I need help please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparroow

The Journey makes the man...
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i've been studying for step 6 weeks now. Finished my first pass of uworld(48%) 1/4th through 2nd pass (62%) and i've already taken 4 NBME'S (150, 155, 174 and 189) I do 2 sets of questions every day (9 hrs) and spend 2 hours on FA, pathoma and BnB. I dont know how else to take it to the next level. I'll appreciate any advice on how to maximize my preparation and my score.
NB: interested in PM&R, IM and FM.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, i've been studying for step 6 weeks now. Finished my first pass of uworld(48%) 1/4th through 2nd pass (62%) and i've already taken 4 NBME'S (150, 155, 174 and 189) I do 2 sets of questions every day (9 hrs) and spend 2 hours on FA, pathoma and BnB. I dont know how else to take it to the next level. I'll appreciate any advice on how to maximize my preparation and my score.
How does it take you 9 hrs to do 2 question sets, especially 2nd pass?

Reactions: 2 users
A) Are you drawing a complete blank on questions?

B) Or narrowing it down to two and then getting it wrong?

C) Are there particular questions you're getting wrong? ie Path vs Physiology or Cards vs GI?

If A, then your knowledge base needs work

If B, then it might be your confidence, or just brushing up. Are you second guessing yourself?

Do yoyu have test taking anxiety issues? If so, those can be fixed.

IF C, then it's a knowledge base issue. Focus less on your strengths, ID your deficits, and work on those. Clearly, you know some things. Start from that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely think my knowledge base is shaky, it takes me considerable time to conceptually wrap my head around certain things. And i also struggle with remembering things i recently learned hence why i spend a lot of time reviewing my uworld sets. I just dont know how to turn this around and if my approach is right.

A) Are you drawing a complete blank on questions?

B) Or narrowing it down to two and then getting it wrong?

C) Are there particular questions you're getting wrong? ie Path vs Physiology or Cards vs GI?

If A, then your knowledge base needs work

If B, then it might be your confidence, or just brushing up. Are you second guessing yourself?

Do yoyu have test taking anxiety issues? If so, those can be fixed.

IF C, then it's a knowledge base issue. Focus less on your strengths, ID your deficits, and work on those. Clearly, you know some things. Start from that.

Its all a mix of these, my confidence is definetly at a low rn. I was able to get by with B's and c's in all my modules. And i primarily focused on just knowing enough to pass.

Its all a mix of these, my confidence is definetly at a low rn. I was able to get by with B's and c's in all my modules. And i primarily focused on just knowing enough to pass.
You may have to satisfy yourself that you know just enough to pass Step I, and take it from there.

You should talk to your classmates whom you perceive as having done very well and get some advice.//tricks from them. Also, get to your school's learning or education center for help with your confidence and lso how to better make use of your time. I suspect that this might be a case of studying better, not harder.

Dude do not take the Step if your NBME's aren't comfortably in the passing range. See if you can take the first block of third year off to get extra studying time.

Try doing more questions faster and spend less time “studying” - read enough of the explanation to figure out which answer was right and why, why the one you picked was wrong, on to the next one in one minute or less, and if you spend 9 hours doing qs then you should be doing multiple hundreds of qs a day. Whatever you are doing is not working, and the number one thing people spend a ton of time doing that doesn’t work is rereading and highlighting and rereading again.

Get help from your school, too.