material. TPR Biology is said to be very close to that on the current MCAT, which is more difficult than it use to be. For the physical science, I personally recommend Berkeley Review, EK, and Chad Videos over TPR.

3. Kaplan books are okay. Not the most concise or complete IMO, but relevant and fairly helpful across the board or in all subjects. If you use Kaplan's VR strategy, be aware that many people find it too time consuming. My solution was to make mental passage maps instead of writing notes.

Here's some free stuff I compiled that could be useful as well: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/free-stuff/1247592/

Good luck!

I plan on taking the MCAT in April.
What I have to choose from as far as classroom courses are concerned:
1. Kaplan
2. The Princeton Review
3. Examkrackers

They're all about the same in price and all virtually held in the same place, along side being about the same amount of time (about 10 weeks).

Now my question:
which one should I pick?

they all start in January and end in April.

Study TBR for Physical Sciences and Organic, EK for Bio as SN2ed's schedule suggests. For Verbal, the Princeton Review Workbook and EK 101 passages are the best. LSAT passages are also good. If you have problem areas, find a tutor, try your college tutoring services or craigslist.