Post Bacc MCAT prep schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superpike

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole premed thing as I'm a nontraditional student who is switching carer paths. I'll be quitting my full time job in a few weeks and taking the premed requirements full time over the next few semesters at a local university (no formal post bacc program). I have an academic plan set up for how to schedule the classes I'll be taking, which is the following:

Summer 2024​

Gen. Chem. 1 with lab
Gen. Chem. 2 with lab

Fall 2024​

Org. Chem. 1 with lab
Physics 1 with lab
Gen. Bio. 1 with lab
Statistics

Spring 2025​

Org. Chem. 2 with lab
Physics 2 with lab
Gen. Bio. 2 with lab

Fall 2025​

Biochemistry

The advisor who I spoke with said it would be fine to study biochemistry on my own and to apply to med schools stating that I'm currently taking it. I was just wondering how I should fit MCAT preparation into all of this. The advisor said I should take it sometime during summer 2025, but was vague about specifics. When should I start studying? What should my target test date be? I would prefer to take it on the earlier side, in case I want to retake it, and still have the ability to apply for Fall 2026 entry without placing myself at a disadvantage. I saw someone give the advice that it would be wise to apply early to a "throwaway" school which will allow AMCAS to verify transcripts without the need to apply blind. Once I get my score, I could add the appropriate schools (having prepared pre-written secondaries!). This will upload in a single business day. That seems like good advice.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend that you take the MCAT after you have completed the foundational courses (including biochem),
The AAMC FL exams are precious and few. They are also the best gauge of actual performance.
A single strong score is the best strategy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with gyngyn; don't leave unnecessary points on the table (and biochem has a lot of relevance!). Unfortunately, taking the MCAT after Biochem would make applying for fall 2026 entry a little unreasonable; see if you can take biochem earlier, if not wait, till the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you plan to cover the psychology/sociology concepts presented on the MCAT?

The only challenge you must face down is the time sink that didactic labs will have on your schedule. As a postbac non-degree you won't have a lot of priority picking your lab section times.

I would say if you have to take biochem in the summer, you can try that, but I'm not sure how you can still be on time and submit an MCAT when you need to.

Also what are your activities? Who will write your letters?

I don't know what biochemistry entails (and if there are any prerequisites for it the way you need to take general chemistry before orgo), but the university I am enrolling at only offers the course in the fall semester and orgo I during the fall semester and orgo II during the spring. I am 32, so I would really like to do this as fast as possible considering how long it will take me to become a doctor. I suppose there is the possibility of taking it online during the Spring 2025 semester (especially as I am only taking 3 classes that semester); do you think this will be frowned upon? I preliminary asked a few medical schools about taking statistics online (long story) and they said that would be fine. And I actually got into Scripps' post bacc program this year and they require you to take statistics and calculus before enrolling and said it can be taken anywhere -- online or at a community college.

Last edited:
How do you plan to cover the psychology/sociology concepts presented on the MCAT?

The only challenge you must face down is the time sink that didactic labs will have on your schedule. As a postbac non-degree you won't have a lot of priority picking your lab section times.

I would say if you have to take biochem in the summer, you can try that, but I'm not sure how you can still be on time and submit an MCAT when you need to.

Also what are your activities? Who will write your letters?

I took psychology and sociology classes in college. And lots and lots of writing classes as well (I'm transitioning from a career in communications to healthcare). Basically anything that medical schools would require that isn't a hard STEM class, I already have. There are many visiting students who take post bacc classes at this particular university and they have a process that will lead to a committee letter; I'm also in touch with two non-STEM professors I had in college, who can provide academic recommendation letters for me (they actually provided them when I applied to post bacc programs this cycle).
Not a lot of activities, I've been out of college for 8 years, but I have been volunteering at the ER room at a hospital (will have ~150 hours before I leave this city to take the post bacc classes). The university I'm enrolling at has a physician shadowing program with a local hospital which I am definitely doing and looking into doing research next academic year.

I also guess I should share more of my story: I have a successful career in politics and am currently working for a national healthcare advocacy organization. Bachelor's degree from HYP. Non science background, but feel inspired to leave my current career path to pursue medicine. I'm from a family of doctors, this point came up during my post bacc interviews even though I never explicitly talked about it. I thought I would do one of the fancy post bacc programs, but decided not to once I realized that I probably wouldn't "link" and how expensive they are. I'm moving back with my parents and taking the classes at a local university.

I suppose there is the possibility of taking it online during the Spring 2025 semester (especially as I am only taking 3 classes that semester); do you think this will be frowned upon? I preliminary asked a few medical schools about taking statistics online (long story) and they said that would be fine. And I actually got into Scripps' post bacc program this year and they require you to take statistics and calculus before enrolling and said it can be taken anywhere -- online or at a community college.
From what I know about online classes, some (but not all) med schools don't really accept them; it depends a bit on what type of class but the only universal situation was for any classes completed during COVID that were required to be online. And you absolutely cannot take Biochem before having finished general chemistry and at least Orgo 1 (at my school, you also need Orgo 2). You also don't strictly NEED to take psych/socy before the MCAT (I did not and chose to self-study), but again, points on the table.
Not a lot of activities, I've been out of college for 8 years, but I have been volunteering at the ER room at a hospital (will have ~150 hours before I leave this city to take the post bacc classes). The university I'm enrolling at has a physician shadowing program with a local hospital which I am definitely doing and looking into doing research next academic year.
Not all of your activities have to be in service of being "pre-med"; I assume you've been working during these 8 years? Definitely try the shadowing and research to strengthen things.

I am 32, so I would really like to do this as fast as possible considering how long it will take me to become a doctor.
You can do it fast...or you can do it well.
I'm not saying that you might not get in somewhere by rushing the process.
One becomes a physician over a lifetime. Rushing the beginning can change both your course and trajectory.

Last edited:
  • Love
Yes, I more or less worked during the 8 years I've been out of college. I talked about it with some other people, and it does seem like I am going to delay the MCATs until Spring 2026, and try to take some addition Biology coursework too. I know it's the right decision, but I am not looking forward to graduating medical school at 39!

Im curious how you plan to take gen chem 1 and 2 during the summer semester, since concepts from gen chem 1 are useful in gen chem 2 (and often is a prerequisite, not co-requisite)

There are two summer sessions at the university where I am taking the classes at; summer session 1 = gen chem 1 and summer session 2 = gen chem 2. I guess I lucked out in that sense (that I can take a year's worth of chemistry in a summer) as chemistry seems to be the foundation for all of this coursework!

There are two summer sessions at the university where I am taking the classes at; summer session 1 = gen chem 1 and summer session 2 = gen chem 2. I guess I lucked out in that sense (that I can take a year's worth of chemistry in a summer) as chemistry seems to be the foundation for all of this coursework!
good on you for doing that. I don't think I could do gen chem 2 in an accelerated timeline. Godspeed my premed warrior!

Hey guys,

I'm new to the whole premed thing as I'm a nontraditional student who is switching carer paths. I'll be quitting my full time job in a few weeks and taking the premed requirements full time over the next few semesters at a local university (no formal post bacc program). I have an academic plan set up for how to schedule the classes I'll be taking, which is the following:

Summer 2024​

Gen. Chem. 1 with lab
Gen. Chem. 2 with lab

Fall 2024​

Org. Chem. 1 with lab
Physics 1 with lab
Gen. Bio. 1 with lab
Statistics

Spring 2025​

Org. Chem. 2 with lab
Physics 2 with lab
Gen. Bio. 2 with lab

Fall 2025​

Biochemistry

The advisor who I spoke with said it would be fine to study biochemistry on my own and to apply to med schools stating that I'm currently taking it. I was just wondering how I should fit MCAT preparation into all of this. The advisor said I should take it sometime during summer 2025, but was vague about specifics. When should I start studying? What should my target test date be? I would prefer to take it on the earlier side, in case I want to retake it, and still have the ability to apply for Fall 2026 entry without placing myself at a disadvantage. I saw someone give the advice that it would be wise to apply early to a "throwaway" school which will allow AMCAS to verify transcripts without the need to apply blind. Once I get my score, I could add the appropriate schools (having prepared pre-written secondaries!). This will upload in a single business day. That seems like good advice.

Thank you!
You know yourself and how much you can handle. Personally taking bio physics and Orgo all in one semester is an incredible amount of work. I’d take my time and take one extra semester, spread it out (it won’t matter in 10 years from now) and spend more time with each course. It won’t only be easier you’ll be far less stressed

For taking the MCAT, I'd second mr. smiles for waiting to take the test until after you get some exposure to biochem/advanced orgo, but P/S concepts can be totally supplemented with using a few targeted resources, i.e. anki decks specifically on P/S and I think there's some P/S exclusive review sheets, so the in-class exposure is not that necessary. My friend at UVA's post-bacc spoke very highly of her advisors, so maybe reach out to them to make a solid gameplan - all the best!