I Need Help Making a Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pari0109

Reaction score
I know most people are tired of reading these kind of threads, but I need an honest voice and opinion about my decision.

I've taken the MCAT three separate times, always scoring between (498-501). My undergraduate GPA was 3.55 and graduate GPA was 3.77 (so about average). I feel that I have a pretty good EC resume (EMT for three years, 7-10 publications research publications, over 500 hours of clinical shadowing, worked/shadowed in a major hospitals in urban Mumbai and London, work as an adjunct research faculty at the University of Minnesota, and currently serve as a director for research for the same medical school).

I was planning on applying for this current cycle, the last MCAT I got back (third attempt) was still not the score I wanted, but I can take the MCAT one more time in mid-August. To be honest, I cannot promise that this fourth attempt will be much better, I thought I prepared well all three attempts and still has never seemed to click. Also, I have performed well on other large standardized tests (GRE, SAT, ACT), and the MCAT still seems to act as the outlier. Therefore, I need an answer for the following dilemma?

1) Do I take one more shot at the MCAT and risk a late application with a small chance for a better score?
2) Accept my situation (the MCAT will always be my kryptonite) and apply as I am?

I appreciate any and all help! Thank you!
-HP

Members don't see this ad.

I would just apply and aim for DO schools. And if there's no luck, Id commit myself 2-3 months to beat that mcat. It is do-able. Try using UWorld as a resource next time.

If you decided to take the MCAT again you would need to figure out what you did wrong and do something different this time. Have you figured that out yet?

If you decided to take the MCAT again you would need to figure out what you did wrong and do something different this time. Have you figured that out yet?

Honestly, no... My only hunch is that I need to do more full-length practice tests. I would basically take time off from my work and basically do a full-length exam every few (3ish days).

Members don't see this ad :)
How many practice exams did you take before the first 3 exams? IMO, a good number is 6-10. When you take practice exams make sure you do it under timed conditions and spend as much time reviewing them as you did taking them (if not more). Have you taken the AAMC practice exams already? Have you done ALL of the AAMC practice questions?

How many practice exams did you take before the first 3 exams? IMO, a good number is 6-10. When you take practice exams make sure you do it under timed conditions and spend as much time reviewing them as you did taking them (if not more). Have you taken the AAMC practice exams already? Have you done ALL of the AAMC practice questions?

For the last attempt, I did only two. I would definitely aim for closer to 10-15 before this one. I have taken the AAMC ones, but not for the third one (I think I did it for the second one). But will definitely go back to them now.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm willing to do anything, just need to hear someone else's voice.

Read through the tips for 509+ scorers thread. If you want to just apply with your current stats I think you have a shot for DO, but if you want to take it again then you need to change how you were studying. Eat, sleep, breathe the AAMC problems. They are the most similar to the exam and you need to do EVERY SINGLE problem they offer. I would even recommend doing them more than once. I did the SB twice and the CARS qpack twice.

In the last 2 months I did one practice exam per week (I was studying for the MCAT part time) and my score improved by 10 points between the first practice exam to the last one. The best way to improve your score is drilling practice exams and thoroughly reviewing them. The MCAT is mainly an analysis test. You need to get really good at breaking down passages.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a 505 on FL2. Then went through Uworld (which I believe is the best 3rd party company, and soon enough will be a standard for MCAT prep as it is for Step prep) and finished up MDHero (which is pure GOLD for content review), and then took two next step exams. Got a 517 on FL3. And a 512 on the real deal. If you work your ass off you can do it

Reactions: 1 user
I applied this cycle with a 3.7 GPA and 498 MCAT. I applied to 20 schools (all MD) and so far I have gotten 4 rejections. I am not expecting to get in, but that's just me.

I applied this cycle with a 3.7 GPA and 498 MCAT. I applied to 20 schools (all MD) and so far I have gotten 4 rejections. I am not expecting to get in, but that's just me.
@atm14834 - Maybe this is a stupid question, but why would you apply if you don't expect to get in, given that common wisdom is that reapplicants are at a relative disadvantage?

@atm14834 - Maybe this is a stupid question, but why would you apply if you don't expect to get in, given that common wisdom is that reapplicants are at a relative disadvantage?

Definitely not a stupid a stupid question, and I think my phrasing was bad. When I first sent in my application, I was super hopeful that out of 20 schools someone would accept me. It's not that I just applied thinking I wasn't a competitive applicant. Now, my hope is starting to dwindle away for this cycle. For me, that first rejection was upsetting, and getting several others doesn't really help anything. I still hope I get accepted, but now I am looking at it as more of "I'll try again next cycle" rather than getting my hopes up to much about this cycle. I think I was caught up in all the work it takes to apply and thought of my MCAT score as lower, but still acceptable for some schools. I was thinking more that the rest of my application would balance it out (and there is still that possibility). I guess it's not that I'm not not expecting to get in, just I think it would be easier on me if I just lowered my expectations for this cycle and tried again next cycle.

Definitely not a stupid a stupid question, and I think my phrasing was bad. When I first sent in my application, I was super hopeful that out of 20 schools someone would accept me. It's not that I just applied thinking I wasn't a competitive applicant. Now, my hope is starting to dwindle away for this cycle. For me, that first rejection was upsetting, and getting several others doesn't really help anything. I still hope I get accepted, but now I am looking at it as more of "I'll try again next cycle" rather than getting my hopes up to much about this cycle. I think I was caught up in all the work it takes to apply and thought of my MCAT score as lower, but still acceptable for some schools. I was thinking more that the rest of my application would balance it out (and there is still that possibility). I guess it's not that I'm not not expecting to get in, just I think it would be easier on me if I just lowered my expectations for this cycle and tried again next cycle.
Makes sense, and at this point it's probably healthy not to get your hopes up because that many rejections this early is not a good omen. Your GPA is fine (assuming your sGPA is also around 3.7), but unless you are URM (and probably, even if you are), you need around another 10 points on the MCAT to be competitive. Have you considered DO, since your MCAT is closer to competitive for them, and it's not too late to apply to them for this cycle?