I need help......please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sophee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for IM this year. I passed step 1 on the 2nd attempt with 76, and passed step ll with 75. I have great letters, publication and A's in all rotations and good grades in Med school. Oh i am an FMG. I applied to 70 Im programs and not a single interview. i got 12 rejections............what are my chances...........I really want to do IM...............
Thanks.......

Members don't see this ad.

:love:
sophee said:
I am applying for IM this year. I passed step 1 on the 2nd attempt with 76, and passed step ll with 75. I have great letters, publication and A's in all rotations and good grades in Med school. Oh i am an FMG. I applied to 70 Im programs and not a single interview. i got 12 rejections............what are my chances...........I really want to do IM...............
Thanks.......

well I would consider calling your top 10 or so (that are left) and asking whats up. Did you apply to places that are IMG friendly?

EctopicFetus said:
well I would consider calling your top 10 or so (that are left) and asking whats up. Did you apply to places that are IMG friendly?
I think it is my score, what difference does it make, if you get the best letters and A's all your life........what is the point.......i applied to the fmgs and community hospitals, what are my chances for anything...........i am afraid if i don't get a residency at all

Sophee, did you take your step 2 CS yet? Maybe thats the reason. Are you ECFMG certified or whatever that qualification is? Do you have your visa and everything all set? I don't see how you could not have one interview with your stats! I understand your fear about the steps, but theres plenty of US grads that have failed their steps too - can you have your dean at your school look over your application to be sure everything is in order?

I wish you all the luck - let us know how it pans out :) I'll say a prayer for you too. :oops:

Poety said:
Sophee, did you take your step 2 CS yet? Maybe thats the reason. Are you ECFMG certified or whatever that qualification is? Do you have your visa and everything all set? I don't see how you could not have one interview with your stats! I understand your fear about the steps, but theres plenty of US grads that have failed their steps too - can you have your dean at your school look over your application to be sure everything is in order?

I wish you all the luck - let us know how it pans out :) I'll say a prayer for you too. :oops:

thanks for the support, i am a US citizen, i went to UCLA and have 8yrs of research experiance. Aside from my scores, i have all A's and letters from Im director and publication..............IM is very competitive now and being an FMG makes it even wors..................I have a couple of FP interviews which i would hate to even rank them, nothing against people who are practicing FP, i just want to do IM..............I don't know what to do................

Did you take Step 2 CS? Like the other person said. This would help. a Score of 75 = average which is more than enough for IM. Perhaps you could email one of the places that rejected you and you can ask if there are any deficiencies in your APP. I believe per the AMA web site (Freida) that 50% of IM is FMGs. Actually I looked it up and it is 50.8%

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/spcstsc/0,1238,140,00.html

Not so much for US-IMGs but I can forsee problems in the future with the foreign born FMGs providing primary care. I have seen this already!

EctopicFetus said:
Did you take Step 2 CS? Like the other person said. This would help. a Score of 75 = average which is more than enough for IM. Perhaps you could email one of the places that rejected you and you can ask if there are any deficiencies in your APP. I believe per the AMA web site (Freida) that 50% of IM is FMGs. Actually I looked it up and it is 50.8%

http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/spcstsc/0,1238,140,00.html

Not so much for US-IMGs but I can forsee problems in the future with the foreign born FMGs providing primary care. I have seen this already!

Well, for your more info, i was born here, and i am a third generation, i went to a carriabian med school, and that makes me a FMG.
Most of programs are 70%FMG, but they all have 90's, because they study for 10 years and then prepare another 10 years, so that lowers my chances significantly. I have no idea what to do.

sophee said:
thanks for the support, i am a US citizen, i went to UCLA and have 8yrs of research experiance. Aside from my scores, i have all A's and letters from Im director and publication..............IM is very competitive now and being an FMG makes it even wors..................I have a couple of FP interviews which i would hate to even rank them, nothing against people who are practicing FP, i just want to do IM..............I don't know what to do................

Sophee, did you take the step 2 cs? I saw this with one other FMG post where they didn't get a match because they didn't have the step 2 cs completed. I hope thats all it is - and if it is, go take it! I don't see how a program could not interview you with all that reserach and great grades.